**** DONE: 1/32 Bf 109F-4/Trop - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bit of an update here. Finally got at it a bit again today. I'll take some more, better photos tomorrow before I paint it entirely, but the lighting's bad so here's what I have for now.

E4A3588D-1AF1-40B4-8A3C-6006999B89FE_zpshyguoqcv.jpg

37C67822-1BC1-4523-8886-A787DA33E8AC_zpstrhcfljv.jpg

Today was the first time I've used the spray booth. Certainly does an adequate job, I just find the cleanup to be difficult inside, since I am not in a position to make as much of a mess. The whole setup seems more suited for smaller painting (ie cockpits, engines), and not so much for entire aircraft. It will get a test of the rest of the aircraft hopefully tomorrow. As you can see it's a decent size, and the 109 fits comfortably inside, but some of my other 1/32 kits will have issues, particularly the Corsair. It at least allows me to accomplish some painting in the winter, which will help kill the huge winter lull I run into every year. I might plan to do more 1/48 subjects for winter group builds.

BACD6030-F91B-46FE-8DF7-87EA7D8DCC02_zpsqjqf6l6s.jpg

You'll note there's some white on there, I've also completed the yellow on the bottom of the cowling. Decided not to preshade this one, and will attempt a wash with a Tamiya wash. I also modified the leading edge slats so be closed, as they come deployed with the kit, but I haven't seen a single photo of an aircraft on the ground with them deployed.

Paint booth is an interesting setup. I could see how it could be a bit limiting on bigger subjects but you have to do what you have to do!

Cory, you need to look closely at photos of parked 109s to see the slats deployed. These worked on air pressure acting on the leading edge and almost always were deployed on the ground.

Thanks Wayne!

Paint booth is an interesting setup. I could see how it could be a bit limiting on bigger subjects but you have to do what you have to do!

Yeah, like I said it'll be better for smaller sub-assemblies or aircraft. Tried to put an already built 1/32 Corsair in there after I posted, and there's about 2 cm clearance on either wingtip

Cory, you need to look closely at photos of parked 109s to see the slats deployed. These worked on air pressure acting on the leading edge and almost always were deployed on the ground.

Andy, I went through the book I have again this morning and you are of course correct. Thankfully for my apparently blind self, there are still a few photos of aircraft with them definitely not deployed, so I didn't blow it entirely. :oops:

Hey, Cory, I am catching up on the threads. I am sorry to hear about the health issues. But, it seems you are on the mend now. Hope you feel much very soon.

I'm on the catch up as well Cory and glad to know you are on the mend, must have been a bit scary for a while. Model is looking good and I like the little spray booth.

Thanks Vic! Wasn't too bad, I view a lot of this stuff more as a royal pain at this point than anything. I actually sprayed the blue yesterday and the booth worked perfectly, so it's turned out to be a nice little setup.

Ok. Basically over the course of the month I got it painted and now decalled. Still have the landing gear and wells to paint. Any tips for painting tires? I was hoping to have it done this weekend but things got in the way.

18087BB9-5734-4A12-BF74-F117492B634A_zpsrm0axgne.jpg

B3E700FF-2D2D-4CD6-B822-FEA704F061D0_zpsolgcmgbs.jpg

39C56D68-3FD5-44A6-9EE1-4E4439382BDE_zpshb0dubbz.jpg

58B13D1F-2069-4531-9BC1-27620B8042A5_zpsqsldmro7.jpg

DCFB37AA-C1A2-4A6A-B52C-6977F3E17A64_zpsxjafxb0n.jpg

The decals are now done, but I do not have photos of that yet.

Looking good Cory. As for the tyres, depending on the type of ground the aircraft would be standing on, I normally mix a very dark grey, with a touch of Dark Earth or brown, to give a 'rubber' look. The tread area, and the edges of the sidewalls, can then be dry-brushed to give the effect of mud, sand, concrete dust etc etc.
The desert sand tended to get ingrained into tyres, although the extent of this depended on the type and size of the tyre of course. This pic of my 1/32nd scale Beaufighter might give you some ideas, but bear in mind the size of the smooth-tread tyre on the Beau., compared to the narrow, cross-tread on the '109.

Attachments

• MTO Build 507.jpg
    MTO Build 507.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 103

Users who are viewing this thread

Back