CF-5A Freedom Fighter Kitbashed 1/48 Monogram F-5E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shame you're not going to make it Andy, you put in some hard yards on this one. I'll certainly have you page-marked to the end, as for the retiring, highly recommended, I almost ran out the door when my turn came just over 6 years ago now and I've cherished and enjoyed every day since and more so in the past year with all you guys.

With the 109 gloss coat drying, I did a little work on my CF-5.

On of the challenges I had was that, with the wider fuselage of the F-5E from which I borrowed the wings, I had to figure out a way to contour them to fit the more slender F-5A profile while maintaining the correct wingspan. I ended up Photoshoping a plan view drawing and converting it to 1/48 scale to get the correct wing profile. When cut out, I placed the the scale wing diagram onto the wing to be cut and marked the cut line Pics 1 and 2.

The wings in both kits I used were molded with a fuselage section which allowed for a stronger assembly. Having cut the wings off, I needed a way to make a strong wing-to-fuselage joint. To accomplish this, I cut a length of steel rod and inserted it into a space in the model fuselage with copious amounbts of CA glue and pinched it in with a thinned piece of square plastic rod. The rod goes through to the other side and corresponding holes were drill in both wings to receive the rod (Pic 3 shows rod in fuselage (below) and corresponding wing (above)). A similar detail will be made behind the wheel well and then the wings will be glued on after the rest of the fuselage scribing and sanding is complete.

Thanks to everyone who remains interested in this build. I do intend to keep moving on it between other projects.

Attachments

• 100919 Scale Wing Overlaid.jpg
    100919 Scale Wing Overlaid.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 100919 Wing Area to Cut.jpg
    100919 Wing Area to Cut.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 100919 Wing pins.jpg
    100919 Wing pins.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 110
Nice work, and a great solution. I think I would have been lazy, and either left it as it was, or reduced the tips and re-engraved. It's a good feeling to know that it's the right span at the right place though !

Nice work, and a great solution. I think I would have been lazy, and either left it as it was, or reduced the tips and re-engraved. It's a good feeling to know that it's the right span at the right place though !

I toyed with that ideaTerry, but thie thing is that the wheel wells get screwed up. The portion in the wing turnes out to be too long for the gear door. Also there's a section that tapers inward that would have gotten ridiculously narrow. If you look at the photo with the paper scaled wing on it, the section of wheel well next to the F in "CAF" would have had to extend about an eighth of an inch further toward the fuselage and it would have looked totally wrong.

Cheers guys.

Lot's of work still on the cockpit mechanism. Left that till the heavy work outside is done as there's too much can be prone to breaking off.

Yep, see what you mean about the wheel wells. Great work so far mate, and I bet you didn't think there would be as much involved when you first planned the conversion ! There always seems to be something that comes to light once committed !!

Thanks Terry. I got a hint of the issue with the wings before I even started actually. When I was researching decals, I came across a company called Belcher Bits that sells a conversion kit for a 1/32 scale Hasegawa F-5E to make it a CF-5A. I got a lot of ideas from the instructions on their site and one of the things they specifically pointed out was the needed wing surgery.

But you're right. The one thing I just want to get behind me is all the sanding and scribing.

Yeah, I know that feeling ! What was that thing called I was forever sanding, bodging, sanding and scribing?
Oh b*ll*cks - it's the *uccaneer, and I still have to finish it !

Yeah, I know that feeling ! What was that thing called I was forever sanding, bodging, sanding and scribing?
Oh b*ll*cks - it's the *uccaneer, and I still have to finish it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back