Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's looking good Luis, and I agree with Andy and John.
I very rarely use acrylic paints, but with these, or enamels, thin the paint, and keep the airbrush moving. It's better to build-up the colour with a number of light passes, rather than try to cover in one go. If the finish is 'patchy', then another thin coat or two, applied after the first paint is fully dry, should do the trick.

I liked that trick of repainting if the finish is "patchy", good advice Terry, ... I only used acrylic paints with the airbrush, it makes my use easier and I still do not get the idea to try it with enamels (... never say never !!) :thumbright:

Looking good Luis.

I echo the comments of others re. painting. Thin your paints and build up the colour using multiple light passes for a good finish. This method has the added advantage of allowing you more control over fading and diffusion effects especially if you are using pre-shading.

Also, don't spray from too far away from the model, which can be a temptation particularly when you are doing broad coverage basecoats. The paint can begin to dry before it hits the model which results in a grainy finish.

Thanks Kirby for your words and recommendations, ... I started with the blue paint and the enthusiasm was combined with some fear of making some mistake (and laziness and / or wasted time in replacing it) ... :confused4:
I already have the first photos and at the end of the sequence ... yes, I had a "small" error despite all its recommendations :dontknow: ... now I upload them.

:thumbup:

This was how my tower of drying rooms looked.-

Ground Floor: fuselage
First floor: wings
Second floor: small accessories and rear stabilizer.
Third floor: Heliport :propellerhead:

471.jpg

Acceptable result in the fuselage ...

472.jpg

473.jpg

474.jpg

All the pieces of the next photo were fine, except the central rail, which will need another pass, after correcting a small accumulation of paint on one side.

475.jpg
476.jpg

As I was about to finish the second wing (the right wing), I surely won the excitement, and I made the mistake of pool and run ...
(As you well said John)
... so I did not follow, until I corrected those two small mistakes ...

477.jpg
478.jpg

... but that will be until tomorrow that the paint is perfectly dry and can also retouch those pieces that require it.

I am all eyes to your comments :smoker:

Saludos :thumbup:

I think you're doing fine there Luis! A good trick to deal with those "mistakes", in particular pooling and running, is to keep a Qtip moistened (not wet) with thinners handy so you can quickly remove the paint before it dries. You can then usually come back over the area later in the session with no ill effects.

It's looking good there Luis.
Another way of removing, or even smoothing-out runs, or pools, is to wick it away with a paint brush, using the tip of the brush, as soon as it is noticed. If using acrylics, the brush can be dampened with water.
Once the run is smoothed out, it can be 'blown over' with paint from the airbrush.

Make sure it does not happen to me again, you waste time waiting for it to dry and then sanding and painting again. Wow so simple things !, thanks Kirby and Terry, these are tips that contribute to improve performance ... !! :thumbright::thumbleft:

Excelente día para todos :thumbup:

... thanks guys!

I did the correction with those spills of paint and after that I painted again; I did some touch-ups and it was all for the color blue (I think so)

479.jpg

I started the masking of the fuselage (already has two nights of having painted), so I helped myself with a tape of Post-it, blue tape of Truper (of low adhesion) and Tak. The union of the two tones is slightly blurred, so it will be enough with that Tak earthworm ...

480.jpg
481.jpg
482.jpg
483.jpg

... and to paint !! \\:D/

484.jpg
485.jpg
486.jpg

Thus the gates of the bomb bay were...

487.jpg

This was the first stage in the process with US Desert Sand color. (71,140 from Model Air).

... :sleepy3:
488.jpg

The wings and pieces retouched, wait for action, while it dries and cures the painting better.

Tomorrow some touches to the fuselage, the top, the other pieces and a touch up to the wings and stabilizers of tail.
It seems like I'm doing good until now ... :!: :-s :!:

Saludos :thumbup:

Moving along now Luis. I like the Desert Sand color. Older Vallejo colors were hit and miss. My RAF Dark Earth is not even close

Thank you my friend, it has been easy to use, learning with acrylics, and I really do not have a complaint about Vallejo (I only have to use the current generation), the practicality of its presentation And the variety of tones I've bought.
(it's a law in life: "renew or die")
Un abrazo Geo

:thumbup:

Hello, good night from here.

Today I have not dedicated to continue with the painting (besides not having as much time for it, better that the painting continues maturing.) :laughing4:

I have decided to mask the cockpit windowpane, but this time I will try totally with brush and Micro Mask.
I have given a first coat, and I want to make a second one so that the liquid mask has a thicker thickness and makes it easier for me to remove it.
But ... when I went to review reference pictures, I had already seen this overhead panel, ... and this is the best photo I got ...

003.jpg

And this one in my tiny version! ...

489.jpg

It is not yet glued to the ceiling and I plan to do it with Micro Kristal Klear at the ends of the panel, to allow them to coincide with the window frames. I did not find an exterior photograph to see what the panel looks like, so I do not know what the back of the panel looks like from outside, but I will also paint it in matte yellow (Humbrol 24) for that contrast. (Will draw attention :Fade-color)

Another detail I am attending is regarding the side windows of the cockpit. The kit brings them very coarse and also with a bubble window...

004.jpg

(I've seen in several B-24), but my particular version does not carry them. ... and here is the evidence !!

002.jpg
002.2.jpg
002.1.jpg

... I intend to make the windows open on both sides (like that of the blue circle), and they will be two pieces of acetate, one superimposed on the other and as it will be thinner, the appearance will be more real. (I already have it in mind!) :multi:

On the other hand I want to ask this question:

The bottom of both wings has several small rectangles that have to be warnings and / or maintenance points or gates (you are the ones who know what they are), ...

001.jpg

but the question is ... what color are they or them? (Excuse my grammar). The kit brings them very coarse, ...are they so flashy in red? ...In that time of war and in those B-24 with "blue belly", in which color would they go?

Thanks in advance for your opinions ... :thumbup:

Hasta la vista baby...:robot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back