**** DONE: 1/48 BF109F-2 "Hermännchen" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice surgery to make the cowlings fit! I imagine it is difficult to saw off parts of the engine without breaking things inadvertently, especially the mounting, which looks a bit delicate.

Thanks all.

Nice surgery to make the cowlings fit! I imagine it is difficult to saw off parts of the engine without breaking things inadvertently, especially the mounting, which looks a bit delicate.

John, it was not too bad. I just had to be careful to handle the more solid parts. Below are two pics showing progress on finishing the starboard engine cowl. When we left off last, the forward seam had not been glued. It's now been clamped, glued, filed, primed, and sanded to an initial finish that will be checked for blemishes, sanded again, scribed and then the little air scoop will be added to the little recess you see which, by the way, is not addressed in the instructions. I hope I find the part!

14082501.jpg
14082502.jpg

Hey, Andy,
After watching this build to date, I decided to check into a Zvezda kit. Holy cow, I found one on eBay for less than $20 to my front door! Needless to say, I grabbed it.

Cheers Simon. Stuck in that dull limbo - sanding, priming scribing...rinse and repeat. Pics when the cowl is done.

I really like your building style. Square, clean parts matching and crisp finishing. Remember Bob Steinbrunn? He did a few articles for FSM many years ago. I thought his work was exemplary, and yours reminds me of his. Are you finding the Zvezda kit over-engineered?

I don't know Bob but thanks for the compliment (I think!). So far, the Zvzeda kit has impressed but over-engineered? Some examples do come to mind - the fully detailed spinner backplate with all those nice lightening holes that will ever be seen, the removable underwing panel that reveals.......NOTHING! I think they designed this kit for anyone wanting to replicate a 109 being fully serviced in a diorama. Most everything you need is there though I did find more engine details in the ICM 109's than the Zvezda.

Did yet another prime coat on the cowl last night and was not 100% happy with the scribing so another cycle to go.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back