Bad news from New Zealand

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great that no one was hurt, seems a lot of these planes have U/C failure, any reason or am I mistaken?

I was working in the car park during the airshow on Friday and missed it going in, but we heard about it. The pilot was okay, but a little shaken. It made its airshow debut at the 2013 Classic Fighters Airshow and Frank Walker, the pilot bounced it in after one display - still getting the hang of it I guess, but from what I heard this time around it was undercarriage failure. Mind you that far corner of Omaka is a bit bumpy.

The real ones were VERY good aircraft. The acccident rate was not significant.

The modern Flugwerk replicas are another thing entirely. They donlt fly like the real bird (according to Steve Hinton, who HAS flown the real bird), are assembled as a kit, and usually have Russian engines in them. They are nothing like a real Fw 190 except in looks and are about half or less as strong as a real Fw 190 due to differences in materials and included structure.

It does make me wonder how long it will be before someone gets killed in one of these 'reproductions'.
Cheers
Steve

It does make me wonder how long it will be before someone gets killed in one of these 'reproductions'.
Cheers
Steve

I agree, Steve.
Those reproductions had better be made of Carbon FRP with original appearances as the material is very sturdy and hard to burn.
Our F-2 fighter proved it 8 years ago when crashed. It bounded several times like a rubber plane on the ground but did not collapse.

F-2 Nagoya AP.JPG

The 190 incident was a bit of a talking point at work and I mentioned the info Joe posted, which brought about a bit of a wince from my colleagues. Another guy who works at the airshow said that the pilot might have been taxying too fast. I did mention that it was quite bumpy on that patch of the airfield, not wishing to blame the pilot before we know anymore. Apparently the left leg collapsed first, then the right. The left leg folded outwards toward the tip, taking a chunk of the leading edge out with it.

The owner's probably not that pleased; a weekend of mixed fortunes for him as he received his brand spanking new Spitfire XIV this weekend, which took part in the flying display, although it did have a few minor niggles that kept the hood off the engine for much of the day on Sunday. I do love a Griffon engined Spitty; this is it being put to bed after the show had finished. It's so fresh from restoration that it hasn't got its serial (NH799) or unit markings yet.

NH799%20Bedtime_zpsazl1foe9.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back