Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

My grandchildren in Seattle developed severe fever and were tested. One result was negative and the other neither positive or negative requiring a retest that was again neither positive or negative. Then ten days back my son in law, mid 30's, developed severe lethargy and a bad cough. He runs lots of half marathons etc so this is definitely not normal.

He immediately self isolated and contacted his medical centre who said he could not be tested because his temperature was normal. He has gone down hill badly since then. Friday he actually got a telephone consultation with his doctor and a few seconds into the consult he had one of his coughing fits. The doc said that was a classic Covid-19 cough and prescribed medication for the cough. He is now sleeping properly, coughing far less and no longer looking grey so we are now expecting him to recover.

Hope everything will turn out fine.

Yeah, whether he has the coronavirus or not, he seems very sick: I hope he pulls through

except that the hotel guests, if any, have to feed. If no guests then I totally agree with you.
agreed but why are they traveling when our government has asked people not to travel unless absolutely necessary.
and if people are travelling what about the risks to staff who serve them and the risk they pass it on to every one else in the hotel, we cannot work and separate effectively.

it just seems a bit strange to me but am glad i am still working and getting paid for now

hope he recovers quickly

As if the virus is not enough, Zagreb was hit by an earthquake, 5.5 strong. Seems like there are no casualties, though, the main damage was on buildings from 19th century and older, including the cathedral.

There are still scare stories being published.

I understand that it is important to make people understand how serious the situation is, and it is serious, but I really don't think the scare stories do anything to alleviate the panic that seems to be spreading around the world.

A lot of people have died in Italy, every loss is a tragedy for the family concerned, BUT, as of Friday. the age of Italians dying of COVID-19 was averaging out at 78.5.
Almost 99 percent of them were also suffering from at least one pre-existing condition or ailment, perhaps not surprising given their age.

Of the seven people that died in Wales overmight all were in the high-risk category, either over 70 or with underlying health conditions.

I don't want our elderly to die prematurely anymore than anyone else. I just wish that some of the reporting would keep some perspective.

And the latest data actually shows that 30-40% of all coronavirus intensive care cases involve people under 50 with no underlying health issues. At least in the US. Experts are starting to change their tune on the elderly bit.

The problem is not only the most serious number of the daily deaths (more than 500 in Lombardy alone yesterday; a number very seldom achieved even in the worst (by the population point of view of course, not that of 'Bomber Harris' bombing raids over Italian towns in WWII) but the huge number of patients that need a very serious and lengthy medical treatment in the hospital.
It is true that the vast majority of the deaths are of elderly people that had a heavy smoker story behind ( in Italy in the '50, '60s and '70 practicaly every male smoked not less than 20 cigarettes/day) but there are deads and very serious ilnesses even in young sportsmen.

My place of work in Italy was bombed by US forces on 6 July 1944, the company address is still "PIAZZA CADUTI 6 LUGLIO 1944", and they have a Choral concert to commemorate it every anniversary, 274 people lost their lives.

And the latest data actually shows that 30-40% of all coronavirus intensive care cases involve people under 50 with no underlying health issues. At least in the US. Experts are starting to change their tune on the elderly bit.

That is not the sort of numbers being measured in the UK. I saw a CDC report showing that in the US 20% of the hospitalised patients and 12% of the intensive care patients were between the ages of 20 and 44.

Yes, some young and healthy people do develop serious symptoms, but it is not as high as one in three. I can't find any data for young healthy people succumbing in the UK, because at the moment only overall figures are published on government websites. What is published related to age or fitness is consistent statements that those dying are in high risk groups, and these are individual statements from the Health Trusts concerned, not some central government authority. The seven Welsh deaths were in three different Trusts for example.

The data from Italy is correct and persuasive because it is being accurately and honestly collated from what is now, unfortunately, the largest source.

If it was before the meeting as the story you site suggests it would make sense that it would be to manufacture the vaccine that the US had already had in the works for some time. Not sure that would be all that great either but not nearly as bad as what the first sorry suggested. If the story is true. Lots of........um...." less than accurate" journalism these days, from both sides.
Vaccines are not normally great profit makers. In fact as of about 5 years ago I know there were zero companies in the US making vaccines comercialy due to there inability to make a profit due to liability issues unique to the US. That may have changed and there may be one or two now, don't know. Still plenty of research and development but actual manufacturing had to be done abroad due to the aforementioned legal liability landscape unique to the U.S..

A doctor here was explaining that the problem is interpretation of statistics. If you only look at deaths then it is affecting the old more. However there are also many in intensive care who are not old and don't die, these are the ones who therefore occupy a place in Intensive care the longest and play a huge part in swamping the medical service.

Thank God he is doing better. I keep seeing stories about doctors sending people home with serious symptoms, like they can't breathe, or refusing to see them in the first place. One man who vidio showed obviously needed some maner of supportive care due to his inability to catch his breath was sent home.....and died. This was by a Kieser doctor/ facility( which in my experience are usually pretty good but not this time apparently).

Additionally, as the infections increase, more health workers become infected. One London hospital has 3 doctors infected already, very quickly the pre pandemic facilities are just enough for the health service to treat itself when the infections rise. I think 10% of Italians receiving treatment at present are health workers or doctors.

Yeah, when did you read that report, because that is not case. The CDC is reporting that 38% of people needing hospitalization in the United States are under 55 years old.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...states-according-new-cdc-data/?outputType=amp

Absolutely.

Hense why all these stupid 20 year old college kids hanging around the beach saying "I'm young, if I get I get it" are dumb as shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread