Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Italy report, today 5 p.m.
deaths 1,809, sicks cumulative 24,747, recoveries 2,335, tests 124,899
lethality rate 7,31%

Went to a small town Walmart about 60 miles from home. The parking lot was almost full. Their shelves were about 40-45% bare though we were able to get several items that were not in either of our local Walmarts. I managed to grab a container of Lysol disinfectant wipes as well as an aerosol can of Lysol. I just barely got to the end of the aisle when a family of four came behind me and swept the shelves of all the Lysol wipes and spray...probably be on Ebay by tonight for $30 each! Walmart announced that they are now closing all stores at 11PM so that they can stock without people grabbing the boxes from the stockers trying to get the stuff on shelves.
Any type of hand sanitizer was the impossible dream though there is always Ebay for a measly $300 a bottle

We do have one citizen who is in the Philippines at the moment....plans are to shoot him when he steps off the plane
On UK TV (Sky) this afternoon there was some guy from Canada speaking for the whole of the situation in North America. Within two minutes they were discussing closing the border. WTF for? there are probably the same number of people with the virus on both sides. Why they discuss this crap is beyond me, it should be a science based decision for USA and Canada, but its great gossip for people who don't really know what to talk about.

On a positive note, women got to celebrate their day in Santiago de Chile with a 100.000+ march:

...I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with the recent uptick in cases, if you do, I am sorry to tell you that you are misogynist.

The risk is real if appropriate measures are not in place and the issue comes with healthcare resources. Yes most people have mild illnesses and that's the end of it but those that get sick and require intensive treatment at the rate of increase seen in some places there is no chance the systems can cope with it.

For instance there are only around 1 million intensive care bed in the US if we take based on Italy and China so far that around 10% of cases may need intensive care out that in perspective with regards to the possibilities. This does not account for the other conditions that may need the care but can't get it. Anaesthetists and Intensivists are very worried. It may get to the stage of mass casualty triage and medicine if need outstrips the availability of services. Follow the guidelines guys and stay safe.

Being on the frontline I'm wary of what may still be ahead of us.

Attachments

• Covid-19 Summary of Facts.pdf.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 57

thanks as a healthcare professional for your insight. I wish others would listen to others like you and Marcel.

To quote the American Society for Microbiology (EBD is ethanol-based disinfectants, AHR is Antiseptic Hand Rubbing using alcohol solutions, IAV is influenza A virus , and yes they are different viruses and the Covid-19 is more aggressive but the subject is the effectiveness of alcohol solutions for virus prevention)

IAV in mucus remained active despite 120 s of AHR; however, IAV in saline was completely inactivated within 30 s.
Due to the low rate of diffusion/convection because of the physical properties of mucus as a hydrogel, the time required for the ethanol concentration to reach an IAV inactivation level and thus for EBDs to completely inactivate IAV was approximately eight times longer in mucus than in saline.

The most important finding there is that you need 240 seconds of active hand rubbing in the alcohol solution to kill a virus and only 30 seconds in saline. NOBODY keeps their hands wet and rubbing for four whole minutes when using alcohol. Most barely use four seconds and then with only a minute volume of the alcohol solution.

That means you are FAR better off carrying a bottle of saline instead of an alcohol solution and dousing your hands in that.

I do not have a comparison of saline versus soap but soap also eliminates the problem far better than alcohol though the much larger volume of water used with soap would be a factor in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread