Coronavirus Thread (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has its role but in open spaces this is likely minimal.

In open spaces I don't see the point either. Just keep your distance from others. In enclosed spaces with little chance to keep distance from people then I think it will reduce the risk.

I had to go into work for a meeting today that could not be performed virtually for instance, and everyone in the briefing room wore a mask. Despite company policy, it just makes sense.

Afterwards I had a physical therapy appointment. Both my therapist and myself wore a mask. Clinic policy, and it makes sense.

Same with grocery stores...

Minnesota report, June 9
cases 28,523, recovered 24,221, hospitalized 3,441, deaths 1,217, tested 360,991
fatality rate 4.3%
mortality rate 213.5 per million
test rate 63.3 per thousand

In open spaces I don't see the point either. Just keep your distance from others. In enclosed spaces with little chance to keep distance from people then I think it will reduce the risk.

I had to go into work for a meeting today that could not be performed virtually for instance, and everyone in the briefing room wore a mask. Despite company policy, it just makes sense.

Afterwards I had a physical therapy appointment. Both my therapist and myself wore a mask. Clinic policy, and it makes sense.

Same with grocery stores...
It does when you are wearing an N95 mask I guess or never touch your mask and discard it regularly (say every 30 minutes).

Any mask will reduce the amount of particles being spread in the air. If that were not the case, then surgeons would wear N95 masks instead of surgical masks.
Yes and a fork can hold a little water, but you won't use it to eat your soup.

i don't know where to start to explain this. A surgeon won't have corona in the first place, neither will his assistants when they are operating. A surgeon will be very conscious about hygiene, washing hands at every opportunity. He'll also be in a sterile environment which is very precisely cleaned as will his assistants be. Shall I go on? There is a night and day difference between a hospital and the outside road. Non N95 masks only have woven cloth, they will let micro aerosols through. The mask will hold bacteria from getting through, but bacteria are way bigger than a virus. And that's still the next best thing, being a surgeal mask, I've not even started on the masks, or, god forbid, socks, scarves and handkerchieves that we have to wear, not being surgeons.

But something else. Will you cough or sneeze in your elbow while wearing a mask? Remember you're not supposed to touch the mask, so no, you won't or you're doing it wrong. But your elbow will prevent more viruses to spread than your non-N95 mask.

Last edited:
Yes and a fork can hold a little water, but you won't use it to eat your soup.

i don't know where to start to explain this.A surgeon won't have corona in the first place, neither will his assistants when they are operating. A surgeon will be very conscious about hygiene, washing hands at every opportunity. He'll also be in a sterile environment which is very precisely cleaned as will his assistants be. Shall I go on? There is a night and day difference between a hospital and the outside road. Non N95 masks only have woven cloth, they will let micro aerosols through. The mask will hold bacteria from getting through, but bacteria are way bigger than a virus. And that's still the next best thing, being a surgeal mask, I've not even started on the masks, or, god forbid, socks, scarves and handkerchieves that we have to wear, not being surgeons.

But something else. Will you cough or sneeze in your elbow while wearing a mask? Remember you're not supposed to touch the mask, so no, you won't or you're doing it wrong. But your elbow will prevent more viruses to spread than your non-N95 mask.

You can explain your point just fine. I'm not an idiot, and will understand what you are saying just fine.

Everything you said, I already am aware of anyhow. I still disagree with your stance. Walk down any given street, and how many people do you think will actually cover their mouths when the cough? I bet more than none will simply blast their germs into the air, and in that case a mask will help.

in fact I was at my office today for a bit. Saw two people at the coffee bar cough into thin air while looking at their phones.

I know you're not an idiot Chris, don't worry. And although this was an answer to your l I actually meant it more in general.

okay, we disagree. I still think we should focus on what really matters instead of running after something which is not half as agencies as most people seem to think.

so;
1. stay home if you can
2. Stay away from crowds
3. Keep a 1.5 to 2 meter distance
4. Wash your hands well with soap as much as possible
15. Wear a mask outside and make sure it'sa good one, not a sock or some other crazy cloth.

masks are not the wonder protection everybody seems to think.

I know you're not an idiot Chris, don't worry. And although this was an answer to your l I actually meant it more in general.

okay, we disagree. I still think we should focus on what really matters instead of running after something which is not half as agencies as most people seem to think.

so;
1. stay home if you can
2. Stay away from crowds
3. Keep a 1.5 to 2 meter distance
4. Wash your hands well with soap as much as possible
15. Wear a mask outside and make sure it'sa good one, not a sock or some other crazy cloth.

masks are not the wonder protection everybody seems to think.

No one said masks are the wonder protection. In fact I don't think anyone us saying that at all.

What is said is that the mask is one barrier, and when used in conjunction with other barriers can reduce the risk.

No one said masks are the wonder protection. In fact I don't think anyone us saying that at all.

What is said is that the mask is one barrier, and when used in conjunction with other barriers can reduce the risk.
As I said I highly doubt wearing masks will have any significant positive effect reducing the risks. But we disagree and let's leave it at that.

I wear a mask indoors because other people just cannot be trusted. Forum members excluded...of course. :)

And I would agree with your thoughts here. I too don't wear one outdoors. I just keep my distance, don't touch my face, and wash my hands. But when I am indoors in a high density area where that is not possible, I wear a mask. It makes sense.

When I'm in the yard, I don't wear one as there's a lot of spacing available between my neighbors. I don't have a huge property, but enough for social distancing.

Now, if I went outside, I'd have a mask on and maintain 6-9 feet of spacing.

As I said I highly doubt wearing masks will have any significant positive effect reducing the risks. But we disagree and let's leave it at that.
For real-world efficacy, have a look at Japan, where mask wearing is routine if you're sick.
Alternatively, New Zealand didn't go through widespread mask-wearing, but had a strict lockdown.

Similar results, two totally different methods.

Best not to celebrate too early...

New Zealand drops Covid-19 restrictions after nation declared 'virus-free'

Now comes the rebuild. The airline is financially stuffed and the CEO warns of more job losses. Most of us are wondering how that can happen as staff numbers have been slashed pretty savagely. No more scenes like this, though, almost all our aircraft are back up and working. Then there is the little matter of unfair practices in letting staff go - the airline is being taken to court by the unions for unfair practices in at least one instance of staff shedding. It sometimes sucks working for an airline.

49954780982_783cc93e0e_b.jpg
DSC_2488

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back