**** DONE: 1/40 Grumman F-14 "Tomcat" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Was hoping to be able to throw some paint this week-end, but that's not going to happen. Still too much sanding and coating with the 50/50 dope mix to do. Did get the starboard rudder on, and later today hope to get the port stabilizer on. Just gotta wait for this stuff to dry real good. Here's where we are...

edit... Decided to paint the bird with the VF-103 colours, Medium Gray, Light Ghost Gray and Dark Ghost gray. Picked up the paint, today, at the LHS.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2610.JPG
    DSC_2610.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_2611.JPG
    DSC_2611.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_2612.JPG
    DSC_2612.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
O.k. It's been a long time since I built one of these, Didn't they used to have doping that was "paint" also?

Yes, Paul. You can buy "Aero Gloss" paints in a variety of colors, but Aero Gloss does not produce USAF, USN, German, Japanese, etc, colors. They just have red, green, yellow, black, clear, sanding sealer, etc. Their paints are actually "dope", and usually "hot fuel proof". Model Master, Humbrol and others make realistic paints for the models that most of the model builders here build.

Here's where we are at the close of the modelling day. All the major components are attached. I still have to attach the radome, the gun pod and external ordinance, plus the canopy which will be last.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2614.JPG
    DSC_2614.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_2615.JPG
    DSC_2615.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_2616.JPG
    DSC_2616.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 56
That little episode of dropsy onto the cardboard boxes certainly shows how fragile this form of building is. Nice recovery though Charles and what a grand looking machine she is becoming.

Thanks guys, appreciate the nice words. From here on it's doping with the 50/50 mix and lots of sanding in between. Still have a couple of parts to add, but that's the easy part.

Charles

Nicely done so far Charles!

Good to see the repair job went so well you don't notice it.

After the paint is on, you won't know it was broke, Hugh.

Spent most of the day sanding and doping (the airplane). Managed to add the wing fins, the radome and the gun port. More doping tomorrow.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2617.JPG
    DSC_2617.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_2618.JPG
    DSC_2618.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Was looking at the plans, this morning on how they make up the ordinance. The plans call for eight Sidewinder rockets, scattered all over the underside of the aircraft, plus four Phoenix missiles, and a drop tank. Too much junk, cluttering up the aircraft, me thinks.

I see lots of jets flying overhead from NAS Oceana, and they never carry ordinance, and you hardly ever see a drop tank. The aircraft are clean, and I think I like it better that way. Which means...... I am almost ready to paint the Tomcat ! It's had three coats of the 50/50 mix, and will get at least one more today. I want five coats on it before I paint. I'll have to dig out the canopy, today and mask it off. Question: do I put the rocket hardpoints on ? Are they part of the aircraft ?

Comments about the ordinance are welcome....

Charles

Last edited:
Not sure about the Tomcat Charles, but most military aircraft fly with the pylons in place, albeit empty. Some types, however, have maybe two or four main pylons, with perhaps additional hard points which are used as needed, and would normally be removed if not in use. Missiles and other 'under belly' ordnance are often carried in semi-recessed hard points, with stores under wings on pylon rails, such as on the Tornado for example. That particular aircraft will retain in the inboard under wing pylons, but have the outboard pylons removed if not in use.
No doubt 'someone who knows' about the Tomcat will provide a more sensible answer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back