**** DONE: 1/40 Grumman F-14 "Tomcat" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It has rained all day, and it's very humid, so I won't do any painting. Instead I tried to clean up my work area, and after supper I played with the missiles. My fingers just don't seem to be cut out for this minute work. Anyhow, I fought my way through two Sidewinders and a Phoenix missile. IMHO they are crappy, and I do not think I want them on my Tomcat. Opinions are always welcome....

Maybe the Sidewiders will look better painted. My spies tell me the main body is Light Ghost Gray with Dark Gray or Blue nose fins and nose. A color band denotes whether it's live (yellow) or practice (blue).

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2621.JPG
    DSC_2621.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_2622.JPG
    DSC_2622.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 77
  • sidewinder.jpg
    sidewinder.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
For a bit of a mess around on a rainy day I recon you did good Charles, as for ordinance or no it's a matter of personal taste and for most of my squadron flight line theme I've done as Terry mentioned, just added the pylons unless depicting the aircraft in a particular role that involved missiles being mounted.

Looking very good My Friend. And I agree with Vic on the matter of ordinance or no. All is up to you only.

Still raining and very humid... no painting again today. Tried a little of my 50/50 mix on some spare card stock, and it turned real cloudy, so that convinced me not to paint today. Made two more Sidewinders, their rails and got the canopy masked. The jury is still out on whether or not to hang the Sidewinders on the Tomcat.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2623.JPG
    DSC_2623.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 73
And to me too. It's obviously your choice Charles, But I think they would look good when painted. For a bit of variety, you could do the inert training round in overall blue, like this one.

Attachments

• Tornado pic missile.jpg
    Tornado pic missile.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 62
I think a modern war plane looks better with a couple of missiles hanging, but that's just me.

You're probably right, and I will hang four missiles on the Tomcat. Speaking of missiles, painted the Sidewinders. Light Ghost Gray body, white tail fins and blue nose and fins.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2630.JPG
    DSC_2630.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 67
Just finished installing the rocket rails. I must say, I don't like them. However, it would cause repairable damage to remove them. The needle nose is holding one at the proper angle. The Sidewinders are attached to the rails, one at the extreme outboard edge, the other to the short rail on the bottom.

Your comments should prove interesting...

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2631.JPG
    DSC_2631.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_2632.JPG
    DSC_2632.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back