Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much of the problem with our population not having the discipline to wear a mask comes from the lack of discipline among the younger generations. The spoiled "I want it now and I'm entitled" groups. I was brought up with a strict code of behavior that is so sadly lacking today which contributes to the spread of the virus. Admittedly, a mask is uncomfortable but the alternative is worse.

D.C. is not the center of the problem, it is where the attention is focused; the real responsibility for how Ca, NY, and Tx deal with the Chinese Corona Virus rests primarily with the governors of the states, the administrators of the Counties, and the Mayors of the cities. Not only are they unable to do so (like how many of us have managed a population of 5000+ through a plague?) they are both hobbled by, and hobbling others, under the influence of Partisanship (not politics).

On top of this there is the anarchist insurrection calling itself BLM/Antifa/etc who are acting to tear down what is America and plant their flag on the top of the smoldering rubble more than to address and redress any particular problems.

To whatever extent this post seems Political to anybody, please don't. It's me looking at why this Wuhan Kung Flu might just throat-punch us.

I suppose thesee ongoings make us look bad to foreigners, to me it makes us look like a million junkies fighting tooth and nail over access to our favorite drug.

Much of the problem with our population not having the discipline to wear a mask comes from the lack of discipline among the younger generations. The spoiled "I want it now and I'm entitled" groups. I was brought up with a strict code of behavior that is so sadly lacking today which contributes to the spread of the virus. Admittedly, a mask is uncomfortable but the alternative is worse.
I think I am right is saying that Socrates in Ancient Greece said pretty much the same thing. Which is one of the reasons he concentrated on trying to develop the mind of the young. He died when the political leaders turned against him.
At the time Athens was in the midst of losing its important place in the world and tried to hang on to its glorious past whilst Socrates tried to get them to see the error of their ways. As he was seen as turning the youth against the 'official thinking' he was considered to be a traitor. This despite an excellent record not just as a philosopher but as a successful soldier in many campaigns unlike the politicians leading the country. He was charged with treason and corrupting the youth, being sentenced to death.

You can see certain patterns of these types of behaviour in British History, where we hang on to memories of old victory's and Empire. It could also be said that you are starting to see some of these in American behaviours where the leaders in some ways are trying to protect traditional approaches and not being flexible and recognising that times and situations change.

By beating another Superpower.
No by loaning them money. That stategy worked from start ww1 onwards through Marshall help to now. That is how France , Holland and the Uk etc. lost everything outside their borders. Uk was still on foodstamps while the Germans got on holiday and bought Audi's.
In the end it is not the boots on the ground that make a change, but dollars in the bank. Deprive the top of money and things will start happening.

I think it depends on where you live. Here in the midwest where I live it is the older 35 to 50 crowd refusing to distance themselves using the "You can't restrict my freedumz" excuse. If you go to the cities or places with beaches for instance, it is the younger crowd.

Last edited:
Because there were rational leaders with common sense back then. Not the self serving pimple heads in DC today.

"Self-serving pimple heads" are hardly new in US politics. James Polk started a war with Mexico largely to expand slavery; Andrew Jackson started a tradition of the US abrogating treaties to serve domestic politics (and threw in a bit of ethnic cleansing), Thomas Jefferson's anti-trade policies decimated the economies of large swathes of the US, Rutherford Hayes' term saw the premature end of Reconstruction and acceptance of the results of racist terrorism (the KKK and similar organizations) and encouraged and even enforced massive violations of civil rights in the South, Woodrow Wilson, through both arrogance and racism dumped his "self-determination" rhetoric when it applied to the Middle East (leaving imperialistic French and British policies in place that were largely responsible for setting the stage for everlasting conflict there) and other imperial possessions.

They're not new. We just don't pay attention to how bad many of the US politicians were in the past. Check out, for example, the corruption during Warren Harding's administration, Jefferson's "affair" with Sally Hemings*, starting when she was 14, John Adams and his ill-thought out sedition laws, a pro-slavery congressman beating abolitionist Charles Sumner nearly to death, ...

---

* The only slaves Jefferson every freed were Sally Hemings' children, so it's highly likely (and strongly supported by DNA evidence) that her children were Jefferson's. The exact time sex between the two started is not known -- Jefferson didn't write about it and Hemings couldn't -- but she was born in 1773 and most historians place the start of their "affair" while Jefferson was in France.

** Sumner had many more accomplishments than being beaten by some racist hothead; among others, he fought for the desegregation of schools in Boston. He failed in the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, but the legislature desegregated them in 1855. This probably didn't end the segregation, which was continued because of extra-legal methods, like deed covenants, redlining, real estate agencies and local ordinances.

Last edited:
D.C. is not the center of the problem, it is where the attention is focused;

I disagree. In DC is the leader of our country spreading false information about the virus, and doing his best to not unify the people, as well as not displaying an ounce of competency. In DC you also have the Senate and House (Both Dems and Reps) refusing to work together. No, the problem starts at the top in DC. That is were leaders set the tone for everyone.

We have a "boss" in DC, not a leader. A leader leads from the front by example. With decency, compitence, respect, and as a role model. That is not occurring. Not admitting this is ignoring the truth, probably occurs along party lines.

The problem does not stop there. It goes all the way to the state and local level.

Last edited:
No by loaning them money. That stategy worked from start ww1 onwards through Marshall help to now. That is how France , Holland and the Uk etc. lost everything outside their borders. Uk was still on foodstamps while the Germans got on holiday and bought Audi's.
In the end it is not the boots on the ground that make a change, but dollars in the bank. Deprive the top of money and things will start happening.
I was thinking of the War of Independence. There is a train of thought that this was the first time the British Empire had suffered a significant loss, plus of course the USA became fully independent.

By beating another Superpower.

No, by having both a liberal economy and vast internal resources. By WW1, the US had more economic output than France and Germany combined. Russia, which could have had that sort of success decided that maintaining autocracy and keeping those new-fangled ideas of the Enlightenment at bay were more important than economic progress.

Yes. And the refusal to socially distance and refusal to cooperate with anyone.

I too was raised in the time when rights were only obtained by accepting responsibilities and accepting that others had the same rights that you do. Until this returns I doubt that things will change for the better.

There've been a few honest gentlemen/women on both sides of the aisle over the years, but not enough to stitch together the diverging narratives of history, social values, and world view, so that now we live in alternate realities that are mutually incomprehensible. Each believes the other to be fabricated out of whole cloth and based on warped social values and deliberately distorted truths for nefarious purposes.

John McCain tried to stitch the country together after he lost the race to Barack Obama and for that he was almost lynched by his own people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back