Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I do not know much about decals, except the ones I have used for each kit I've assembled. :|

I have learned that to avoid silvering, you should try to keep the surface as smooth as possible and also cut the decal as close to the edge as possible.
In the vertical stabilizers (first photo of post # 617) I trimmed each of the "Rs" and the tricolor frame, which came in a single piece, which gave rise to much area without ink printing. So I also made the task of making cuts for the first time with a new No.11 blade :arrow:... and only cutting the adhesive layer without cutting the base paper of the decal. ...:!::shock:

Several pieces that I applied have been broken by manipulating them in their final position, but I have tried to "join the pieces", in the best possible way ... and you can see this in several images of # 617, which I include now, and surely in some more that I still have yet to attend. :lying:

To make the assembly of the decals more complicated, in this section of the side windows of the waist are a pair of huge decals ...

534.jpg

535.jpg

They include a large part of the unprinted surface, they cover the whole area of that "metal curtain" that cuts the air to the gunners (To the right side of the big star), ... and they are designed for this version, with the windows closed, ... and I did it with the open windows!! 8-[

I have also learned how to cut the decals to facilitate their application in complicated places ... (never so complicated as on this first occasion)

Uff !! What a complication, first, I had to remove the tape that covered the window ...

533.jpg
536.jpg
537.jpg

... but it was the first window and it was until later to suffer to place the pieces, that I realized that I should have cut in more parts the original decal, which would have facilitated much more its application. :changes:

For all the decals that are still missing, I will make more cuts. I'm going to have to do some touch-up brush and paints to fill in some gaps and small spaces between pieces that were broken or lost in the process. :-k

Actually the Micro Sol has done an extraordinary job. These last photos still have the fresh MS, but once dry, the decals have been very well adhered to all the different contours and reliefs. Depending on the area, I gave it 2 to 4 applications, ... I liked the result. O:)

Well, now I'm going to work on the right side and the wings, [-o< ... give me luck !!

Greetings to all with affection and thanks for your samples of support, knowledge, suggestions and more than 6000 visits !!

Luis Carlos :thumbup:

I am very grateful for your kind words to my colleagues Wurger, Gnomey, fubar57, Airframes, Robert Porter & Crimea_River.
:wav:

On the right side of the fuselage, I have managed to place 65% of the total decals !!
They are very thin, the Micro Set has done its work, once placed in its place and applied the Micro Sol, they look almost as if they were painted, ... the only drawback is that in practically all decals greater than 1cm2, they have been broken but fortunately (so far) I have rescued them in 95%

The large decal that surrounds the right window of the gunner I cut it with scissors and scalpel in "eight" parts ... (the numbering is the order in which I will place them)

539.jpg

... THE ORIGINAL PHOTO (with the window closed !!)

0001.jpg

And only in the first 2 (covering the top with the text in semicircle and "the metallic curtain") took several, but several minutes in the measurement of spaces, calculating distances; ...check it with the actual photos (as first part) and the process to place each one (the second part). :mylipsaresealed:

So I decided to leave it like this, apply MS to all the advancement of the side and let it stay overnight.
I hope today to be able to finish the fuselage completely and move to the wings !!

As a saying goes here in Mexico: "It is better step by step that I endure and not trot that I fatigue"

Hasta pronto amigos :thumbup:

Doing well LC. :thumbright:

However, looking at your effot I would say it would be better to make paper copies of the markings and trimming them to the needed shape firstly. And then using these paper templates cut the decals. In this way you would be able to keep most of the decal markings in one piece. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Not making things easy for you Luis but patience is rewarded

You are right Geo, ... I am the first astonished of my patience and equanimity, :shock:... Some years ago I would have sent my Lib away very far. !! :letitallout:
My therapist is making progress in me ...:angel12:

Doing well LC. :thumbright:

However, looking at your effot I would say it would be better to make paper copies of the markings and trimming them to the needed shape firstly. And then using these paper templates cut the decals. In this way you would be able to keep most of the decal markings in one piece. Just my opinion.

It's a big tip W., and I've seen it in other modeling projects; ... and I did not think of it (I've never done it before); I took the inspiration of today's morning to finish once with the decal of 8 parts (and I think it was not so bad, I will show you the whole process of decals already completed). :magnifyglass::magnifyglass::magnifyglass:

But with the challenge of all the suffered, learned, stressful and fun that has been this stage, I will keep in mind everything recommended.
I remember battling a bit while practicing, with the decals of my Yak-3, those of the Buffalo and my Spitfire, ... the others behaved better., ... but these Lib !!!

Gracias, saludos y hasta al rato! :thumbup:

Last edited:
... I'VE FINISHED WITH THE DECAL STAGE !!

Let me show you some of what the application has been ... (the eight-part decal) :ramboface:

It is a bit of masochism, but I think it can be illustrative and sure someone has already gone through it or surely it will be up to him to live it ... everything has some sort of solution always...

540.jpg
541.jpg
542.jpg

... Auch!! #-o

543.jpg

... here was where I decided to retire and continue the next day ... :-#
(The panoramic with everything in order for a new day of challenges ... jejeje)

544.jpg

... at the next night I continued alternating times between the wings and the fuselage...

546.jpg

... finishing with the decals, I decided to retouch those small parts where there were broken decay accidents (blue, white and yellow), ... =; ... it was then when I improved the real appearance of the marked impacts on the fuselage, in the real photos you can see some "Splashed" in each impact, with a projectile painted in red, ... the decals do not bring "the splashed" and do not include all the projectiles drawn.
I have original photos of the B-24 "Bond Tour" (I have exposed some along this thread) with all the emblems and marks of those impacts that the airplane suffered in its journeys and missions. ... what do you think?

547.jpg
550.jpg

the eight-part decal and the rest of the section ...

548.1.jpg

... a question that arises to me, ... does anyone know what the impacts marked with white and / or light blue mean, and what does the brown sign mean?
In a moment I come back with something more of the advance of last night ... :firestarter: ...:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back