Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Observation of People Concerning the Wearing of Masks.

Over the last week I have traveled outside the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area several times. Because most of my packages are in the medical category (ie involving hospitals, clinics, and individuals with medical conditions that require specialized medicines) I always wear my surgical quality mask when picking up and delivering said packages. I drove a total of just over 1000 miles during the last week, and (beyond the 2nd tier suburbs) the only places I saw people wearing a mask was at the hospitals and clinics, plus about 5 employees in Holiday gas stations.

The above in and of itself is kind of telling, but wait - there's more!

Not only was there a disregard of the value of wearing masks, I actually observed anti-mask/anti-mask wearer attitudes. I encountered bewilderment, resentment, contempt, and anger - directed at myself, because I was wearing a mask. I expected the disregard for mask wearing, and most people behaved the same as usual. But there were maybe 20-25 people in the general public that presented an attitude.

If I had an IQ less than a cucumber I might have had my feelings hurt, or been intimidated?:rolleyes:

At the mine, if we don't wear our masks in designated areas and on the buses and other transport vehicles its an automatic 7 day unpaid vacation and the way they've been firing people lately, it could be a lot longer

Within the metro area, a few cities require the wearing of a mask anytime the individual cannot social distance. In addition, many businesses enforce the wearing of masks (the new state guidelines require it). Outside the metro area, I know some businesses require the wearing of masks (eg meat packing/processing facilities) but there was no sign of masks in any of the 8 out-state non-medical businesses I visited.

I've managed to stay inside ordering in for... I guess late March? Other than walking around the garden -- which isn't huge, but there's more than 6 feet on all sides from any other house. Needless to say, I have masks and would wear them outside.

I'm just worried about the suicide epidemic that's going to follow with all of the job losses and company failures. We're a country of small businesses, and losing a business is like losing a family.
We don't seem to have a plan to deal with that.

Is there evidence this is guaranteed to happen?

Meanwhile the number of active cases in Australia has dropped below 450. But we are starting to open up for activity, some states more than others.

South Australia and the Northern Territory have 0 active cases, Tasmania has 2 active cases.

Queensland has kept the land borders closed but allows airlines in and on day two in came a person from Victoria who is infected. He spent a day spreading it in Brisbane then went to work in Bundaberg requiring 250 people to be tested. Bundy is less than two hours away from me and a tourist town. We are just off the highway north that the tourists take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back