Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's inline with the "doubling rate" assessment in the MITRE paper a few pages back which indicated the US had the worst doubling rate of all assessed countries (about 1.8 days - very short, leading to exponential growth). That means if your county has 13 cases today (Tues), by Thurs it'll be 26, by Saturday 52 and on Monday 104...give it another week or so, if no direct action is taken, your county may well be struggling with thousands of new cases every day.
We're pretty much on lock down with social distancing. We can still go to the park or for walks but no close proximity to anyone. There goes a lot of sex lives:).

I'm not going off any deep end. In your first post you referenced small sample sizes and specific medications to combat a virus that have not been verified. Despite the FDA, CDC, and Doctors saying further tests have to be done to determine its effectiveness and safety when treating the coronavirus, so it is not recommended. It is a drug with dangerous side affects. Chloroquine is not a vitamin you should tip back 3 or 4 a day to ward off viral infection. Despite these warnings, our wonderful leader went out and ran his mouth telling people he endorsed it, and now several people are dead or in critical condition in the USA and Nigeria.

The same goes with Zinc which you referenced as well. Zinc in too high of a dosage is toxic.

My point is tell people all you want to drink water, eat vegetables and fruits, but leave the actual medicinal advice to the experts, i.e. the doctors. Something that neither you or I are.
Ok, no problem. Just thought I might be able to help friends from un necessary suffering or perhaps worse in light of the current situation. Even though nutrition and medicine are one of my life long interests and areas of study I wont refrence them again. It will be difficult when someone here is sick and I know something that will almost certainly help but I will hold my tounge so to speak.:salute:

Ok, no problem. Just thought I might be able to help friends from un necessary suffering or perhaps worse in light of the current situation. Even though nutrition and medicine are one of my life long interests and areas of study I wont refrence them again. It will be difficult when someone here is sick and I know something that will almost certainly help but I will hold my tounge so to speak.:salute:

So despite Doctors saying that it is uncertain and further testing is required, you know you that it will certainly help?

Gnomey Gnomey , you are an actual doctor, who went to years of medical school, and works as a medical professional, do you think it is wise to tell people to pop a few pills to ward off a virus that have not been properly tested and confirmed to work?

Do you think it is wise to tell people to pop a few pills to ward off a virus that have not been properly tested and confirmed to work?

That would depend on whether said pills were available to me, and how sick I am. BUT (more to your point) I wouldn't suggest to others to take said pills, but study the matter the best you can and decide for yourself what to do.

So despite Doctors saying that it is uncertain and further testing is required, you know you that it will certainly help?

Gnomey Gnomey , you are an actual doctor, who went to years of medical school, and works as a medical professional, do you think it is wise to tell people to pop a few pills to ward off a virus that have not been properly tested and confirmed to work?
I was referencing other situations like a ketogenic diet for diabetes for example.
Not saying im any medical genius or any smarter than anyone else. Its just ive read alot of literature/ studies that others may not have due to having several chronic conditions that I have been able to cure by the way, Diabetes, high blood pressure and GIRD. It took over a decade of study and experamentation with diet etc but I no longer suffer from those ailments. I just cant stand to see others suffer if I have been through the same thing and know what will help or even if its not something ive been through and I think I know something that might help. What kind of person would I be if I kept such information to myself.
I will however keep any such knowledge to myself in the future.

That would depend on whether said pills were available to me, and how sick I am. BUT (more to your point) I wouldn't suggest to others to take said pills, but study the matter the best you can and decide for yourself what to do.

Then you use other forums to pass on untrained medical advice.

I was referencing other situations like a ketogenic diet for diabetes for example.
Not saying im any medical genius or any smarter than anyone else. Its just ive read alot of literature/ studies that others may not have due to having several chronic conditions that I have been able to cure by the way, Diabetes, high blood pressure and GIRD. It took over a decade of study and experamentation with diet etc but I no longer suffer from those ailments. I just cant stand to see others suffer if I have been through the same thing and know what will help or even if its not something ive been through and I think I know something that might help. What kind of person would I be if I kept such information to myself.
I will however keep any such knowledge to myself in the future.

One final last time...

You have no clue what will get rid of coronavirus. Neither do I. Neither doanyone else. You are not a doctor, and we will not have people getting possible ill advice on how to prevent or treat a novel virus. That is the job of a person's doctor.

I have consulted with the other staff of this forum and they agree.

I never said anybody SHOULD take anything. And I never mentioned pills unless one considers a LOW DOSE zinc supplement a pill. I summarised and aggregated research, readily available to anyone if they care to look.......Thought it might help.

One final last time...

You have no clue what will get rid of coronavirus. Neither do I. Neither doanyone else. You are not a doctor, and we will not have people getting possible ill advice on how to prevent or treat a novel virus. That is the job of a person's doctor.

I have consulted with the other staff of this forum and they agree.
Ok, No problem. You asked me a question in your post so I answered you honestly. I said I would not and have not suggested anything additional helpful in regards to diet etc.

Here is my final and last thought on this. If medical experts perform tests on a drug (chloroquine for instance) and they determine that at a specific dosage for a specific time will stop coronavirus, then by all means do so on your doctors orders. I would.

As for zinc the recommended daily dosage by medical experts is between 8 and 11 mg, not 50 mg or any other number (40 mg is the upper limit for adults, it's 4 mg for infants). It interferes with certain antibiotics. Taken at high doses or for an extended period of time can cause copper deficiency.

Just to put this to bed.

THERE IS NO EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR COVID-19 OTHER THAN SUPPORTIVE CARE. THIS IS WHY THE ISOLATION AND LOCKDOWNS ARE HAPPENING.

There have been small scale trials with a variety of agents. These include chloroquine, antivirals, anti-HIV meds and others. All have been less than 50 people with generally poor results and no significant improvement in mortality, length of stay or duration of intubation. We are looking at everything that might help and doing everything to find more effective treatments. There's nothing yet though.

Everyone reacts differently to the virus those that are most unwell suffer due to cytokine storm and the onset of adult respiratory distress syndrome, pulmonary oedema and multi-organ failure. These are the ITU cases with poor prognosis. Initial treatment is oxygen as needed, antibiotics (to cover concurrent and later developing bacterial pneumonia), fluids as needed and help them though. Similar to flu management expert we have antivirals that help with flu.

Symptoms and manner of spread are similar to flu however COVID-19 is 3 times more infectious as 3-10 times more deadly.

To put it in context.

1 person with flu infects on average 1.3-1.5 others. After 10 cycles of spread that's 14 people from 1 index case. Now for COVID-19 this is as follows:

1 person infects roughly 3 people and those 3 infect and so for 10 cycles that 1 index case would spread to 59,000 people.

Just think about that for a minute.

No health system can cope with the numbers if unconfined spread occurs there are just too many that are too unwell and not enough ventilators available. It would be catastrophic. That is why we are trying to flatten the curve so we can cope with the numbers. Thousands (probably hundreds of thousands all told) will die but it would be millions without isolation procedures.

Stay inside, keep your distance and don't listen to hacks on the internet. If you have symptoms isolate, call your GP and go from there. Leave it with the professionals not the toilet paper hoarders.

M michael rauls
This ends here. I will not tolerate the posting of unsubstantiated (and unreferenced) medication advice that may influence others and cause undue harm to others even if unwittingly. Anymore and you can spend some time at the beach thinking it all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back