De Havilland Mosquito

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, built up over literally a life time.I became 'seriously' interested in aviation in general, and WW2 in particular, around about the age of eight, having already been 'ordinarily' interested (fascinated!) since a toddler. I'm now 58, and have had the opportunity, indeed privilege, of being involved first hand in many interesting aviation areas, meeting many fascinating people, some well-know or even famous, as well as having access, at various times, to some fantastic aircraft, and the opportunity to fly in, or fly, some of them. This, along with producing a few aviation related AV programmes, and of course my aviation art, has helped build on the relatively extensive library of printed or photographic 'knowledge'.
When it comes to the Mossie, the scheme shown for MM417 was actually used, but with the full 'Day Fighter' additions - but not by the squadron concerned. Even today, there are still profiles produced, showing thsi scheme on other aircraft from the Squadron, and I'll admit, I thought it was fact myself for many years, especially as it fitted the depictions of Mossies in the movie '633 Squadron'. But, having analysed the photos carefully, and then having it confirmed by men who actually flew these aircraft, in that particular Squadron, I had to accept that the aircraft were painted as other squadron's kites were, and not as profiler and photo captions declared. It was also pointed out to me that virtually every model, painting or profile, shows the aircraft in far too clean a condition!!

Thank-you, Terry, for sharing your background. It pays living over in England, and being able to talk to the pilots who actually flew these beautiful aircraft.

Tell you what, if you ever fly across the "pond" to Boston's Logan Airport, look me up. I live in the Western part of Massachusetts. I'm a little more than two years younger than you, and have fallen in love with aircraft ever since seeing a TWA Super Connie at St. Louis Airport when I was four years old. Then I took a ride in a DC-3 when I was six! God bless prop engined aircraft!

Long live Geoffrey DeHavilland!

Airframes, I keep hoping in you but may be a unusual aircraft . Anyway, is too late for me. When i read your post i already had painting my model and i can't change anything.
So, right or wrong, my camouflage.

The Dark Green

Mosquito43.gif

lights and shadows

Mosquito44.gif

Mosquito45.gif

Mosquito46.gif

Mosquito47.gif

Mosquito48.gif

Mosquito49.gif

Well, right or wrong, it looks great!
The degree of weathering looks just right foir a Mossie. If you feel inclined to add more, then concentrate on a light dirty look around the engine cowling panels, gun nose panels, entrance hatch and radio hatch. Most of this 'grime' was from the grubby hands of the ground crew, over a period of time, which darkened the paintwork slightly due to the fabric covering on the fuselage, and foot and tool marks on the metal panels.
Shouls look a stunner when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back