Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The curiosity of checking how The Squaw looks on his tires, showed me another new surprise ... :!: :shock:

733.jpg
734.jpg

In post # 318 (page 16) I placed a counterweight with pieces of lead, believing that it would be sufficient (in fact the instructions do not mention anywhere that you have to put a counterweight to prevent it from falling towards the tail part) ... :scratch:
I do not have a small weighing machine to calculate how much weight it requires me to add.

These are the two small containers where I keep pieces of lead and sheets of lead (dental radiographs), ... I calculate that they should weigh about 50 - 70grs. I removed some sheets and pieces to give an approximate counterweight.

735.jpg

I feel that it is a lot of weight that it lacks, and I do not think I have enough space to introduce it, so through the gap that the front landing gear allows, I will try to introduce what I can.

I am sure that the weight that I can add to the front can not be enough; so thanks to the images of retracting tail bumper or skid provided by Wojtek, I will try to make that extension to the floor that will give a level support to the plane. Trying to make it carry the least possible weight. :confused5:

736.jpg

I have calculated the size that should have that extension and will be 1.4 cms.

737.jpg
738.jpg

I already have something in mind to do it and it will definitely be of metal to give the adequate strength and resistance.

Well, to entertain now in this solution to the "new setback in turn" :brushteeth:

The fight continues ... Hasta pronto amigos :thumbup:

Looking great. But sorry to hear about the lack of the ballast. IMHO making and attaching of the tail kickstand helps with the model balance. It's a good idea.

Looking great. But sorry to hear about the lack of the ballast. IMHO making and attaching of the tail kickstand helps with the model balance. It's a good idea.

Many older model instructions don't address the counterweight issue so not surprised. The use of the bumper is a good idea.

I will, ... I appreciate your comments. :thumbright::thumbleft:

But that will be tomorrow with fresh ideas; for now Magy and I went out to the theater and had dinner with friends.

We keep in touch friends. :thumbup:

It's an option I've already seen in some models, Thanks Roberto for the interest; as you say, is such a big model that there would be that risk of breaking the landing gear.
It has been very interesting and fun to put the pieces and sheets of lead, .. even so it will be necessary to make the back support, because it continues to fall backwards. Then share the photos.

Greetings. :thumbup:

Always you may take into consideration an attempt to put some of the lead load at these marked areas. Iif these areas are accessed just like the arrows suggest of course. I would say it would be better if the ballast was of a ball in shape. The glue should be the PVA one. For putting these balls there you can use a pair of tweezers with endings of the shape seen below. This should help with operating. Each of the lead globules should be covered with the PVA adhesive before putting. Personally I would start with the area just behind the nose wheel and move the ballast as close as it is possible to the wheel bulkhead. Contrary to the front area where the lead load should be moved as forward as possible. A couple of the lead balls at these areas should help.

lead weight.jpg

tweezer.jpg

Last edited:
I have similar tweezers and I helped with others to be able to handle the sheets and pieces of lead well.
I'm on my smartphone away from home, but soon I upload the photos as I did.
I used a lot of the spaces that you suggest my friend W. Also started rebuilding the tail kickstand, I had to detach the piece carefully to be able to work more comfortable and better serve the details.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.

See you soon and have all of you a good start to the week. :thumbup:

It's time to catch up with the photos...

As I told you, I used lead foils and rectangular pieces of lead from those used to balance the wheels of cars.

739.jpg
740.jpg

Using the same image by Wojtek, I show you the spaces I took to put the weights.

745.jpg

I could not occupy the space behind the landing gear because the partition wall to the bombs bay no longer allows it. :whiteblindfold:

Some photos of how the work ended.

741.jpg
742.jpg
743.jpg
744.jpg

They were fixed in place with a few drops of cyanoacrylate. Even so it lacked a little weight, because it is still leaning back. :mylipsaresealed:

You can see that I already removed the masking of the front bubble, I still have to do some touch-ups and remove slight excess paint. :magnifyglass:

For now I continue working on the tail kickstand, when I finish the piece I share the photos.

Es todo por ahora, saludos :thumbup:

:thumbright:

I could not occupy the space behind the landing gear because the partition wall to the bombs bay no longer allows it.

Of course there is a way for putting the lead ballast there but it would require drilling a hole behind the wheel bay. Therefore I would suggest the lead weight as a ball or small pieces because it can be put through a round hole. What is more the ballast of the ball shape can be suffused with a PVA glue and put into the fuelage area. Keeping the model nose down it can roll down itself to the wheel semi-bulkhead. Of course it would be needed to close the opening and make the fuselage clean there with sanding and painting. Therefore the idea should be considered carefully before drilling the aperture.

ballast1.jpg

Very interesting fixes to correct the nose-heavy problem. I hope that you find an acceptable solution. Based on the landing gear location, you can also add some weight to the engine cowlings, if those are accessible.

:thumbright:
Of course there is a way for putting the lead ballast there but it would require drilling a hole behind the wheel bay. Therefore I would suggest the lead weight as a ball or small pieces because it can be put through a round hole. What is more the ballast of the ball shape can be suffused with a PVA glue and put into the fuelage area. Keeping the model nose down it can roll down itself to the wheel semi-bulkhead. Of course it would be needed to close the opening and make the fuselage clean there with sanding and painting. Therefore the idea should be considered carefully before drilling the aperture.

Very interesting fixes to correct the nose-heavy problem. I hope that you find an acceptable solution. Based on the landing gear location, you can also add some weight to the engine cowlings, if those are accessible.

I appreciate your comments and both are very valid options (Wojtek and John); really the weight that I lacked to level the plane is little, so I decided to verify that the new piece fulfilled the mission.
And I think that was it, in a moment I share the photos and hope you like.

Saludos :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back