Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit! Y'all are right. it is bad. I'm over it already and we haven't even begun the lockdown in New Zealand yet - tonight at midnight. I won't be able to see my daughter, who lives in another town an hour and a half away (Hi Aaron) or my girlfriend, who lives a five minute drive away, ffs! I feel like having a coughing fit...

Hey, just BAU for me, except that none of my customers are doing anything so no work for me... Time to do some business development I guess.
You missed the opportunity to quarantine with your GF. I've heard of quite a few people doing this, just so they're not holed up by themselves, THAT is what would drive me crazy.

We've started making sure that we video chat with at least one family member each day.

A Pyrrhic Victory but a positive during this terrible disease pandemic:
Satellite images show nitrogen dioxide (NO2) concentrations from 10 March to 22 March, 2020 compared to the same period last year.
NO2, represented by the colour density on the maps, is shown to be in remarkably lower concentrations this month over New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Denver, Detroit and Houston. Millions of Americans have been ordered to stay home in the hope of slowing the Covid-19 outbreak.
The analyses of NO2 emissions were provided to The Independent by Descartes Labs, a geospatial analysis group. The images, using the European Space Agency's Sentinel-5P satellite data, represent weighted mean NO2 concentrations.

CHICAGO
NO2-concentrations-us-CHICAGO-1.jpg
NO2-concentrations-us-CHICAGO-2.jpg

DETROIT

NO2-concentrations-us-DETROIT-1.jpg
NO2-concentrations-us-DETROIT-2.jpg

HUSTON

NO2-concentrations-us-houston-1.jpg
NO2-concentrations-us-houston-2.jpg

A Pyrrhic Victory but a positive during this terrible disease pandemic:
Satellite images show nitrogen dioxide (NO2) concentrations from 10 March to 22 March, 2020 compared to the same period last year.
NO2, represented by the colour density on the maps, is shown to be in remarkably lower concentrations this month over New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Denver, Detroit and Houston........

I may regret this but......WTF does this have to do with anything???

You missed the opportunity to quarantine with your GF. I've heard of quite a few people doing this, just so they're not holed up by themselves, THAT is what would drive me crazy.

Yup, there was no way we could quarantine together, not with my work hours at night, but we have discovered a loophole in that I'm her son's alternate guardian and that means we are in the same circle. Weare lucky where I live since we are on the side of a hill that is sparsely housed and there's walking tracks around us, so can get out and get fresh air at least.

Are you in walking distance from the Wither Hills?

As they say, stay safe.

Yup, there was no way we could quarantine together, not with my work hours at night, but we have discovered a loophole in that I'm her son's alternate guardian and that means we are in the same circle. Weare lucky where I live since we are on the side of a hill that is sparsely housed and there's walking tracks around us, so can get out and get fresh air at least.

Are you in walking distance from the Wither Hills?

As they say, stay safe.
Yeah, might get out for a ride - that's got to be almost the same as a walk, and actually less likely to encounter someone.

Work has started to dry up; a couple of customers do ag work, and things like re-seeding for winter can't really be put off or there'll be no feed next summer. Also got a customer who does a bit of Civil Defence type work that has to be ready to go, so we're working on risk management plans for them. But after that, who knows?

By the way, any lady who needs a mask probably already has a supply of them.

However, they call them "brassieres." Cut a bra in half in the middle, wrap the strap around and sew on catch of some kind for it. If you want more filtering put a used dryer sheet on the inside or outside, or both.

Those molded paper masks you see originally were designed by 3M to be bras. They worked great but were so ugly no lady would wear one. But someone put one over his face and said, "Hey! You can breathe through this!" And a new accidental product line was born.

Just to put this to bed.

THERE IS NO EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR COVID-19 OTHER THAN SUPPORTIVE CARE. THIS IS WHY THE ISOLATION AND LOCKDOWNS ARE HAPPENING.

There have been small scale trials with a variety of agents. These include chloroquine, antivirals, anti-HIV meds and others. All have been less than 50 people with generally poor results and no significant improvement in mortality, length of stay or duration of intubation. We are looking at everything that might help and doing everything to find more effective treatments. There's nothing yet though.

Everyone reacts differently to the virus those that are most unwell suffer due to cytokine storm and the onset of adult respiratory distress syndrome, pulmonary oedema and multi-organ failure. These are the ITU cases with poor prognosis. Initial treatment is oxygen as needed, antibiotics (to cover concurrent and later developing bacterial pneumonia), fluids as needed and help them though. Similar to flu management expert we have antivirals that help with flu.

Symptoms and manner of spread are similar to flu however COVID-19 is 3 times more infectious as 3-10 times more deadly.

To put it in context.

1 person with flu infects on average 1.3-1.5 others. After 10 cycles of spread that's 14 people from 1 index case. Now for COVID-19 this is as follows:

1 person infects roughly 3 people and those 3 infect and so for 10 cycles that 1 index case would spread to 59,000 people.

Just think about that for a minute.

No health system can cope with the numbers if unconfined spread occurs there are just too many that are too unwell and not enough ventilators available. It would be catastrophic. That is why we are trying to flatten the curve so we can cope with the numbers. Thousands (probably hundreds of thousands all told) will die but it would be millions without isolation procedures.

Stay inside, keep your distance and don't listen to hacks on the internet. If you have symptoms isolate, call your GP and go from there. Leave it with the professionals not the toilet paper hoarders.

@michael rauls
This ends here. I will not tolerate the posting of unsubstantiated (and unreferenced) medication advice that may influence others and cause undue harm to others even if unwittingly. Anymore and you can spend some time at the beach thinking it all over.

Source?

Co-worker called in sick this past Monday. Then she came to work on Tuesday with a runny nose and sneezing. Management sent her home. Wonder what part of "If you're sick, stay home" she didn't understand?

Italy report, 5 p.m. today
cases 80,539, deaths 8,215, recovered 10,361, tests 361,060
fatality rate 10.2%
mortality rate 136 per million
tests rate 6 per thousand

53% of my company at my location (there are 16,000 of us) can work from home.

2 more of those who cannot were sent home today. It's started.

Just to put this to bed.
Symptoms and manner of spread are similar to flu however COVID-19 is 3 times more infectious as 3-10 times more deadly.
To put it in context.
1 person with flu infects on average 1.3-1.5 others. After 10 cycles of spread that's 14 people from 1 index case.
Now for COVID-19 this is as follows:
1 person infects roughly 3 people and those 3 infect and so for 10 cycles that 1 index case would spread to 59,000 people.

not to contradict the doc or a "Globetrotting Surgeon General"
but if COVID-19 is 3 times as infectious as a flu at 1,3-1,5 infections per cycle,
that brings the COVID-19 rate per cycle to 3,9 - 4,5
and the number of cases after 10 cycles to 814.040 - 3.405.063
the increase for even 0,1 is surprisingly high

not to contradict the doc or a "Globetrotting Surgeon General"
but if COVID-19 is 3 times as infectious as a flu at 1,3-1,5 infections per cycle,
that brings the COVID-19 rate per cycle to 3,9 - 4,5
and the number of cases after 10 cycles to 814.040 - 3.405.063
the increase for even 0,1 is surprisingly high

Either way its still f**king scary, so why pick at rounding differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back