**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.... How about one of you Spitfire guru's checking on something for me. According to the plans for the Mk-1, the exhaust stacks were not exactly even, on both sides. The port stacks are just a bit more forward that the starboard stacks. My plans call for 1/8th of an inch difference. Was the Merlin a V engine or a block ? Were the exhaust stacks off-set ?

Charles

The Merlin was a 'V-12' Charles, and I don't know of the exhausts being offset. All the plans I have show them equal on both sides, which is logical. It's looking great with the markings on - really looking forward to seeing the completed job.

Repairs are completed. I just have to put five or six coats of 50/50 clear dope/thinner, on it to seal the pores in the tissue, then repaint the area.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2457.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_2458.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 61
Two forward one back I have a 1/24 were painting has been the issue on an insignia on one wing going to be the thrid go-round and I shelved it now for 6-8 months ATM!Otherwise it does look like the finish line is approaching Charles

I've never seen off-set exhaust on a spit.

My plans call for the port stacks to be 1/8th inch forward than the starboard. Can't understand why, if the Merlin is a V-12. Who am I to argue with these learned scholars who draw airplane plans ? I would hate for Terry to really go over these plans. I doubt that they are anywhere close to being accurate.

Charles

Great repair again Charles, but shows how fragile these balsa and tissue jobs are. I'll stick to plastic and resin for aircraft...

Fantastic work though, loving your progress here.

(btw, I've never heard of Merlin exhaust stacks being offset either. Not an expert on engines, but was a slight clearance needed for flywheel rotation or something?)

Users who are viewing this thread