Coronavirus Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Uncle was married to a Chinese national nd when he passed a couple years ago, she cleaned out his estate and high-tailed it back to China, leaving me and my sister with very little - meaning literally no physical items (she sold his vehicles before probate and had an auction company come in and haul EVERYTHING off at the same time) and weaseled the financial part with the help of a Chinese-American lawyer.

So if ANYONE deserves a six-pack of Corona virus, that greedy hoe is is at the top of my list...

1583166031000.png

Anheuser Busch was started by a German brewer too, and look how they screwed up his beer. Bud and Bud Lite should not even be classified as a beer. He is rolling over in his grave.
My mom worked for Philips, and when people came over from Holland, they would howl at how the Heineken we have here is totally different from theirs (and in a bad way).

Snake DNA:laughing3: You know Corona is an RNA virus, right?

A newly published article in the Journal of Medical Virology is reporting the first results of a genetic study into the DNA of the novel coronavirus currently spreading across the globe. The research suggests the new virus may have originated in snakes, which were known to be sold at the animal market in Wuhan where the outbreak began.
Further study of the particular protein codes favored by the virus suggests the most likely animals that harbored 2019-nCoV before it jumped to humans were snakes.
"Results derived from our evolutionary analysis suggest for the first time that snake is the most probable wildlife animal reservoir for the 2019-nCoV," the researchers conclude in the study. "New information obtained from our evolutionary analysis is highly significant for effective control of the outbreak caused by the 2019-nCoV-induced pneumonia."

"Snakes often hunt for bats in wild," the scientists write in The Conversation. "Reports indicate that snakes were sold in the local seafood market in Wuhan, raising the possibility that the 2019-nCoV might have jumped from the host species – bats – to snakes and then to humans at the beginning of this coronavirus outbreak. However, how the virus could adapt to both the cold-blooded and warm-blooded hosts remains a mystery."

Wei Ji, a microbiologist at Peking University Health Science Center School of Basic Medical Sciences in Beijing, and his colleagues analyzed codons used by 2019-nCoV. Codons, which are trios of DNA or RNA that dictate amino acids in a protein, tend to be similar between a virus and the animal it infects. The team compared 2019-nCoV's codons with those in potential animal reservoirs, including humans, chickens, bats, hedgehogs, pangolins and two snake species.
Based on similarities between the virus's codons and those of its potential animal hosts, "snake is the most probable wildlife animal reservoir for the 2019-nCoV," the researchers write. Wei and his team suggest a virus from the many-banded krait (Bungarus multicinctus) or Chinese cobra (Naja atra) may have combined with a bat virus and sparked the new outbreak.

and then scratch your nose for a bit or lips. Masks are only effective in a lab or surgery environment.
Some studies indicate that humans touch their face about 23 times per hour and if those touches include the lips, mouth, nose, or eyes pathogens can enter. A mask of any type will remove touches to the lips, mouth, and nose unless the mask is removed or pushed aside so left alone the mask is reducing the number of entry points. In groups of people the most likely entry is via fomites from an infected carrier coughing, sneezing, clearing throat, etc. Fomites are much larger than the virus itself and thus a P95 or N95 or better mask is effective in stopping 95% or more of these particles from entering the lungs. The P variety is effective against oily particles and as such affords even more protection.
Susceptible individuals are foolish not to take any and all steps to limit exposure to the virus if and when it becomes endemic in your area

Mike, the Corona virus has RNA, not DNA.

for the rest, the findings of the Chinese researchers back in January about the virus coming from a snake has been highly disputed by scientists globally. They just don't have any convincing proof.

And take it from me, the face masks won't help if you don't change them regularly in a sterile environment. You will get the virus everywhere else and at one point you will touch your face unprotected You should also wear gloves and a special suit that you also change regularly. Then it might help.
They do help however when you are infected yourself to prevent others to be infected by you.
as for your last remark. There already is a shortage of these masks due to the high demand. Doctors and nurses will not get the protection they need while people use them ineffectively on the street. Think about that when buying the masks.

No debate whatsoever however associated with the RNA strand:
Structure
Spherical or pleomorphic enveloped particles containing single-stranded (positive-sense) RNA associated with a nucleoprotein within a capsid comprised of matrix protein. The envelope bears club-shaped glycoprotein projections

and the codon protein codes appear, prima facie, to resemble those found in snakes. I quoted the article. My sense of it was that some DNA/RNA Protein Codes from snakes had migrated into the viral RNA strand of the COVID-19 viral particle.

Coronavirus-structure1-1-21-20.png

As to masks, again I agree with you in principle however, while they are not an impregnable barrier they do offer a valuable service in, as I posted, #1 limiting touching lips, mouth, and nose; and #2 significantly limiting inhalation of foreign fomites present in any crowd of other humans who don't believe in covering their mouths when they cough/sneeze/etc. Not to mention those "Highly dedicated" individuals who drag their infected bodies to work/stores/church/school/etc shedding billions of virus particles into the air for all to enjoy.
In fact the masks would be more effective IF the individuals DOING the cough/sneeze would wear one.
Individual P95 and N95 masks are selling for $20 - $30 USD and more here in the states IF you can find them. Personally I already have several as I use the P95 type when airbrushing. Wish I had that 100 box I was going to get last year...

for the rest, the findings of the Chinese researchers back in January about the virus coming from a snake has been highly disputed by scientists globally. They just don't have any convincing proof.

And take it from me, the face masks won't help if you don't change them regularly in a sterile environment. You will get the virus everywhere else and at one point you will touch your face unprotected You should also wear gloves and a special suit that you also change regularly. Then it might help.
They do help however when you are infected yourself to prevent others to be infected by you.
as for your last remark. There already is a shortage of these masks due to the high demand. Doctors and nurses will not get the protection they need while people use them ineffectively on the street. Think about that when buying the masks.
You have to copy/paste to get through to him Marcel

Data
You can download it yourself, you lazy buggers :p

Mike, Viruses don't take over DNA from their hosts. These viruses 'inject' RNA into cells which then is translated by the cells In order to replicate the virus. That's all a virus does. What the Chinese researchers claim is that the protein shell of the virus contains amino acids that 'fit' the snake's cells. This is a highly debatable claim as it also fits many mammals and corona viruses tend to thrive on mammals and not reptiles.

No debate whatsoever however associated with the RNA strand:
Structure
Spherical or pleomorphic enveloped particles containing single-stranded (positive-sense) RNA associated with a nucleoprotein within a capsid comprised of matrix protein. The envelope bears club-shaped glycoprotein projections

and the codon protein codes appear, prima facie, to resemble those found in snakes. I quoted the article. My sense of it was that some DNA/RNA Protein Codes from snakes had migrated into the viral RNA strand of the COVID-19 viral particle.

View attachment 572085

As to masks, again I agree with you in principle however, while they are not an impregnable barrier they do offer a valuable service in, as I posted, #1 limiting touching lips, mouth, and nose; and #2 significantly limiting inhalation of foreign fomites present in any crowd of other humans who don't believe in covering their mouths when they cough/sneeze/etc. Not to mention those "Highly dedicated" individuals who drag their infected bodies to work/stores/church/school/etc shedding billions of virus particles into the air for all to enjoy.
In fact the masks would be more effective IF the individuals DOING the cough/sneeze would wear one.
Individual P95 and N95 masks are selling for $20 - $30 USD and more here in the states IF you can find them. Personally I already have several as I use the P95 type when airbrushing. Wish I had that 100 box I was going to get last year...

You do you realize you are talking to a microbiologist right?

Data

Mike, Viruses don't take over DNA from their hosts. These viruses 'inject' RNA into cells which then is translated by the cells In order to replicate the virus. That's all a virus does. What the Chinese researchers claim is that the protein shell of the virus contains amino acids that 'fit' the snake's cells. This is a highly debatable claim as it also fits many mammals and corona viruses tend to thrive on mammals and not reptiles.

Bam!

That was not copy and pasted!

Data

Latest I heard was that the most likely vector is either bats or pangolins (or possibly both), and that the snake theory is pretty much debunked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back