Dallas Airshow Tragedy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is not only a terrible tragedy but points out that the vintage warbird "industry" really needs to get its act together. In recent years the loss of the Collins B-17 due to horribly poor maintenance and lack of pilot skills, the crash of a CAF C-47 in Texas and a P-51D in Texas in 2018, the loss of that superb B-25 in California due to running out of fuel, the loss of the TBM at the Cocoa Beach airshow due to an unrecognized but obvious oil leak, the crash of the CAF P-51B during a simple proficiency flight, and now this mid-air, should be regarded as intolerable. All of those cases were due to gross incompetence on the part of the personnel involved. We are not going to have to be worried about the FAA shutting down such exhibition flights because soon there won't be anything left to fly.

The CAF had wrecked their P-51B and crashed a Spanish He-111 several years back and supposedly decided it was time to start acting professional. All flying is an unforgiving endeavor; I saw recently where Sept 2022 saw almost one fatal general aviation mishap for every day of he month. People flying warbirds should be far more proficient, not less.

I was on my way back from Austin when this happened, the B-17 belonged to the Gulf Coast wing, the P-63 used to be at West Houston but has long since moved.

This is not only a terrible tragedy but points out that the vintage warbird "industry" really needs to get its act together. In recent years the loss of the Collins B-17 due to horribly poor maintenance and lack of pilot skills, the crash of a CAF C-47 in Texas and a P-51D in Texas in 2018, the loss of that superb B-25 in California due to running out of fuel, the loss of the TBM at the Cocoa Beach airshow due to an unrecognized but obvious oil leak, the crash of the CAF P-51B during a simple proficiency flight, and now this mid-air, should be regarded as intolerable. All of those cases were due to gross incompetence on the part of the personnel involved. We are not going to have to be worried about the FAA shutting down such exhibition flights because soon there won't be anything left to fly.

The CAF had wrecked their P-51B and crashed a Spanish He-111 several years back and supposedly decided it was time to start acting professional. All flying is an unforgiving endeavor; I saw recently where Sept 2022 saw almost one fatal general aviation mishap for every day of he month. People flying warbirds should be far more proficient, not less.
I can't dispute a lot of what you say.

Having flown several different types of aircraft in formation, I have my opinions on what happened but will keep them to myself until the NTSB makes their report.

There was another video on YouTube (now removed) that gave a high-def view of the planes approaching the airport, collision and aftermath.
My opinion is that the P-63 was watching his Lead (P-51) ahead and to the left and never saw the B-17. An unfortunate error.

Although i'm really sad, i can't help but think that dying doing the thing you most enjoyed in life would be the best way to go...
Godspeed to those gentlemen, and i hope they can fly forever now.
EXZmyLiXYAAlYVW.jpeg

:pilotsalute:

I think it's time to permanently retire ww2 warbirds, they are too rare now and too old be kept flying, even with top shape maintenance.
The men certified to fly them are old now too.
If i was really rich, i'd pull a yakolev in the 90s and build replicas to spec, like ww1 warbirds now.

Here's a report from WFAA Channel 8 in Dallas with two different videos showing the collision. The first one does seem to back up mjfur's opinion that the P-63 was following the lead of his wingman who is just briefly visible on the far right of the video for a few seconds. At the end it appears the front half of the B-17 almost crashed into a biplane that was on the runway just in front of the crash.

Jim

I think it's time to permanently retire ww2 warbirds, they are too rare now and too old be kept flying, even with top shape maintenance.
Some are but there a few young ones who are coming up the ranks who are very proficient. These aircraft are privately owned, as long as they meet US airworthy requirements, the owner/ operators can do as they wish.

Some of the warbirds flying today have been rebuilt from wrecks and in some cases are barely original.

My buddy was in that formation, (He's ok) he's 42. The majority of these pilots are 40's, 50's, 60's. Age of the pilot or plane had nothing to do with this.

This is awful, word cannot really tell how many of us must feel at this terrible news.
My condolences to the families and friends of those who have been lost.
:pilotsalute:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back