Coronavirus Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before it was contained, 8,000 people had contracted SARS; more than 700 people died. All told, SARS is estimated to have cost between $30 and $50 billion to the global economy from 2002 to 2003.
That's a way higher mortality rate than we've seen in Italy. There's been some suspicion that genetic differences play a role in mortality rate.
Examination of the COVID-19 fatalities show that many had preexisting conditions, including hypertension, diabetes, or cardiovascular disease.
Hey, I don't have any of those! Seriously speaking, cardiovascular disease seemed to increase the chance of death to the greatest extent.
Age also is a factor. In those under the age of 50 the risk of death is less than 0.5% while in those over the age of 70 it is more than 8%. No deaths have occurred under the age of ten so far.
At least this isn't like the 1918 flu where the most common deaths occurred between 22 and 40 (an age range I'm within), not that I'm happy anybody's dying from this.

1C2A3CA3-F285-47E1-9ECD-77C70EBD7F60.jpeg

That's a way higher mortality rate than we've seen in Italy. There's been some suspicion that genetic differences play a role in mortality rate.
Hey, I don't have any of those! Seriously speaking, cardiovascular disease seemed to increase the chance of death to the greatest extent.
At least this isn't like the 1918 flu where the most common deaths occurred between 22 and 40 (an age range I'm within), not that I'm happy anybody's dying from this.
From what I've read smoking rates are responsible for what they at first thought might be differences in genetic susceptibility. I.e. 70% of adult males smoke in China.
This also accounts for gender susceptibility differences as only 20% of the women do.

From what I've read smoking rates are responsible for what they at first thought might be differences in genetic susceptibility. I.e. 70% of adult males smoke in China.
This also accounts for gender susceptibility differences as only 20% of the women do.
I just self declared as a Chinese woman, I am too smart for these virus critters, they wont catch me with a simple gender/age profile.

Some of the current numbers were posted earlier. I did some additional math;

46% of those diagnosed have recovered. 49% still have the virus and are being treated. 3.4% have died. Of those who have died, most were older and were determined to be "high risk," already suffering with distressed immune systems or some kind of respiratory problem. I think right now this is no worse than any other flu outbreak seen over the past 30 or 40 years.

Numbers are very unreliable. Half of it come from China and Iran, both governments notorious for changing facts for their own purpose. Also the media is not known for accuracy in these matters. I saw in the media that people were advised to use a disinfectant gel. We're talking a virus here, so it won't help you one bit. We don't know how many people are really affected. I suspect there are many undetected infections, bringing the death rate way down. Considering everything, the main danger seems to be the mass hysteria that's building at the moment.

In the event that this turns into a Rapture type scenario and all order breaks down.

If we have to turn cannibal, would it be safe to eat someone who died of Corona virus?

Asking for a friend.

Further examination of the COVID-19 virus has shown evidence of snake DNA. The open air market in China where the virus originated also sold freshly butchered snakes as well as bats. Snakes do hunt bats so the link is a possible one.
Viruses require a LIVING host in order to be replicate (viruses cannot replicate themselves. They, viruses, are NOT alive) Thus viruses cannot "grow" in food.
As to eating an infected animal (human or otherwise) one would assume that cooking would be involved. Experience with the related SARS viruses shows that cooking for 30 minutes to 60C will inactivate the virus. So don't eat raw humans.
The virus is passed through direct contact with an infected persons body fluids, fomites from cough or sneeze, contaminated surfaces (the virus can remain active for a few hours on a surface). Bleach/chlorine-based disinfectants, either solvents, 75% ethanol, peracetic acid and chloroform will inactivate the virus on hard surfaces and to a degree on skin but as Marcel posted not completely.
Masks will not block the virus BUT the (P) class masks can filter the fomites from the air. The (N) class are not as effective especially if the fomite has any "oily" component. A P95 mask will filter 95% of the particulate matter from the air.

COVID-19 vs Flu
So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

Even so, the death rate for COVID-19 varied by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it's 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. Nobody 9 and under has died of this coronavirus to date.

I've recently returned from a brief trip to Sicily, a long way from the epicentre of the infections in northern Italy.

On arrival in Catania (on the 26th) I was greeted by a woman in mask, gown and gloves who took my temperature. I have no idea what would have happened had it not been normal.

Yesterday I flew back to the UK to be greeted by....errr….the rows of automatic passport scanners at Gatwick airport.

However, the Italians seem to have got their knickers in a bit of a twist. My flight was suspiciously light on passengers, it had seemed well booked when I selected my seat. I had a chat with the cabin crew chief and she told me there were ninety on board but that one hundred and eighty six had booked. My rudimentary arithmetic makes that ninety six no shows!

I know the Italians are terrible hypochondriacs, all my Italian friends and colleagues cheerfully admit so, but whether this self quarantining will eventually prove to be a clever prophylactic or just a silly panic is yet to be seen :)

Snake DNA:laughing3: You know Corona is an RNA virus, right?

about masks: it'll filter the air alright, but you usually get infected by touching a common object, say a door handle, and then scratch your nose for a bit or lips. Masks are only effective in a lab or surgery environment.

Why snakes probably aren't spreading the new China virus

""They have no evidence snakes can be infected by this new coronavirus and serve as a host for it," says Paulo Eduardo Brandão, a virologist at the University of São Paulo who is investigating whether coronaviruses can infect snakes at all. "There's no consistent evidence of coronaviruses in hosts other than mammals and Aves (birds)." "

Scientists Scrutinize New Coronavirus Genome for Answers

"On January 22, a team of China-based scientists published an article based on the virus' genome that suggested it's possible the coronavirus emerged from snakes. But, "the paper does not provide direct evidence that this virus was transmitted to humans from snakes and the indirect evidence is tenuous at best," says Mark Stenglein, a virologist at the University of Colorado, in an email to The Scientist. "Scientists should disseminate only well supported information, especially in the context of a possible public health emergency." My bold

However, the Italians seem to have got their knickers in a bit of a twist. My flight was suspiciously light on passengers, it had seemed well booked when I selected my seat. I had a chat with the cabin crew chief and she told me there were ninety on board but that one hundred and eighty six had booked. My rudimentary arithmetic makes that ninety six no shows!

I know the Italians are terrible hypochondriacs, all my Italian friends and colleagues cheerfully admit so, but whether this self quarantining will eventually prove to be a clever prophylactic or just a silly panic is yet to be seen :)
Obviously another 96 deaths covered up.:p There was at least one case reported in Sicily, I suppose when you have a system you apply it to every flight.

Why snakes probably aren't spreading the new China virus

""They have no evidence snakes can be infected by this new coronavirus and serve as a host for it," says Paulo Eduardo Brandão, a virologist at the University of São Paulo who is investigating whether coronaviruses can infect snakes at all. "There's no consistent evidence of coronaviruses in hosts other than mammals and Aves (birds)." "

Scientists Scrutinize New Coronavirus Genome for Answers

"On January 22, a team of China-based scientists published an article based on the virus' genome that suggested it's possible the coronavirus emerged from snakes. But, "the paper does not provide direct evidence that this virus was transmitted to humans from snakes and the indirect evidence is tenuous at best," says Mark Stenglein, a virologist at the University of Colorado, in an email to The Scientist. "Scientists should disseminate only well supported information, especially in the context of a possible public health emergency." My bold
Frequently when people pay for research it says what the client pays for. "Possible" can also mean "not impossible" like throwing a 6 on a dice 20 times in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back