Bf109E-1 Jg54 Battle of Britain Group Build

This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Never really had reason to need one Wayne, but that might change now I've seen the number of E1s still around in the BoB, as shown in the Jagdwaffe BoB volumes!
That drawing is just what I need Wayne! Thanks!

It looks like there are some more panel lines to fill on the bottom of the wing.
Here's the plan:

Last edited:
Me too. Don't often see many E1 models, so it'll be good to see the open MG ports instead of protruding cannon. Thinks; I need some cannon for an upcoming 'on the side' BoB project - time to experiment with flaring hypodermic needle tubes !
I need some advice here guys. What do you find is the best thing to fill in panel lines with? I usually use thick CA for a filler, but on a flat surface It's a lot of work to sand flush again (as I found out when filling in the holes from the cannon bulge removal)
Milliput works well especially the ultrafine white. After mixing roll it out into a thin wire, place into panel line and press in with a damp paper towel or cotton bud. Any excess can be cleaned off with the wet towel. Usually very little sanding is needed.
Of course sanding is one of ways you can go with .Also Magnu's way sounds very good. But if you want to avoid the sanding dust you can use a putty made of a light grey paint ( enamel) and talc powder.Let the mixture be dried a little bit then use a thinner for the paint you used to remove the putty excess and make the surface clean and smooth. Certainly try to leave some of the putty in these panel lines. For removing of the putty excess you can use a soft rag.
Last edited:
That's the way I do fine panel lines too Glenn, although I mainly use gloss varnish and talc. The paint and talc is better, as it shows up better, so you know what you've filled and what you haven't - if that makes sense. The gloss varnish and talc is good for finishing over a painted area, such as around a canopy. Another method is to use PVA, wiping off the excess with a wet finger tip, although this would mainly be used in fine seams and joints, such as wing root joints, windscreen to fuselage joints etc etc.
Thanks guys, I think I'll try the paint talc as I have both items on hand. I'll have to get some Milliput sometime. I was wishing I had some on hand today when I made seat cushions for the 109s. I used scraps of paper towel soaked in water-downed PVA glue. Turned out Ok, but I think I could have gotten more detail out of Milliput.

Last edited:
Seemed to work pretty good David. the towel is folded over to make the shape of the cushion, then I dipped them in the water-downed glue totally saturating it, then pressed it into the seat. I was going to pop it out to paint it, but it was stuck good, so I'll just leave it and paint it in place. Tonight I gang drilled a slit in the tip of each seat where the seat belts come through. We'll see how it all looks with paint on it. I'll post pictures after that.
Feel free David :)

I got quite a bit completed earlier today.

Pic 1) Seat cushions painted and starting to rig the foil harness. Thanks for the idea Wojtek (I used apple sauce instead of yogurt)
Pic 2) The completed seats for both the E-1 and E-4
Pic 3) Completed cockpit assemblies for both aircraft minus panels
Pic 4) Finished sidewalls
Pics 5 6) Assemblies snapped into right and left fuselage halves.

If I have time tonight I am going to work on the panels and if all goes well I might get the fuselage closed up, but I'm not holding my breath. :lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread