CF-5A Freedom Fighter Kitbashed 1/48 Monogram F-5E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On tonight's episode of Men's Health (cough) we deal with the nether regions underneath......

...the engines.

The Testitaleriogram kits contain no details in this area except for the arrestor hook. Close inspection of the below photo shows a couple of scoop-type intakes, rather oddly offset from the centerline, as well as a couple of square indentations with a small opening in each corner, also slightly assymetrically set off from the centerline.

CF-5A%20Cold%20Lake%20021.jpg

To make the scoop, I first glued two pieces of card together, with the one on top slightly longer so that it would overhand the lower one. Once the glue had set, I cut two strips off to make the 2 individual rough scoops and then rounded the edges and back carefully with a file. Good thing there's no rug where I work.

100824 Scoop.jpg

To make the square ducts, I drilled some small holes into the model and cut out the squares. I then inserted a card through the still open exhausts in the back and doused it with liquid glue to provide a backing in the holes. I then cut pieces of card to the exact size of square holes, cut the notch in the corners, and then carefully inserted them into the holes on a slope with the front flush with the underside. These were then set with liquid glue. A little scribing and this is what it looks like now.

100824 Enginer Underside.jpg

There's still some more scribing and sanding to do in this area so the panel lines aren't quite done yet - just roughed in. Talk to you later.

By the way, I've decided on a scheme. 434 Squadron RCAF based at Chatham New Brunswick 1985 because I like the little lobster. Leading Edge decals.

Attachments

• Scheme.jpg
    Scheme.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 100
Excellent work Andy, and I like the colour scheme - rather RAF what !
I planned a RAF 'What if?' some time ago, and made this profile, although it was going to be a single seat version.

Attachments

• F5 'RAF' plan.jpg
    F5 'RAF' plan.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 103
Thanks guys. Terry, I do believe you're right old chap, it does look ratha RAF.

The first CF-5s had a pale gray underbelly along with the grey/green wave camo. In 1980, they converted to a wrap around scheme like in the profile.

I was leaning toward the agressor camo but would have had to scrounge or make decals for it.

In a turn of events befitting the "what annoyed you today" thread, I suddenly learned today that I need to go an a business trip over the weekend and will not be able to work on this project for 3 days. This effectively snuffs out whatever remaining possibility I had of finishing this build before August 30, the end of the Cold War GB.

However, I will carry on and finish this and will keep you posted of progress.

I so want to retire...

Like your plan Andy....the retiring bit....sounds real good....pity it's still a long way off...:(

Well you will just have to join my "running late but will get there eventually" process.....:D

Agreed, the retiring part sounds good, although my wife would probably have me so busy I would get even less modeling time in. Keep on it Andy! I want to see how this comes out!!

Why, does that make it better?

Yes, charter to the Shell Albian airfied, middle of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back