Coronavirus Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you that people should only take medical from their doctors. I also agree with much of your post.

I try to keep politics out of my posts, because it does not belong on this forum. But i will be honest, it is very difficult to not be partisan, and not get political. Especially with what we have at the moment. In all honestly I don't consider myself partisan. In fact that those that actually know me personally know that I am very centered in my beliefs. Some of me leans left, some leans right, I am very middle of the road. Outside of this forum I criticize both sides of the coin. Unfortunately in the context of this topic, my criticism lies mostly with the one particular side.

But I agree, this should not be the place for it.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. There is just one more point I forgot to make in the earlier post. I think there is a difference between being partisan and political. I believe being political be having a discussion of what works/ed, what failed, which choice turned out to be right or wrong. Now I understand no one will be objective in their assessment, everybody comes with an angle, but I think there is a wide range of acceptable criticism that is helpful.

Ex. 1 (Political)
He or she's decision to do A was wrong because it led to B. He or she should have done C because it would have led to D.

Ex. 2 (Partisan)
He or she's decision to do A was wrong because it led to B, which proves he or she is an idiot, racist, xenophobe, misogynist, economically-motivated, etc. And since he or she was all of the aforementioned things, he or she would not have C, which would have led to D, which he or she did not what D to happen because he or she is an idiot, racist, xenophobe, misogynist, economically-motivated, etc.

Now this does not mean we cannot make a moral assessment of someone. Let's take for example Adolph Hitler. To easy, I know, but pretty much everybody concludes evil. I agree. But Hitler's evilness was not the cause of the widespread anti-Semitism of Europe and the US in the early decades of the 20th century, which directed and rooted his ideology. I believe you nailed on the head in an earlier post when you said "context" and timely-information. You do not get either in partisan battles which a just often times hyperbole. I do not believe Time magazine thought Hitler was evil when they named him Man of the Year in 1938.

Ok, I'm done with this, it is too much like work. It is giving me a headache. I have decided that today I will continue to save the world by keeping my fat ass firmly planted on my cough. If sitting on my ass was a super power, I'd be the new Captain America, minus the spandex suit. Nobody wants to see that.

Take care and good health.

I think people should take medical advice only from the doctor that is treating them. Nor should Fauci, or anybody else be giving medical advice at a presss conference, doctor or not.
Slippery slope here. Where do you draw the line between public health policy recommendations and medical advice? When does a procedure, policy, or treatment mentioned or advocated by a national medical spokesman cross that line?
Food for thought.
Cheers,
Wes

Well my fever completely broke on night 3. Here on day 4, I feel much better, but my body is completely drained and void of energy. It took a lot of my body to beat whatever it was fighting. It feels like I ran a marathon. No more fever, very light aches, no more chills, less mucus, and only a very light scratch in the throat. Next few days will be interesting.
Well, you were feeling good enough to give us a status report. And that's a good sign.

from the doctor that is treating them.
WOW!! You live in a place where you ACTUALLY see an ACTUAL M.D. Doctor and you actually get to SPEAK to one ZOWIE-Batman you must be a VERY special person or live in a very special place. Around this neck of the woods only God speaks to an actual M.D.-type Doctor and then only with an appointment 3 months in advance. Calling (at least 3 times) gets you a Doctor's Nurse's telephone recording in which they tell the same joke "Your call is important to us and will be returned in 24 hours" Yea sure, and I'm Queen of the May. Appointments, here you actually see a P.A. who supposedly discusses his/her findings with the Doctor who rumor has it recommends a course of treatment. Oh yea, as icing on the cake you never see the same P.A. twice in a row so P.A. X take you off a particular drug and 6 months later P.A. Y puts you back on the original drug.
It has been three years since I've actually seen an M.D. except on TV

WOW!! You live in a place where you ACTUALLY see an ACTUAL M.D. Doctor and you actually get to SPEAK to one ZOWIE-Batman you must be a VERY special person or live in a very special place. Around this neck of the woods only God speaks to an actual M.D.-type Doctor and then only with an appointment 3 months in advance. Calling (at least 3 times) gets you a Doctor's Nurse's telephone recording in which they tell the same joke "Your call is important to us and will be returned in 24 hours" Yea sure, and I'm Queen of the May. Appointments, here you actually see a P.A. who supposedly discusses his/her findings with the Doctor who rumor has it recommends a course of treatment. Oh yea, as icing on the cake you never see the same P.A. twice in a row so P.A. X take you off a particular drug and 6 months later P.A. Y puts you back on the original drug.
Well, that's the for-profit medical system for ya!
Nurses here are limited in what they can do, usually vaccinations, triaging, etc. Medical P.A? Never heard of them outside of this forum...

Hey guys,

For anyone not familiar with the PA:

A Physician Assistant (PA) is someone who - under the supervision of an MD - is licensed to diagnose, treat, and prescribe medication for patients who have illnesses within their and the supervising MD's area of expertise. For the most part the PA functions as a workload relief aide in the general medicine area, allowing MDs to focus on the more difficult diagnoses and treatments, and allowing the MDs to deal with more cases. The PA may, however, specialize in much the same way as an MD.

Most state governments and medical systems require a Masters degree, testing and certification by the state in which they work, and an internship under the close supervision of qualified medical personnel with whom they intern (MDs, senior PAs, senior Nurses, etc). As with all professional medical careers in the US, there is also a requirement for continuing education and performance/qualification evaluations.

The above should not in any way serve to understate the value or skill of the PA. In many cases an experienced PA can be as skilled as an MD, within the PA's limits of education, experience, and authority.

The above should not in any way serve to understate the value or skill of the PA. In many cases an experienced PA can be as skilled as an MD, within the PA's limits of education, experience, and authority.
I have seen the same PA 3X in the 4 weeks because my regular doctor at another office required a weeks notice but the offices are related.

Minnesota report, April 7
cases 1,069**, recovered 549, hospitalized 242, deaths 34, tested 29,260*
fatality rate 3.2%
mortality rate 6 per million
tests rate 5.1 per thousand*
*Test kits are in short supply, and are currently being used only for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel.
**296 of the cases are healthcare workers, nearly all contracted the virus through their work duties.

We're still pretty lucky here - around 1,200 cases, and one fatality. Daily new case numbers were 54 yesterday, and 50 today, and trending down.

around 1,200 cases, and one fatality.

Yup, and even then, according to health professionals that fatality was a result of complications from an existing condition, she just happened to have covid-19. How you doing Aaron? Still working? We've grounded over half the fleet of Dashes and ATRs, but some are still flying, so we have work, but on a reduced scale.

Oh yea, as icing on the cake you never see the same P.A. twice in a row
That's the regime I learned to fly under. The club actively discouraged students from developing attachments to any one instructor, all in the name of standardization, and they were relentless about it. Bad idea in my book.
As with all professional medical careers in the US, there is also a requirement for ongoing education/performance evaluation/qualification.
I go to a rural health center which has one very senior, very experienced, very wonderful MD, (who keeps the place running in his spare time), three young, enthusiastic, and green as grass MDs, and, seven or eight PAs who are mostly old hands who've seen it all. "My" PA holds a PHD in medical education, is chair of the Physicians Assistant program at a medical school over in NH and works at our health center one day and two nights a week. She "counsels" the young docs like a GySgt with a brand new 2nd Lt. Just a VT farm girl who grew up milking cows before school and before dinner and homework, and never quite quit "growing up". I get regularly asked if I mind a PA student sitting in on my appointment, as I have a long term chronic condition that I'm an experienced manipulator of. Usually results in some interesting conversations and meeting dedicated and talented young people. I keep hearing: "I want to do 'hands on' medicine, not be an administrator like the MDs".
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
I figure it'd be best for people to wear some form of improvised face-mask, if for no other reason than to contain the infection to those who have it (and since you can be asymptomatic and able to infect others unwittingly).

The larger droplets have often proven to be the primary avenue of spread, so I would figure that would confine things at the source. When I was in the doctors office in late January (I had an upper-respiratory infection), there wasn't really much concern about COVID-19 (that said, it was the tail end of flu season, and my PC physician is a pulmonologist by training), but I was given a face-mask to wear. This never happened before, but nonetheless, I complied. I was later told that this kind of mask will not protect an uninfected person from the virus, but it would confine the infection to the person who has it.

That seems a good enough reason, as the virus has less ability to spread, and you can just run the clock out.

I would offer two other reasons for wearing a mask of some sort.
  • I suffer from dry eye so am always rubbing my eyes and have done so for years because it assists the eyelids to express lubricant
  • I have also had an itchy nose for years.
Breaking these habits has been impossible so far so when I went to town today for first trip in 3 weeks I wore one of my wife's wood turning masks.

Probably totally useless as a medical mask but it was very effective to stop the rubbing of both eyes and nose because as soon as I touched it it provided the proverbial stop that you idiot message

Last edited:
Ok, I'm done with this, it is too much like work. It is giving me a headache. I have decided that today I will continue to save the world by keeping my fat ass firmly planted on my cough. If sitting on my ass was a super power, I'd be the new Captain America, minus the spandex suit. Nobody wants to see that. Take care and good health.

Then obviously you are planning on following the instructions in one particular video I got in an email today exactly. I will not post it as it probably would not pass the profanity test but one of the background images is the famous Brit Keep calm poster with the bottom half saying and do %^& all

And then when you actually get to see a doctor there is the problem of what their religious and political biases are.
Here it usually only takes 3 weeks to get a non critical appointment in normal times but the clinic, like all others in rural areas, has a very high staff turnover.
In the last couple of years I have had one want to take me off a medication prescribed days earlier because it contained alcohol and another tell me I should not have the latest flu vaccine because it is manufactured in the USA. In both cases I informed them I would be reporting them to the medical ombudsman and they quickly decided that the advice they gave seconds earlier was mistaken

This was interesting, in the US if a patient dies with COVID, regardless of why they died it's classified as a death from COVID.

Birx says government is classifying all deaths of patients with coronavirus as 'COVID-19' deaths, regardless of cause

Would they have likely died now had they not had the virus? Diabetes is an underlying condition that contributes to coronavirus deaths, but is manageable under normal conditons. Therefore you should not list it as a death caused by diabetes right?

Point is that if the virus was the catalyst it should be the cause of death, with contributing factors.

It's no different when classifying aircraft accidents. You put the actual probable cause, and then you list the contributing factors (i.e. underlying issues).

Examples:

Cause of death: Covid-19
Contributing factor: heart disease
Contributing factor: obesity

Cause of accident: Controlled Flight Into Terrain
Contributing factor: Pilot had alcohol in his system
Contributing factor: spatial disorientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back