**** DONE: 1/48 BF109F-2 "Hermännchen" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I love it when models are at this stage: a palette upon which to ply your art; expectant canvas.

Resisting the urge to rush this. Sprayed on some pre-mixed RLM75 yesterday but need paint for the 74. Pics tonight maybe.

I have not planned on yellow wing tips on the uppers unless some Experten tell me otherwise.

This is looking very nice, Andy. Great save on the cockpit. I love on Colgate can make that job so much easier. I even polished an entire motorcycle frame years ago with tooth paste! Damn thing came out great until the aluminum oxidized on me.

Thanks very much guys.

Well today started on a downer and ended on a higher note. Last night I sprayed the basic 74/75 camo but I walked away not liking the look. I had not yet mixed RLM 74 from Tamiya paints yet and tried 3 recipes before I ended up with a colour that looked right to me. However, when I sprayed it next to the 75 I had made for my Dieterle 109 build, in which the 75 was just sprayed in a wave pattern over 76, I ended up not liking the combination. The 75 looked too violet-ish and a bit dark. Also I was pressed for time (never good) and because I used my fine tipped Iwata, I was left with a very unfinished look in addition to an unsatisfactory colour. I decided to sleep on it and see how I felt about it today.

14092201.jpg

The hangover was still there this morning so I decided to add another coat of 74 on and lighten the 75 a bit. Both were applied with my bull-in-a-china-shop Paasche VL freehand. I was not that concerned with the demarcations as much of the underlying camo would be obliterated by the modified green scheme. Here's how it looked after that was done. Comments on the colours guys - please! - as I want to settle on a mix recipe for all future builds.

14092202.jpg

As soon as that was done, I launched into applying the 02 and 70 colours over top which went pretty good. Below is the result so far.

14092203.jpg

14092204.jpg

This is not done yet as there still needs to be some RLM 79 Sandgelb and then, no doubt, some tweaking to unify the pattern. I can see alreday that some more 02 will probably be needed as well.

Again, constructive comments on the 74/75 please as I'm still not 100% OK with it. Thanks again all.

It looks good to me Andy. Impossible to do now but... based on how the green mottling disrupts the original finish, I would maybe try to get more contrast between the 74 and 75 next time?

Yeah thanks John and everyone else who commented. I did lighten the 75 a tad between pic 1 and 2. The difference would more once a clear coat goes on as the colours are very flat and tend to darken a bit. Also, the photo turned out a lot lighter than what it really looks like. At this stage I won't fix it but I do need to get this right for future builds.

The mix I used for the 75 in the first pic was this: 3:XF-2 + 4:XF-24 + 2:XF-9. The XF-9 is "Hull Red" to add the violet tone and the XF-2 is white. I think the ratio will be tweaked to be more like 4/4/1 for the next one. I think the 74 turned out OK but will listen to any other opinions yet to come.

I like the color mix you have. Andy. Maybe a tad lighter for contrast. Lovely work with the iWata. Which one are you using? I tried a Neo and just did not like it compared to my Paasches.

Squirted on the 79 and decided to gloss it. It's easy to overdo this scheme and I may yet go over again with a few spots of 70 and 02 before I'm done. And yes, the port rad flap broke off but no big deal.

14092301.jpg
14092302.jpg
14092303.jpg
14092304.jpg

Like your respray of 75 and the 74 looks ok too Andy, and definitely NO yellow upper wingtips this was not common to JG54 109's....JG5 however was a different story!

green squiggles not bad look forward to the next colour bending with the Green!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back