**** DONE : 1/48 F-100D Super Sabre – 511th FBG, 405th FBW.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Almost finished folks. Have pulled out all the stops this last couple of days, want to get it finished before a short holiday. So here is a little preview of my almost finished 3rd Cold War GB entry. Maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off I may get a final coat of 'one go' onto it and the fit the canopy.

4-A1 Done.jpg

4-A2 Done.jpg

4-A4 Done.jpg

4-A6 Done.jpg

4-A8 Done.jpg

4-B1 Done.jpg

4-B3 Done.jpg

That's it from me folks for a couple of weeks, I'm off to Bali for a week's hols via my favourite stop over, Singapore. I'll post the entry when I come back as at the moment the sun is hiding behind heavy rain clouds, not that were complaining.

Last edited:
Vic, thank you for taking enough interest in the 511th Fighter Bomber Squadron to make up a model using its markings.

I have a few nit picks that I would like to mention, but they are not meant to distract from your admirable model and your efforts to make it.

The 511th was a squadron and not a group.

I don't recall ever seeing the missiles shown on your model mounted on any aircraft of the 405th Fighter Bomber Wing.

(I was in the 511th FBS when they first got F-100D aircraft to replace their F-84Fs (1956). I volunteered for transfer to the 509th FBS when they were getting ready to go to Germany in 1957. The 405th was disbanded in 1958 soon after the 509th returned from Germany. So I was in the 405th for the whole time that they had F-100Ds.)

We did take nuclear bombs with us and had several aircraft standing at the ready with the nukes mounted on the wing racks all the time we were in Germany.

I am curious how you dated the picture of FW-796 standing near the KB-29 as May 1959. The way I remember it, the 511th FBS did not exist in May 1959.

I remember that I went on leave for thirty days after the 509th returned to Langley in 1958 and when I went to report in to the orderly room after my leave was up, the barracks of the 509th, 510th and 511th were entirely empty and there was no one in any of the squadron offices. I had to go to Wing Headquarters to report in and they gave me orders assigning me to the 405th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron in April 1958. On 20 May 1958 I was transferred to the 345th CAMS with orders from the 345th Bombardment Wing. It was my understanding that the 405th no longer existed at that time.

I think the picture was taken during an Open House/Airshow. (I have a color picture of the F-100D that I had worked on as Crew Chief (FW-846) taken during an Open House in 1958 near a KB-29 similar to your picture but the tail number of the KB-29 is different.)

That's a pity you haven't posted the info here when the build was running. Now it is closed by the way.

Anyway THX for sharing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back