Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, speaking of the bacon mask image, there is a particularly serious problem: The food-chain.

Farm workers are starting to get sick in increasing numbers in some places. There's already been some dairy farms dumping milk, for example. This isn't a problem that will present in just cattle and dairy farms, but even farms for just fruit & veg, as the illness spreads from human to human.

Frankly, I've been trying to contact some activists and stuff and figure out if it's possible to set up some kind of community farming thing, or figure out a way to raise money for a lot of masks. If the food chain goes, most of us are toast.

Italy report, 5 pm (CEST) 17th April
cases 172,434, new 3,493, deaths 22,745, new 575, recovered 42,727, new 2,563, tests 1,244,108, new 65,705
fatality rate 13.2%
mortality rate 377 per million
test rate 20.6 per thousand
test rate today 1,089 per million, new record
positive rate 13.9% (cases/total tests)
positive rate today 5.3% (new cases/new tests)

I saw on the news that in the US the wants to 'restart society again'. Sounds a bit strange at a moment when they have the highest death toll by corona in the world. But I don't know about the hospital numbers. Is the amount of new patients per day going down?

The key factor is not numbers it's percentage; in this case the percentage of free/available ICU beds and ventilators, whichever percentage is lower. This is a difference in methodology: Are we attempting ducking/dodging the disease, or enduring it and retaining functionality during it.

mikewint "Then again for some of us the food chain comes to us " OK, show us how you bag, gut, and cook a Peterbuilt?
jetcal1 : "Any honest propeller always wants to go clockwise " Please note: dishonest propellers lie about which way they go ... some swing both ways ...

The U.S. appears to have a higher count because it has a higher population (outside of China, who has masked their actual toll) but statistic-wise, it's lower than many nations with 107 deaths per million compared to nations like Belgium (445 deaths per million), Spain (417 deaths per million), Italy (376 deaths per million) and so on. In that respect, the U.S. ranks #13.

We also have the highest critical care numbers as well.

People don't seem to understand how this works. Lets open everything up, and then let all the infected people keep spreading it. Thats how to beat a virus! lol

I keep hearing people compare this to the flu (and I was guilty of that too a few months ago) but that is such a naive and simple thing to do. They keep saying the flu kills more, and more get infected with it. Well yeah dumb ass, thats because we don't social distance with the flu. CV-19 has three times the fatality rate, and is more contagious. We are keeping the numbers down by shutting everything down. Think about what the numbers would be if we treated it like the flu.

You cannot get through to these internet armchair doctors and virus experts though...

I'm really getting to the point that I want to contain all these people together, and let the virus remove them from the gene pool.

I saw on the news that in the US the wants to 'restart society again'.
We need that like a hole in the head: While it appears to have almost topped off, there are still a lot of people who are ill and capable of spreading the illness around. If social distancing would stop at this point, the rates would increase to absurd proportions. Our system is already overburdened.

I'd figure you'd want to wait until you went over the top of the curve and were on the downside in all 50 states, and then wait about 37 days minimum (that seems to be about the time it takes from when a person first is infected, to stops being infectious).

That still revolves around the presumption that all international travel remained halted

Yeah that is what I thought and really didn't understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread