Detroit?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Considering how many are now built in the US probably not as much as one would think. I personally hated dealing with the Big Three and the Teir 1 suppliers as their approach was always adversarial whereas Toyota and Honda was approach was a lot more friendly and helpful.

Half of Detroit's issues I think were the Big 3 and their Unions running a business by being bullies which is not the way you want to do it, and unfortunately they are now paying the price.

Might get the numbers wrong here, using the wee gray ones, but....wasn't Detroit up in 1,700 000 inhabitants back in the 50's and are now down to below 700,000?

Considering how many are now built in the US probably not as much as one would think. I personally hated dealing with the Big Three and the Teir 1 suppliers as their approach was always adversarial whereas Toyota and Honda was approach was a lot more friendly and helpful.

Half of Detroit's issues I think were the Big 3 and their Unions running a business by being bullies which is not the way you want to do it, and unfortunately they are now paying the price.
Agree...

With the successive strikes and escelating retail prices while quality control declined during the late 70's - early 80's, the Japanese imports were able to get thier foot in the door.

Add to that AMC going down (even though Chrysler bought them out) which left a good deal of people unemployed and vendors having to downsize in AMC's absence.

On the upside, Japan's automakers have quite a few models that are manufactured here in North America (Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mitsubishi all have plants here)

I think the downturn started with the riots in the late 1960s (there were riots all over the place, but those in Detroit seemed to be particularly destructive), but Detroit's recovery was largely precluded by the conditions of the US auto industry: poor design, poor quality, and generally poor products.

I've heard, on NPR, that some of abandoned property in Detroit is being returned to agriculture, as it costs less than farmland in the surrounding part of Michigan. Personally, I think that the more distant suburbs will start having the same sort of collapse in the future when road fuel starts hitting $8 or $9/gallon, which will happen regardless of fever dreams about miracles from ANWR or whatever.

Well, yeah and no...the gold, silver and timber towns were "boom" towns usually with a transient population. The city of Old Shasta here in Shasta county was the county seat during the late 1800's and boasted of a population of about 14,000 people...today, it has a population of about 200. Same could be said for Silverado in east Orange County that was a gold camp until silver was discovered. Once the silver was gone, so were the residents.

The difference between these towns and the city of Detroit, is that Detroit wasn't an overnight sensation. It grew from an Indian village into a metropolis over time. It has (or rather, had) infrastructure that under normal conditions, would perpetuate the city's existance. It has been mis-management that has pushed the city into disaster, not the decline of nearby natural resources.

The number I heard on the news the other evening was that Detroit lost about 90% of its manufacturing jobs. We can rail against government regulations, unions, local government, and what-have-you, but it there was not just one guilty party: it was a confluence of all these, with the Arab Oil Embargo setting a match to the fuze.

Rumor I've heard is that some US auto executives will tell you, in private, after a few single malts, that the CAFE standards saved them: their corporate culture was so attached to heavy, high-powered, inefficient vehicles that they would have kept going down the path to oblivion.

From Business Insider

•Detroit's population has plunged 63% since 1950.
•...and it's down 26% since 2000.
•The unemployment rate hit a high of 27.8% in July 2009.
•As of April 2013, the unemployment rate was at 16%.
•Even though the population fell 63% since 1950, the municipal workforce fell by just 40%, adding to the strain on public finances.
•Detroit has the highest violent crime rate of any large U.S. city
•...it's five times higher than the national average.
•40% of the city's street lights don't work.
•78,000 structures and 66,000 lots are abandoned.
•Arson accounts for 1,000 of 12,0000 fires per year.
•...60% of those arson fires are in dilapidated or empty buildings.

Read that again. •Arson accounts for 1,000 of 12,0000 fires per year.

Read more: Depressing Detroit Statistics - Business Insider

Detroit and its fall is similar to the failure of the British motorcycle industry - in reality had very little to do with the Japanese companies; they're just the poster on the door you see as it shuts.

But more to do with blinkered idealism ego, the self viewed superiority of companies, unions and improper design concepts, that and the spreading crime (unorganised) organised crime (corrupted governmental, police official persons) certainly haven't helped it out since - like the close of Rover in B'ham by BWM, and the effects of the areas that worked at the Longbridge Rover Plant.just the poster on the door you see as it shuts.

CC, Hyundai are your (General Motor/GM related I believe) South Koeran Allies, like Daiwoo was before Chevy bourght them out, of which, some of the Daiwoo cars seem based on old 80's/90's Toyotas. Also of which, Toyota is joint or part co-owned by GM, Mazda by Ford etc...

Last edited:
All can say is that I went to Detroit abut 10 years ago and it was pretty rough then, what it must be like now I can only hate to think. My heart goes out to the average Joe who wants to do a days work for a days pay. Life must be really really tough.

I can only say that this is happening all over America - not just Detroit. have you ever been to Camden, NJ? or Newark, NJ? or South Central? or how about that hot-bed of disappearing women, Cleveland, Ohio? Detroit will not be the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back