Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a scary chart.

Take a look at the linked paper in my post on the previous page regarding "doubling rate".

And for those who think I'm scaremongering...I'm not. This is a serious situation and it requires people to be sensible and follow the bluddy advice they've been given: avoid social contact, wash hands frequently and report if symptoms develop. It's not hard, people. Do the basics, and this thing will pass more quickly and with less impact. Trying to struggle on and live a "normal" life will just prolong the pain for all of us.

Except the data is now saying otherwise. The US is reporting that 38% of intensive care patients are under 55. Marcel said the same about the Netherlands,

It's not "scaremongering", its not avoiding the facts.

Ding, ding, ding...

Tell him what he won Johnny!

Seems to me you are choosing the facts you like.

Please by all means if I've posted something inaccurate or have left out something feel free to tell me. I've learned far more in life being wrong on something than I have ever by being right.

-------------------------------

Following locations/states in the US have issued Stay at Home orders:

San Francisco Bay six county area
California
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Illinois
Indiana
New Jersey
New York
Kansas City
St. Louis
Nashville
Dallas County TX
Kentucky
Indiana
Ohio
Hawaii (starting 4pm today their time)
Louisiana
Delaware
Philadelphia

Well we have shut the hotel until 1 july !

all staff are on furlough, with government paying 80% of our salary.

things are about to get very tough for me but fortunately i will be better off than some.

Wait, you're a Brit, right? That 80% cut should mean you have more money in your pocket now that the pubs are closed!

Seriously, take care, and I'm glad to hear you didn't terminated. =D>

Well we have shut the hotel until 1 july !

all staff are on furlough, with government paying 80% of our salary.

things are about to get very tough for me but fortunately i will be better off than some.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck my friendZ

I am very fortunate that my employment is considered critical infrastructure by the Homeland Security, so my work will not go away.

I'm surprised Minnesota has not issued the order yet, but I'm afraid it's coming soon. Probably the best thing to do, but the thought is still deppressing. Governor just put himself under self-quarantine after coming in contact with someone with the virus.

Wait, you're a Brit, right? That 80% cut should mean you have more money in your pocket now that the pubs are closed!

Seriously, take care, and I'm glad to hear you didn't terminated. =D>
Thanks, but you got it the wrong way round
our government is paying me 80%of what i would of earned, still gonna be difficult but better than nothing and i'm very grateful for the financial help and having a job to go back to whenever that may be.

The number of confirmed cases of the new coronavirus in the U.S. was 41,511 as of Monday afternoon, according to Johns Hopkins putting the U.S. third in the world. At least 499 deaths have been blamed on the virus.

Worldwide, the total number of cases neared 367,000 with more than 16,100 deaths. China remains the highest number of cases with 81,454 and Italy Second with 59,138

At least 12 states have implemented "stay at home" or "shelter in place" orders or advisories. Monday morning, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker ordered non-essential businesses to close and asked the state Health Department to advise residents to stay at home beginning at noon Tuesday and lasting until April 7.

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer ordered residents of her state to a stay at home for at least the next three weeks. She also ordered all non-critical businesses to close.

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb issued a stay at home order that goes into effect just before midnight Tuesday and lasts until April 6.

Similar shelter-in-place or stay home orders were already in place for Louisiana, Ohio, Delaware, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey and New York, and many individual cities.

"This week, it's going to get bad," U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams said Monday morning on NBC's "Today" show, adding that Americans must stay home.

At least 1.5 billion people — a fifth of the world's population — have been asked or ordered to stay home to try to dampen the spread of the coronavirus, according to The Associated Press.

Gov. Ron DeSantis said he thinks targeting the Florida counties hit hardest by the coronavirus instead of imposting a statewide lockdown is the way to go for now. He said about a third of Florida's 67 counties have no confirmed cases and another third have few.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced in a news conference Monday that 20,875 people across the state have tested positive for coronavirus. At least 157 people have died, he said. The New York City region now accounts for about 5% of confirmed coronavirus cases globally, the New York Times reported. Ellis Island and Liberty Park were closed to visitors

Rep. Ben McAdams, a Utah Democrat and one of two members of the U.S. House of Representatives to test positive for COVID-19, said he has been hospitalized since Friday. He said he had been receiving oxygen for shortness of breath. The second Congressman to test positive, Republican Rep. Mario Díaz-Balart of Florida, said he has self-quarantined in his Washington home. Former presidential candidate and U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar said her husband, John Besser, has tested positive for coronavirus. In a post on Medium, the Democrat from Minnesota wrote that Besser checked into a Virginia hospital where he has pneumonia and is on oxygen. Klobuchar said she and her husband have not been in the same place in the past two weeks, and doctors told her she didn't need to take a test.

After crowds of people flocked to California beaches, hiking trails and parks over the weekend, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced on Twitter late Sunday that he was closing sports and recreation at all LA City Parks and shutting down parking at city beaches. Point Reyes National Seashore is now closed to visitors as is Yosemite National Park. He said people should stay home and save lives.

Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park and Oregon closed all of its state Parks today

On a positive note MIT scientists announced that the coming warm month may slow the transmission of the virus, Most transmissions occurred between 37.4F to 62.6F. Regions where average temps exceed 64.4F accounted for less than 6% of global cases. Arizona, Florida, and Texas have the slowest transmission rate in the U.S.

You must be looking at different data to the rest of us then. Forecast figures are, quite frankly horrifying.

This is a NOVEL virus, as in not seen in humans before, as in no-one has immunity to it. It travels easily, and is more lethal than seasonal flu.

Its also NOT about the fatality rate - no country's medical system can cope with the hospitalisation rate, so people will die needlessly of other accidents/illnesses that would have otherwise lived. These don't show up in your Covid fatality rates.

I certainly hope that in 18 months time, those ignorant ones amongst us ARE able to say "much ado about nothing" because then, the measures we're taking now will have worked.

Influenza not a common cold but the real thing is often the cause of death in the old and infirm because it brings on pneumonia. A young fit person doesn't normally die of influenza, they go home with some meds and feel bad for a week or two. CV19 may be equally survivable for a young fit person but they don't go home for a while they have to be kept alive by a ventilator. Survivability therefore depends on how many intensive care beds there are. In this there comes some counterintuitive stats. London has a higher number of cases, some people who can are leaving London to where they have holiday homes in rural areas, but these nice country areas have less than a quarter of Londons capacity to treat people and a tenth of the resources to get things done.

please provide sources (links) for your copy and pasting.

Inasmuch as sadistics statistics has never been my forte, I'd petition here for a chart showing 6 tracings:
Influenza infections
Influenza hospitalizations
Influenza deaths
CV infections
CV hospitalizations
CV deaths
for this year since "flu season" started.

At the same time, has anybody obtained confirming/negating information about China's "zero new cases" claims?

Sorry to hear that Karl, but good to know you'll get at least some help, and also be out of one 'risk zone'. Hope you've got plenty of paint and glue though .............. and of course, you can't go the pub anyway, as they've been shut since Friday night.

British Prime Minister is to address the nation at 20..30 hrs tonight - expecting some more stringent measures, and many non-essential stores have now closed, along with hotels, pubs, restaurants, cafes, clubs, gyms, etc etc., and all events cancelled.
This is now the worst "Disaster Movie " ever , and Bruce Willis ain't coming to the rescue - the sooner some selfish idiots realise that, the better !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread