**** DONE: 1/48 Beaufighter Mk.VI - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree, though I've never been fan of Tamiya's seatbelt decals.

Thanks and I agree about the belt decals but they are better than nothing I suppose and as an OOB it is all I have to work with unless I decide to paint the pilot figure and Radar guy for the back seat.

Cheers,

Jeff

Just a quick update today. Finished installing the back seater's instrument panel, the rear underside hatch and the grey coloured tubing from front cockpit to rear seater. What is this rather large tube/pipe for?

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Nice work Jeff. That grey tubing (actually an 'off white' on the real aircraft) was the heater ducting for the poor old Nav/operator in the back, and I think it was actually asbestos - no Health and Safety inspectors around in those days !!
If your kite is radar equipped, then the actual radar (or A.I. to be correct for the period) monitor was located aft of the Nav's seat, with the screens, buried under a rubber shroud, facing forward, which meant the operator had to swivel his seat to face aft to use the set.
Here's a couple of diagrams and pics from my 1/32nd scale scratch-built effort for the MTO GB a few years back, which may help.
The object on top of the radar monitor is a pair of infra-red binoculars.

Attachments

• MTO Build 018.jpg
    MTO Build 018.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 96
  • MTO Build 019.jpg
    MTO Build 019.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 84
  • MTO Build 253.jpg
    MTO Build 253.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 78
Steady progress has been made today. This model has most of the major assemblies completed first in the building phase. Lots of the smaller sub-assemblies are to come.

The tail has been joined to the fuselage.

IMG_0003.JPG

The rear access hatch has been set into the fuselage and is "operational."

IMG_0004.JPG

The hole for the radar antenna have been drilled out in the leading edge and the wing assembly has been completed.

IMG_0005.JPG

Underside of the wing.

IMG_0007.JPG

There was a gap so it had to be filled.

IMG_0008.JPG

In order to get an idea of the overall size the fuselage has been dry fit to the wing assembly.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

Looks like a bit more putty may be required but we will find out for sure when I glue these pieces together.

I need to do a bit of filling under the nose end of the fuselage and a bit of sanding to take away a couple of rough spots but overall I am pleased with the way the kit has come together.

I have had this it in my stash for about 18 months and when I first got it it looked daunting but with the experience gained in previous builds I like the challenge and look forward to it.

I have removed the elevator actuator rods/housing from the top side of the tailplane and will attempt to scratch build the rods for installation on the bottom side of same.

Cheers,

Jeff

The landing gear/undercarriage has been completed and has been dry fit to the engine nacelles. What a great fit, solid as a rock.
The wing has been dry fit to the fuselage to have her "stand" on her own legs. Lots of work to do still, sanding, filling etc but she is really starting to take shape.

The gear will come off and will not be reattached until after painting is completed.

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

Tossed the Mossie in to give a size comparison.

IMG_0019.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Props are done and canopies have been masked off. I love the way the lower edges of the canopy come down over the lip of the fuselage. Makes for a much better fit and look than if it rested along the top rail of the fuselage. ( IMHO )

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back