Brooks' Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice Aaron of the two I like the first shot the best I can also see what may be a potential shot in the hub cap reflection with bit of hard cropping

Some good work there my friend nicley exposed

You guys get all the fun !:(

Thats a cracking broadside shot of Quicksilver, nicely 'panned' and well caught.....wish I'd taken that shot !

Thank you guys. I took about 270 shots of Quick Silver in the air and maybe, just maybe 10 of them are usable. But I had a FRIGGIN BLAST! I was headed down to the airport with my dad and was sitting at a stoplight when I heard a supercharged Merlin fly over. I didn't see it, just heard it. The goose bumps popped up and I gave a Tim Taylor sigh. My dad said "What was that?", and I said "THAT was a Rolls Royce Merlin with a supercharger strapped to it.", he said" How do you know that?", and I said "Cause once you've heard one you NEVER forget what the sound like. I could hardly contain myself. That's probably why my shots didn't turn out so well.:lol:

I'm doing something WRONG!! Every time I try to move the photo out of Photo Shop into my pictures it moves it but when I try to upload the photo the the thread it tries to move the whole Photo Shop program. I've been at it for three and a half hours now. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

I don't know what you're doing wrong when it comes to saving your photo in PS, but here's my crop-suggestion:

When it comes to pan shots, I learned a thing on a media course once upon a long time ago:
Always keep a little more air in front of the vehicle than at the rear.
It makes sense for the brain when it comes to movement in a still photo or a moving image.

If you just want to show the P-51 as it is - a really nice picture showing the plane as it is - crop it so that it is centered.
Like this rough version:

IMG_4421%20resized%2025_BBver2.jpg

If you want to keep a bit of impression of the forward movement of the plane, leave a little more space from front end of plane to edge of picture.
Like this rough version:

IMG_4421%20resized%2025_BBver1.jpg

I've rotated the image a little (0.85 degrees) so that the runway that forms a line in the photo, gets levelled out.
Then I did Auto Levels and finished off with Unsharp Mask - I usually use this configuration for the Unsharp Mask.
This way the UM don't get too harsh - i.e. it doesn't show that you've used it, as some PS users mistakenly tend to use a config of the UM that's too harsh in my opinion:

Amount: 60 %
Radius: 2 pixels
Threshold: 10 levels.

I'd prefer to crop it like this, but it's also a matter of personal preferences, and it also depends on what you're going to use the photo for:

IMG_4421%20resized%2025_BBver3.jpg

Last edited:
I've got it cropped similar to your last rendition there BB. I just can't get it moved out of Photoshop so that I can post it. It's maddening. I've been at it for two days now and I have nothing to show.:evil: Hopefully I'll get it figured out soon.

The way you repay it is by helping someone else down the road. There were many who helped me in my photography as I learned and grew. Imparting knowledge on people asking for help is the way it gets repaid. It passes on the knowledge.

Here are a couple I've been playing around with. I'm working on the cropped one some more. When I get the aged effect like I want I'll post one. Let me know what you think.:oops:
4337- P-51 Black and White resized 25.jpg

IMG_4421 P-51 Quick Sliver Cropped resized 25.jpg

Last edited:
The first one is a nice bank angle. If I can make a suggestion though, try and stay with a uniform size when you resize. For portrait orientation, 480x640 is best for screen viewing. For landscape orientation about 750 pixels wide is a good size. It's best to try and not go over 1024 wide because some folks still have smaller screens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back