Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half a million for the Swine flu inside of a year and here in California, it's 75, 100, 105, 115, 210 or 300 deaths depending on the source.

There's even supposedly several cases in the county I live in, yet no one knows who these people are and we have a small population here, which I find interesting.

Just curious, but why wasn't there this level of concern with the Swine Flu, Bird Flu, West Nile, Zika or Ebola pandemics?
Well, ebola for one is not airborne. This means you can only get ebola by direct contact. It's not so easy to spread ebola around the world. I can't remember big outbrake of filoviruses outside of Africa, apart from the Marburg incident in Germany.
Swine-Flu was potentially as big here as Covid-19, but I if remember correctly, we had a vaccine. I remember clearly getting a vaccine for our youngest kid back then.

Canadians on ebay might be nuts but the Australians buying TP on ebay are as moronic as our government who still think groups of 100 are acceptable and who are spending less than 10% per capita of what the major countries and federations like UK, US and EU are. THe Aus dollar has just dropped below US60c which shows that the rest of the world recognize how stupid our government is.

Just curious, but why wasn't there this level of concern with the Swine Flu, Bird Flu, West Nile, Zika or Ebola pandemics?

Most of those did not hit home, some did, but most didn't. Ebola for instance was contained for the most part to the African continent. Unless it got out of Africa, nobody here was going to care as long as the prices on our goods remain cheap. Otherwise no one in the western world cares one bit what happens to Africa. Sad but a true fact. If it does not directly affect you, why bother? That is the thought process around the world. As for Zika, no one was concerned because as long as you were not pregnant or trying to there was really no risk involved. My wife and I were living in Louisiana during the Zika scare, and were trying to get pregnant with our second child. Louisiana was confirmed to have it, believe me, we were concerned. We also travelled to Europe during that time, an remember at every airport officials walking around taking everyones temperature.

Ah, I think I know where this is going...

I think its important to note there is a wide range of conflicting data were getting from seemingly reputable sources. I've seen fatality rates from .25 all the way up 7 or 8% estimated by what would seem to be reputable sources. That's a pretty big spread.
My point being there are a very wide range of potential outcomes and knowing the exact right course of action is difficult if not impossible. Under these circumstances for better or worse I think public officials can be expected to err on the side of caution. Whether they were right or wrong in doing so I guess well know soon enough.

Death count from the common flu is still exceeding this one. Hitting upon Dave's comment, if the infection rate and death rates are fairly equal to the common flu, then where was this panic in the past? South Korea stats are hard to argue with.

I did see a funny meme which I wished I had saved a copy of, It went something along:

"20 people die from Corona Virus and people panic, 300,000 die from obesity and Doritos comes out with a new flavor."

In regards to school meals, SC and NC have a contingency plan to deliver meals on the regular bus routes or can be picked up at the school itself. They have also setup wifi zones for kids without internet so they can do their school work online.

worldwide go over 8,000 deaths

It's just the beginning.
There will be millions worldwide.
That's not pessimistic doom and gloom. The UK currently estimates mortality due to the virus at 0.6% (which is on the low side, it may be closer to 1%) and is estimating more than 300,000 deaths over the next year and a bit. It sounds bad, but that is in a population of over 66 million.

A couple of my friends in Germany just tested positive. They were not even showing symptoms yet. Totally unaware. They were contacted by the health department because someone else who tested positive put them down as someone they had contact with. They were both told to self quarantine, and medical personal arrived at their house to perform the test. The test came back positive.

So much for the conspiracy that no one knows who these infected people are...

Unless [Ebola] got out of Africa, nobody here was going to care.
This is too cynical to let slide. I cared and care. The effect of my sorrow is zero. Reasons being I'm in USA, not Africa; I speak only English and Spanish while much of Ebola-smitten Africa does not; my resources are near zero; and I cannot hope to counter the effects of their cultural habit of hugging and kissing the bodies of the dead (thereby passing the infection).

Otherwise no one in the western world cares one bit what happens to Africa. Sad but a true fact.
Again, caring does not imply being able to do anything about it.

You were not alone in being concerned. Living in Pennsylvania raising 6 kids and dealing with a dying wife, my caring didn't have much effect. Saying I didn't care stings.

Please don't use such a broad, simplistic brush where greater accuracy doesn't require much.

I already have 2 in my environment, where my drummer has the bad one. He's very ill. My neighbour seems okay, doesn't feel too good, but it's also not so acute.

Italy report, 5 p.m. today

deaths 2,978, sicks cumulative 35,713, recoveries 4,025, tests 165,541
fatality rate 8,47%

Who knows what cultural practices we had in Europe before the black death which changed everything. It was a tradition in Yorkshire to kiss the dead, I did with my grandmother but that is after cause of death is established as not a communicable disease.

Sorry you feel that way, and yes it was a broad statement. The majority of the western world do not care about what is going on outside their world as long as they are not personally affected. That is a fact. It may be harsh, but it is a fact.

As long as our goods and products are kept at low prices, people in the west do not care. How many people do you think care that their Nikes are made by a kid in a sweatshop in China for instance? They don't because if the shoe was made in the US they would be paying double for the shoe. The same goes for places in Africa, Asia, South America. If the coronavirus had stayed in China, no one would care. And yes that is a broad stroke, obviously there are people that will care but cannot do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread