**** DONE: 1/48 BF109F-2 "Hermännchen" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone. Despite all that attention to the dihedral, it did turn out slightly flatter that my scale drawing but it's not too noticeable.

Just catching up on this thread. Very nice work, Andy. I like the attention you pay to the dihedral. The clamp/pencil idea is a good one. I will try that with my G-6.

Painted it yet?

How about now?

How about now?

Now?

Yeah - I've been keeping an eye on the weather. You poor Calgarians. It's only September, for crying out loud!

Better build something with desert camo. Or maybe something from the Pacific Theatre. Got a fireplace? You could make that tree pay for falling in your yard.

Sorry. Quite off topic now.

The whole tree thing is very sad. Our ash tree was a beautiful shade source together with our neighbour's elm. Now that ours is gone, we saw a lot of damage on the elm as well and I helped cut 2 branches down. That tree may be toast as well.

Sorry to read that. Losing trees in your yard when you live in the city is tragic. I'm a country mouse and we sometimes take them for granted.

I can relate to this tree loss thing, we had three quite large ones in the front yard and all have had to come down or have fallen over the last few years from the effects of drought, the only upside now is that I can see the sunset better.

To get back on subject, I managed a few snippets of time during the week and ended up getting the wingy-flappy things on. Close inspection of the parts in this kit would be a good idea as I found that the flaps were quite heavily pitted, like the molds had some dirt in them when they injected the styrene. These were covered with heavy dabs of Tamiya primer and then sanded down. The only things still missing are the inlet flaps on the radiators.

14091001.jpg
14091401.jpg
14091402.jpg
14091403.jpg

So here's a question for Wayne or someone else who may know. I have two profiles of this aircraft and one shows a completely white spinner whereas the other shows half white/half RLM70. I have no photo evidence of the latter scheme and am looking for pics of other aircraft of 2/JG54 to see if I can find evidence of one or the other. Anyone know for sure which is correct?

you know what Andy, i have a suspicion the spinner might be 2/3 Black green and 1/3 white, the white showing in the primary photo I sent you due to position of spinner on this and the aircraft in the back ground, even the 109 in the far right background shows what appears to be blackgreen for the most part, a lot of 109F's had the 2/3 70 and 1/3 white colouring on the spinner.

I looked at that pic too Wayne and my take away was this:

The two aircraft in the foreground both show nothing but white (apart from the shaded area which could be either/or). Of course it's possible that both props stopped exactly in the same stroke to show only the white 1/3 but I felt that at least one of them should have had a little bit of dark showing.

The middle aircraft doesn't seem to have a black number - maybe yellow so different staffel?

The farthest aircraft has a dark spinner but also appears to have a white rudder so again a different staffel or even JG?

Re other references, I have two pics of Tegtmeier's Black 8, both from the rear but there is a winter camo pic where he has 24 victory bars and another 109 in the background that definitely sports the 1/3 white spinner as you suggest.

Reinhrad Hein's crashed 109 has the white/dark green demarcation (pic below)

Bf-109F-2.JG54-(B1+)-Reinhardt-Hein-shot-down-Russia-Aug-6-1941-01.jpg

And as I look at more pics, I definitely see other 109s of 2/JG54 with the 1/3 white so I think it's settled then! Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back