Best flying boat/amphibian of WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Somehow I don't see any other of the flying boat/amphibians doing the same amount work of as the Catalina....ASW, torpedo/dive bombing attacks, rescue, transport, ambulance (I think)...certainly not the torpedo/dive bombing attacks at night....:lol:

Btw Adler, what do you think about the Blohm Voss BV 138?

Yes, Curtiss was first as far as I know. Another interesting little factoid you might not be aware of is that the Pemberton Billing company of Great Britain proposed a series of 'Flying Life-Boats' in the years before World War One.

As these were the opposite of submarines (passing over the waves instead of under them) they coined the name 'Supermarines' for this invention, some years after adopting it as the company trade mark they went on, of course, to invent the Spitfire.

jn3b.jpg

Yes, Curtiss was first as far as I know. Another interesting little factoid you might not be aware of is that the Pemberton Billing company of Great Britain proposed a series of 'Flying Life-Boats' in the years before World War One.

Wow! Great trivia waynos! But I don't think Supermarine even had any Flying boats in the WWII era did they?

What do you mean by "British" hull type?

Jumbled my words?...

...modified later, it became one of the first amphibious flying boats to be produced in Europe.

The first British floatplane? The Gnosspelius Hydro-monoplane No.2 of 1911...

when we say "best amphibian", I believe we have to consider the whole range of floatplanes that were fielded, and not just the "best seaplane", which you guys are concentrating on.

The Japanese completely dominated this area of aviation, in every category.

IMO, the categories to consider are:

Best ship based Fighter
F1M pete (1939-42), A6M Rufe (1942-43), N1K Rex (1944-5)

Best Ship Based Recon:
E-13 Jake, E-16 Paul

Best Submarine Float plane

E14Y glen, M6A Aichi Seiran

Best Large Seaplane
H8K Emily

when we say "best amphibian", I believe we have to consider the whole range of floatplanes that were fielded, and not just the "best seaplane", which you guys are concentrating on.

The Japanese completely dominated this area of aviation, in every category.

Best Large Seaplane
H8K Emily

What would your criteria be? Range? Durability? Payload?

Did the Japanese have different mission priorities than US/UK amphibeans?

Best flying boat, and this is a aircraft that using its fuselage as a floating hull, is surely the H8K. in this field there isn't challenge

Freebird
"But I don't think Supermarine even had any Flying boats in the WWII era did they?"

Supermarine Flying boats/amphibians in service use during WWII
Stranrarer
Walrus
Sea Otter

Better question would be what was the worst seaplane. Too many good ones (Dornier, Cat, Sunderland, ect) to pick a really good one. But a really bad one, that might be easier.

But none come to mind offhand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back