**** DONE: 1/48 BF109F-2 "Hermännchen" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

EDIT: Looking back on the pics that port nav light is a bit of a shambles ain't it. Will need to touch that up.

The model looks great Andy. Smashing .... :cool:

As the nav lamps are concerned .. I think you need to attach their clear covering.

Bf-109F-Marseille1.jpg

Wurger, I came to the same conclusion. It sure seems as if the lense is missing?

Andy, simply breath taking air brush work. I have learned so much from watching your work and I am working hard to utilize my new found skills. Am I 100% happy yet? No, but I feel I have improved significantly the last year or so I have been here watching you and the other masters work those amazing finishes out.

I really like the way the light brown toned everything down it really set things off with a blended appearance. :thumbright:

Thanks a lot guys.

Well, Wojtek, I've been looking for a reference like that and that's the first I've seen of a nav light detail. Thanks so much! Now, what happened was that the Zvezda kit provides two styles of wing tips. The other looks like this, comes with clear lenses, and looks like the pic you've posted:

IMG_7673.JPG

The thing is, the instructions say not to use it but to use the one I posted above and the clear lens is shown as not applicable for this kit. There's no matching lens for the one I put on so I figured that it was a different detail. Another point is that I`m building a 109F-2 but am using the F-4 kit, so maybe I should have gone with the other lens. So is the pic above an F-2 and did the F-4 have a different nav light?

Last edited:
Andy,

I went through a couple of references for the Bf 109F and almost all these show the kind of nav lamps I posted above. Additionally, I checked on pictures and here below what I found. The fist diagram shows the kind of nav lights without the clear cover. I have found this in the HT Model Special vol.914. Also I found a couple of pictures of Bf 109F-2 with a such nav lamp at the wing tip. But looking at them I would say Zvezda overdid a little bit with the shape of the concave space for the light. However , the Kagero Topdrawings no.9 that includes decal markings for the Black 12, has a profile for the kite too and the nav lights are of the type with the glass cover though.

nav light Bf 109F.jpg

bf109f2_170.jpg

bf109f2_049.jpg

Bf-109F JG54 Yellow 9.jpg

Bf 109F-2 BringmanRed2.jpg

Bf 109F produkcja.jpg

Damn, Wurger! You must have a reference library to die for! Great information there. Can you dig up a reference for an X-Wing fighter flown by that midget, cross dressing pilot from the planet Demonia? :p

Wojtek, thanks for digging deeper. Excellent reference pics. The above shows the type that Black 12 as I was able to confirm by a side on picture that Wayne sent me so the Kagero reference is wrong. I will stay with what I have as I don't think Zvezda was far off at all.

Thanks guys. Didn't touch it this weekend after all.....

I think I will replace the pitot as it's too thick.

Thanks guys. Didn't touch it this weekend after all.....

I think I will replace the pitot as it's too thick.

Hey, Andy,
If you do not have the needed tubing for the pitot tube, check something by Model Master. My gun barrels were a set that included the pitot tube. Damned nice looking and it lined up very well in size I believe, with the caveat that I have not installed yet. I have compared it to the molded in tube and it sure seemed to be sized very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back