Bruised - but still going

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
So last Friday I was going home to begin a fantastic weekend. It was hot (104) so it didn't feel too good riding the motorcycle on the two lane blacktop county road, but I was glad I was about 1/4 mile from our ranch. I noticed two boys on bicycles in front of me, both riding in my lane. I slowed and as I approached, pulled in the clutch and gave it a good VROOM-VROOM so they could hear me as I got closer. I made my move to the other lane to pass and the boy in the back decided at THAT EXACT moment, he wanted to cross the road and leaned into a sharp left turn.

I locked up the tires and cranked the handlebars hard to the left in hopes to avoid him. Now at this point, the rest is just from putting the pieces together as I don't remember much. My hard left turn didn't work and we collided with me doing about 45 (the speed limit was 70 so I had slowed down that much). A witness said I flipped over my bike and landed head first on the pavement (yes, I had a helmet on). My bike, being very contorted as a result of my failed hard left turn attempt, then flipped and landed on me, then bounced off. I continued to flip, flop, and tumble for another 150 feet, included sliding down the not very steep embankment of the road......you know, down where those kids SHOULD HAVE BEEN riding their bikes in the first place.

Does the word "OUCH" cover it????

So the bike is wrecked, I have some good road rash and two VERY bruised legs and feet, and some large blisters from where the bike landed on my hands, but miraculously, nothing ruptured or broken. The kid is fine, just a few cuts and scrapes. If I would have cut right, I would have T-boned him and that would not have been good at all.

I'm done with motorcycles. With as much fun as they can be, it's just not worth it. I have dodged SUV's, pigs, cows, tractors, horses, idiots in cars, 18 wheelers, and a freakin kid on a bicycle takes me out.

Thor, I'm glad your ok, well somewhat ok. Everytime I think about getting one and and riding someone in the area dies on one so I'm not even going to think about it anymore. People JUST DON'T PAY ATTENTION!:mad:

Glad you are okay!

A friend of mine had a motorcycle accident on Saturday. He was T-Boned by a car. He came out with minor cuts and bruises but his wife who was on the back of the bike has two crushed shinbones and knees as well as a broken collar bone. She just had her 2nd surgery today.

As much as I would love to own a Harley, that is the reason why I will not have one. It really is just a matter of time until something happens.

WOW!!!!! Glad you are OK, for the most part.

You should consider yourself very lucky to have not been injured any more than you were. Particularly after doing a head plant into pavement and then having the bike land on you.
I too gave up riding after my accident, just too many other close calls and then the one that got me. Still have troubles with a bad shoulder and toes from mine.

Not sure how they removed the tar and dirt from your road rash, but I remember the removal of mine being very painful.

Get well.

Last edited:
glad you're alive man, so what repercussions are going to happen with the kid and his parents as he broke the law ? you have rights to pursue this even if you don't want to.

Glad to hear you're all in one piece (albeit one multi-colored piece)!

Seen way too many motorcycle accidents in my time, and eaten quite a bit of pavement on pedal-bikes to ever have a desire to jump on a motorcycle.

As a fellow rider who understands the pitfalls of motorcycling I'm happy your just banged up and you will recover ok. Have to understand once you put your leg over a cycle you are taking a risk of something happening. I just bought a BMW K1600GLT with extended warranty, SHould run into my 60th birthday. I will re-evaluate bikes at that time. Out here in Colorado I enjoy it too much to give it up. In time you might want to try again,the old adage of get back on the horse after it tossed you. Heal fast and keep the rubber side down.

Thanks everyone.

Buck, you are so right. Cleaning the wounds (I forget what it's called too) hurts so bad. And the cream they use to "numb" the wounds is like acid. I called it a "Jar of Evil" which made all the ER nurses laugh. Without a doubt, that was the worst pain of the night and I told them not to use it anymore. The nurse told me how the numbing cream works. Once applied, it makes all the nerves fire at once sending pain impulses to the brain, which overloads it and causes it to stop receiving pain notices. Not fun stuff.

Sorry to hear about your accident Thor! Hope you heal quickly! Things like this always scare me away from buying a motorcycle, too many ways for someone else to ruin your day. Especially now that I have a child of my own, hate to see him fatherless due to a motorcycle accident. I do believe when your time is up, it's up, but I hate to tempt fate! I'll stick to old cars.

Thanks everyone.

Buck, you are so right. Cleaning the wounds (I forget what it's called too) hurts so bad. And the cream they use to "numb" the wounds is like acid. I called it a "Jar of Evil" which made all the ER nurses laugh. Without a doubt, that was the worst pain of the night and I told them not to use it anymore. The nurse told me how the numbing cream works. Once applied, it makes all the nerves fire at once sending pain impulses to the brain, which overloads it and causes it to stop receiving pain notices. Not fun stuff.

Well, I had blocked that part of it from my memory, until now;) Actually I don't remember too much pain from the solution they put on my shoulder, I do remember the sting of the stiff bristled brush they used though. Brother-In-law that brought me to the ER nearly passed out watching them clean me up, that made up for the pain somewhant;)
It is amazing the kind of punishment a body can take without getting seriously injured though.

Last edited:
Man Thor, glad to hear you're ok (all things considered) and it'll be a while before the ol' joints loosen up.

I've donated my fair share of skin to the asphalt over the years, all due to idiots who just don't consider a motorcycle anything more than an annoyance blocking thier path. And trust me, I've had nothing but big bikes (GPZ1100, GSX1100R, 1939 Indian; Military Messenger model, etc) so size doesn't seem to be of any help...

As I've gotten older, I've also discovered that those old "layin' down" wounds tend to give you a real accurate reading when the weather either changes, or is about to change :/

By the way, back in my street surfing days, they used to use a green liquid that was both a numbing and antiseptic solution along with a little stiff bristle brush on my road herpes...I'm pretty sure the antiseptic qualities were there, but as far as the numbing goes, it felt like they were gently massaging my injuries with a Black Decker belt sander :0

I'm done with motorcycles. With as much fun as they can be, it's just not worth it. I have dodged SUV's, pigs, cows, tractors, horses, idiots in cars, 18 wheelers, and a freakin kid on a bicycle takes me out.

Glad to hear that you and the boy are alive. Coulda been much worse. I got off my motorcycle in the late 1980s and have no intention of ever getting back on. But I sure do miss it. Nothing else in the world like it.

You got that right Matt. I'm missing it already. Still, IMO, it's just not worth it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back