Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't Fauci on TV about a week before Trump instituted the travel ban from China saying people in the US had nothing to worry about?
If he was, I must have missed it. That doesn't sound right, most un-Fauci-like.

Minnesota report, April 6
cases 986, recovered 470, hospitalized 223, deaths 30, tested 28,128*
fatality rate 3.1%
mortality rate 5.2 per million
tests rate 4.9 per thousand*
*Test kits are in short supply, and are currently being used only for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel.
MN infection rate.png

MN Hospitalization rate.png

Here are some numbers to compare with the US and international numbers listed in my post#1,285. There are 143 community hospitals in the state of Minnesota, but the bed numbers are only for 129 of them.
total hospitals*________143
total beds*_________14,500+
total ICU beds*______1,500+

Population______5,700,000

people/hospital_____39,860
people/bed___________393
people/ICU bed____~3,800
beds/1000 people_____2.5+
*As far as I know these numbers do not include psychiatric hospitals or their associated beds.

Last edited:
Wasn't Fauci on TV about a week before Trump instituted the travel ban from China saying people in the US had nothing to worry about?

He said "At the time" it was not a major threat, using the information they had. Context my friend, context. That was with taking necessary precautions, which were never done.

The point of the post is that Peter Navarro is giving medical advice and telling the public they should listen to him because he has a PhD. His PhD's are in Economics and Public Policy. Dr. Fauci is a real doctor whose PhD is in medicine, and has infectious disease experience. Trump should be taking medical advice from one, and not the other. The public should be given advice on medicine and cures from one, and not the other.

If he was, I must have missed it. That doesn't sound right, most un-Fauci-like.

there are several websites that have cut portions of his statement and portrayed a narrative that he advised it was no big deal. This is not the case. If you read the entire statement, it basically states with certain precautions it is not a major threat. Which he had said all along.

Well my fever completely broke on night 3. Here on day 4, I feel much better, but my body is completely drained and void of energy. It took a lot of my body to beat whatever it was fighting. It feels like I ran a marathon. No more fever, very light aches, no more chills, less mucus, and only a very light scratch in the throat. Next few days will be interesting.

Very few US politicians have significant STEM education (there are a few, although some of them, e.g., Ben Carson [the pyramids were not grain storage facilities; they are approximately solid lumps of rock, which kind of limits their use in that role] are far worse than a typical politician). Politicians without STEM education and with disdain for STEM expertise, the scientific method, and who mistake ideology for evidence are a massive problem. Like it as not, we have one in the White House and one in Blair House.

One thing many people -- especially strongly ideological people of any political stripe -- don't seem to understand is that scientific thought is never absolute: scientific theories are only as good as the latest physical evidence. Documents and oral traditions, no matter how sacred, are completely irrelevant.

Well my fever completely broke on night 3. Here on day 4, I feel much better, but my body is completely drained and void of energy. It took a lot of my body to beat whatever it was fighting. It feels like I ran a marathon. No more fever, very light aches, no more chills, less mucus, and only a very light scratch in the throat. Next few days will be interesting.

That''s great news, Chris. Glad you seem to be well on the road to recovery. Looks like we won't have to send the boys round to give you a good talking-to!! :)

Minnesota report, April 6
cases 986, recovered 470, hospitalized 223, deaths 30, tested 28,128*
fatality rate 3.1%
mortality rate 5.2 per million
tests rate 4.9 per thousand*
*Test kits are in short supply, and are currently being used only for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel.
View attachment 576468
View attachment 576469

Here are some numbers to compare with the US and international numbers listed in My post#1,285. There are 143 community hospitals in the state of Minnesota, but the bed numbers are only for 129 of them.
total hospitals*________143
total beds*_________14,500+
total ICU beds*______1,500+

Population______5,700,000

people/hospital_____39,860
people/bed___________393
people/ICU bed____~3,800
beds/1000 people_____2.5+
*As far as I know these numbers do not include psychiatric hospitals or their associated beds.

There are about 8700 hospital beds in Connecticut, including the short-term psychiatric beds in hospitals. About 10% of these are ICU beds. This count doesn't include long-term psychiatric facilities, e.g., the Institute of Living.

Throughout the US, there has been a long-term decline in the number of hospital beds since the early 1980s. There is also a tendency for hospitals to keep minimum inventories of consumables, like N95 masks, which makes economic sense, but only works until there's a pandemic and the demand for consumables spikes and the supply chain gets disrupted. While hospitals do plan for mass casualty events, a local event, like a plane crash or a terrorist attack, doesn't disrupt the supply chain and nearby stockpiles, such as at distant hospitals or suppliers' warehouses can be transferred to the area of high demand. With this global, ongoing pandemic that kind of planning is insufficient. Incidentally, it has been thought about: the Obama->Trump transition period had an exercise covering global pandemic coming into the US. We've also had global pandemics in the past: Spanish flu (which almost certainly originated in the US Midwest) being the most widespread and lethal. We've also had endemic tuberculosis (which killed two of my father's grandparents; his grandfather probably contracted it during his service in the US Civil War), polio (run, don't walk, to get your children vaccinated!) and severe outbreaks of measles, mumps, and rubella.

Apparently he was confirmed as having the virus about 10 days ago, and went into hospital on Sunday, moved to ICU this evening, UK time, as " a precaution ".
9-10 days in is the typical tipping point for whether you'll get better or not. Then it just a matter of time and what level care is needed.

strongly ideological people of any political stripe -- don't seem to understand is that scientific thought is never absolute: scientific theories are only as good as the latest physical evidence.

there are several websites that have cut portions of his statement and portrayed a narrative that he advised it
The deliberative, non-commital nature of scientific speech renders it especially susceptible to out-of-context sound bites. And what percentage of American adults have even heard the term "media literacy", never mind understand it? American schools, you're WAY behind the 8-ball! Ask any European or ("free" world) Asian, they'll tell you.
OTOH, even educated folks who should know better are often more loyal to ideological ties than to scientific rigor. Ideology has replaced traditional religion as the faith of the people.

Last edited:
Italy report, 5 p.m. (CEST) today, 7th April
cases 135,586, new 3,039, deaths 17,127, new 609, recovered 24,392, new 1,555, tests 755,455, new 33,723
fatality rate 12.6%
mortality rate 284 per million
test rate 12.5 per thousand
test rate today 559 per million

OTOH, even educated folks who should know better are often more loyal to ideological ties than to scientific rigor. Ideology has replaced traditional religion as the faith of the people.
MEA CULPA! Despite my high-sounding rhetoric, I sometimes find myself unreceptive to repugnant facts from the other side of the aisle, even though I can't legitimately refute them. Intellectual honesty has its limits.
Cheers,
Wes

He said "At the time" it was not a major threat, using the information they had. Context my friend, context. That was with taking necessary precautions, which were never done.

The point of the post is that Peter Navarro is giving medical advice and telling the public they should listen to him because he has a PhD. His PhD's are in Economics and Public Policy. Dr. Fauci is a real doctor whose PhD is in medicine, and has infectious disease experience. Trump should be taking medical advice from one, and not the other. The public should be given advice on medicine and cures from one, and not the other.

I think people should take medical advice only from the doctor that is treating them. Nor should Fauci, or anybody else be giving medical advice at a presss conference, doctor or not. As for context, you seem to imply it was a lack of information. I think it was more likely hubris on the part of experts who have actually never experienced a disease as easily-spread and fatal as this one. I am not saying that Fauci does not know what he is doing, I am not a political hack, but experts always think they know what will happen, and when it does, it doesn't always follow there game plan. I do not what to go down the rabbit hole and play "should have/could have " (like some politicians are), but I think a person of his experience should have been more concerned. Do I blame him? Of cources not. It is a pandemic of a novel virus. I do not believe anything could have stopped it from spreading, especially if asymptomatic people can infect others. That is a game changer. And we as a nation and a planet were not prepared, nor do I believe we could have been. And, sadly, will not be in the future. When things go back to normal, we may focus on preparedness for the next one, but how long will that last. How many ventilators will we stock pile? How many PPE's will we require hospital to have in stock as they take up space and increase the costs of hospital administrators? How long will it last? The US had not seen a similar situation in just over a century and our focus and attention on preparedness will not last that long.

We do not know enough about the virus "at this tine" to assess the cost and efficacy of the response. Regardless of what you think about certain political leader on either side of the aisle, it is and was always going to be a chaotic response because government and the health care systems are bureaucracies and bureaucracies to not respond to out-of-the-ordinary business very well. Partisanship on the part of the press and government leaders does not make it better either, but that is the nature of their world as the jockey for ratings and political name-recognition in an election year.

When I started this post I was mad, not an any individual person or post, but at the partisanship that keeps creeping up in people's posts. I read this thread because we have people on it from all over the world and I am curious about there experiences in this event that is affecting almost all of us.. If I wanted not to hear partisan jabs at politicians that people hate, I would read Twitter. And there is plenty of criticism and second-guessing for all of them.

BTW, I hope you are feeling better and wish you a speedy recovery, and hope the rest of your family stays healthy. Wish every else and their family safety and good health.

I agree with you that people should only take medical from their doctors. I also agree with much of your post.

I try to keep politics out of my posts, because it does not belong on this forum. But i will be honest, it is very difficult to not be partisan, and not get political. Especially with what we have at the moment. In all honesty I don't consider myself partisan. In fact those that actually know me personally know that I am very centered in my beliefs. Some of me leans left, some leans right, I am very middle of the road. Outside of this forum I criticize both sides of the coin. Unfortunately in the context of this topic, my criticism lies mostly with the one particular side.

But I agree, this should not be the place for it.

Last edited:
Very glad to hear you are on the mend Chris.

Thought I'd post this interesting product my wife picked up at the grocery store yesterday. It's hand sanitizer made by a local craft brewery, hence the container, and you could only get it at the customer service desk.

20200406_165236.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back