Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Imalko, great pic!!!!

Attachments

• Condor-dog2-Zoom.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 765
  • 4945609yrN.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 769
  • Mitsubishi_G4M_Betty_splashed.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 738
  • DOMBS_~1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 752
  • 140192572506.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 752
Great shot of that KG.40 FW 200 Imalko - any details ?

I've seen a couple of pics with one that landed at base with a PAC round the wing, but this is new.

Nice work !

BC

That FW 200 picture is just amazing! I have never seen that one before. The background is so clear it looks fake or that it was take at Oshkosh with black white film. Please tell me you have more just like that one. So much detail, I guess it puts the "don't highlight the panel lines" argument to rest! You can even see quite clearly where the factory codes or previous unit codes when painted over and the new ones applied. So much atmosphere in this picture I just can't stop staring at it...it...is...hypnotizing.

Sadly, I heard the dog, "Little Adolf" was hit by a kubelwagon a few days after this picture was taken.

On a lighter note, the story that I have heard that goes with the Betty picture is that at least part of the crew came out fighting. Firing at the ship from where this picture was taken until they were either gunned down or killed themselves. Can't remember which… Can anyone confirm this?

...Imalko - any details ?
I've seen a couple of pics with one that landed at base with a PAC round the wing, but this is new.

Nothing more then info already posted with the picture caption - the aircraft was flown by Captain Eduard Wright of 506th FS 404th FG.

Here's another interesting one from the same source (Kagero Publications):

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 741
Donald W. Stoulil Crew
19 December 1943 - Pre-combat Formation Training mission: In 359th BS B-17G # 42-39769 Missmanooki. This B-17 was assigned to the Lt Billy Goolsby Crew, the officers of which were roommates of the Lt Stoulil crew. The Stoulil crew borrowed the B-17 for the formation practice flight. Missmanooki had flown on two combat missions with the Goolsby crew. After �four hours of dodging flak over Bedford and Northampton� Lt Stoulil landed the B-17 at Molesworth. During the landing roll the landing gear switch was accidentally activated causing the landing gear to retract. The B-17 was heavily damaged and was sent to the boneyard for salvage. The biggest problem was telling the Goolsby crew what they did to their B-17.

Note how the Ball turret looks, it is totally crushed.

Time I re-started this thread?

Try these:

Comments welcome!

BC

Attachments

• 216267509BQKupJ_ph.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 438
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry the other two pics were too BIG !

Will have to resize and re-send.

Again, comments welcomed.

BC