Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice work on the canopy and panel Luis.
The photo of the inspection panels is an old one of the Collings Foundation B-24J, when it was in bare metal (it's now painted in Olive Drab / Neutral Grey, as 'Witchcraft), and I'm fairly sure the red colour is a modern addition, probably for FAA regulations, or ease of identification by ground personnel.
They's most likely be the same color as the rest of the underside in WW2.

Thanks Terry, I think the panel will paint it in bare metal.
It is probable that then those small rectangles of the wings paint them in some dark metallic color, in fact they are a series of metallic plates that form part of the "skin" of the wings. If anyone else has any ideas or recommendations ... :thumbup:

I think keep them in the same colour as the rest of the underside of the wing, but maybe outline each inspection hatch in pencil. If you have any spare stencil decals, maybe add a few to the panels. No one will be able to read them easily, so it doesn't really matter what words are printed !

Great work Luis! You'll be much further along when I return!

I hope to have practically finished it or in the last touches! :cheers:

Thank you very much John, take care and have a good trip.

buen viaje.jpg

:thumbup:

Last edited:
... continuing the painting process; ... in the first layer of the wings (in post # 271 and # 276 :rolleyes:), I also had that problem of pooling and running on the right wing (first photo), so with a fine sandpaper, it was solved and with sandpaper From 6000 to 12000 were ready for the next layers of paint ...

490.jpg
491.jpg

... and began another interesting process of masking for the separation of the two colors in the engines ...

493.jpg
494.jpg
495.jpg
496.jpg
497.jpg
498.jpg

... the top was like this ...

499.jpg
500.jpg

I tried to make the application with the airbrush a bit irregular, taking care of panel lines as much as possible, and that a variety of tones could be observed and did not look monochromatic. As in the wings I did not use other colors to modify the painting, just different strokes with the airbrush. At the moment with oils and / or pigments, I will work more on improving the appearance.

Soon I share more than I already have ...

Saludos y a seguir disfrutando el Domingo!! :thumbup:

... I do not think to invent "the black thread", ... surely someone already tried it before, but I hope it gives me the result that expected :shock:.
I have seen and practiced some of the many techniques for masking the windows of a cockpit and had never done it in its entirety; As I told you before, I preferred to make two layers of Micro Mask, mainly so that I can see more clearly that I am covering the whole of each window.

501.jpg

Apply the color of the interior of the cabin, in these two photos you can see the good work in the mold of Revell, which made it easier to make the masking to pure brush and good pulse! :profileleft:

502.jpg
503.jpg

... and the result after applying the outer color ...

504.jpg

(I will dry and cure the paint as much as possible before releasing each mask)

I can comment on the liquid masks I have. I only have Vallejo and Microscale Industries, Inc., and at least to cover all the windows in this case, the MM product of MI, Inc., is thicker and takes longer to dry, which made it easier for me to application :idea:.
I think the Humbrol has an intermediate consistency, I have been recommended as well. :thumbright:

... well, look like the wings, the fuselage above and below ...

505.jpg
506.jpg
507.jpg
508.jpg

... and thus the rear stabilizers and other small parts of the exterior ...

509.jpg
510.jpg

I will leave "everything painted" to rest some days while I can study and review some options to carry out the weathering that suits me better, ... maybe apply some decals if possible (and / or some that must go before or after the weathering and washes )
:computer: :idea1: :read2:

... as well as your suggestions and recommendations on all this. :lookslikerain:

Much of what I have done so far has been to replicate their advice, tips and suggestions.
We are several that we have taken until today, what is and what is becoming this great and beautiful doll !!

Saludos a todos y excelente semana!! :thumbup:

Looking good Luis :thumbright:

Although it's sometimes hard to tell because of the lighting in photos, my only comment is that the pre-shading on the fuselage in post #588 still looks too stark. If you look at the reference photo in your first post, any shading should be very subtle and probably best augmented by subtle mottling and streaking with lightened and darkened shades of the base coat.

Also, no need to wait for paint to fully cure before removing canopy masks if you are done painting. In fact, it can be counterproductive as the mask can lift adjacent paint if it is not separated properly.

Thanks for your comments colleagues and friends ... :razz:

I will pay attention Kirby to your recommendation and look after the overall look of the painting. With the liquid mask I do not think I have problem, it will only be a matter of paying close attention. I have wooden chopsticks with different ends that I use for this type of work.
Thanks friend. :thumbup:

Last edited:
... well, after giving a new sanding with 3600 to 12000, I left all the surface of wings and stabilizers ready to use with airbrush, some layers of Future to start with the decals.

But first I gave myself to the task of masking the front edges ... Actually Tamiya's white tape did a great job facilitating those areas of difficult access.

511.jpg
512.jpg

... so it was 80% progress ... I only miss the photo with the already covered cowlings of the left wing and cut a surplus of yellow paper that I blocked the front edge near the fuselage in the right wing ...

513.jpg

514.jpg

A marvelous white ribbon to work the vertical stabilizers !! ... =D>

515.jpg

516.jpg

... and with this photo I have everything ready to paint the edges.

517.jpg

I will use Semi Glos Black X-18 and a minimum proportion of Khaki XF-49 of Tamiya, so that it does not turn black to 100%

...until next time ...:thumbup:

Saludos
Luis Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back