Dallas Airshow Tragedy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That any of us might be so fortunate as to leave this world so engaged. Not in reckless abandon, self-neglect, anxiety or regret, but in such pure and honest expression of passion and joy that it breaks a million hearts on their accidental departure. In that sadness, it is natural to want to understand and prevent it (and may it be so) and for some, a natural impulse also to eliminate the pursuit of joy that led to the death - so I suppose these sorts of incidents do provoke and illustrate boldly the thought of what life & liberty is for in the first place.

:pilotsalute:

The B-17(PB-1W) N7227C & P-63F N6763 In better, happier times. R.I.P. all.

Image (22) copy.jpg

Pretty tough to tell people what they can do with their property.

As long as they are doing it on private property and present no risk to the public - have at it, but as long as you have members of the public in the potential fall out zone outside the 'private property', the FAA absolutely can impose restrictions for public safety.

As long as they are doing it on private property and present no risk to the public - have at it, but as long as you have members of the public in the potential fall out zone outside the 'private property', the FAA absolutely can impose restrictions for public safety.
You have over 40,000 people killed each year in vehicle accidents in the U.S. - where is the Government restrictions regarding this problem?

The point being, Air show accidents do happen on occasion. It is tragic as well as traumatic, but it is rare. Additionally, it has happened to all types: vintage as well as modern aircraft (military, aeribatic, etc.).

Demanding the grounding of vintage aircraft will not stop airshow accidents.

Last edited:
That any of us might be so fortunate as to leave this world so engaged.
I just hope that in the pursuit of my bliss, whatever that is, I don't endanger others. I felt terrible for that B-17 crew, they were just flying on a steady course, enjoying the moment, and trusting that the other aircraft nearby would not fatally collide with them. I ride a motorcycle and I know that's dangerous - I'm okay taking that personal risk for myself, but I'd never forgive myself if through poor control of my motorcycle I killed not only myself, but other users of the road.
You have over 40,000 people killed each year in vehicle accidents - where is the Government restrictions regarding this problem?
I suppose that's government restrictions and laws around speed limits, crash barrier design and use, seatbelts, air bags, crumple zones, back up cameras, daytime running lights and likely soon lane departure warnings.

Last edited:
I suppose that's government restrictions and laws around speed limits, crash barrier design and use, seatbelts, air bags, crumple zones, back up cameras, daytime running lights and likely soon lane departure warnings.
Just like vehicle traffic, Air shows are highly regulated (in the U.S. and abroad) but incidents still happen.

However, you don't see the general public demanding that vehicles be taken off the road when there's a collision at the nearby intersection.

as long as you have members of the public in the potential fall out zone outside the 'private property', the FAA absolutely can impose restrictions for public safety.
That's the only thing the FAA can do, throw up the safety card, but these days they have to show cause before they pull an airworthiness certificate

However, you don't see the general public demanding that vehicles be taken off the road when there's a collision at the nearby intersection.
I don't think the general public is demanding that airshows not occur. In fact they're as popular as ever. As a general public guy myself, I would ask that regulations be either enacted or adhered to so to as best as possible avoid a repeat. Clearly nothing was learned from the below near miss that was applied to the CAF SOPS.
Yesterday a friend of mine reminded me of this incident…watch the Corsair.

I don't think the general public is demanding that airshows not occur. In fact they're as popular as ever. As a general public guy myself, I would ask that regulations be either enacted or adhered to so to as best as possible avoid a repeat. Clearly nothing was learned from the below near miss that was applied to the CAF SOPS.
There are, in this thread, comments by actual Air show participants, who have clearly outlined the procedures for flight demonstrations.

The FAA also has strict guidelines for shows, including how far from the spectators the demonstrations shall be, the direction of flight in order to protect spectators and so on.

Air shows aren't a spur of the moment event, they are planned and prepared months or years in advance, which includes FAA involvement.

Air shows aren't a spur of the moment event, they are planned and prepared months or years in advance, which includes FAA involvement.
Noting that happens at an airshow is 'spur of the moment' Which is what makes me doubt that rumour of someone calling the P-63 to 'take the lead' unless it was a planned part of the display.
The only perceivable time that this would occur would be if the lead had a problem and was pulling out for some reason, and even then this would be briefed before-hand.

I haven't given much of our procedures, because we are operating in a different regulatory environment. But, there is no 'control' from the ground. There is direction from the ground during the display, but the final control rests with display element leads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back