**** DONE: 1/48 BF109F-2 "Hermännchen" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow... the seat matches Geo's picture! Cockpit looks great! Andy... what do you use to scribe panel lines? That's something that I need to learn.

John, I've settled on using these which I bought on-line:

TP-4.jpg

For a straight edge, I use Dyna tape which can be found at Michael's arts and crafts. It's a stiff plastic tape that maintains a strong edge. Watch this thread over the weekend and I'll make a point of showing the process in detail when I scribe the tail joint.

Thanks all. Per John's request, I'll show the process I use to scribe my panel lines. The first step was to sand the tail joint to ensure everything is properly aligned. There is still a faint joint line visible but this cam in handy for scribing the line.

14081001.jpg

I use Dymo tape for a straight edge. This stuff is good in that it sticks well to the model, is very flexible and yet is stiff enough to provide a good edge for the scribing tool.

14081002.jpg

I then cut a strip of tape and line it up on the model. It's important to remember that, when placing the tape on a curved, tapered surface, the edge on the line to be scribed should be on the "uphill" side of the taper, otherwise you'll never get the tape to form a straight line.

14081003.jpg

This is my scriber. I've found t necessary to epoxy glue some coffee sticks to these to provide a decent handle.

14081004.jpg

A few passes of the tool does the job. The tape is removed and the line cleaned out with an old tooth brush. What I like about these saws is that they actually remove material whereas a scalpel or xacto blade just kinda move the plastic around and form a bump.

14081005.jpg

In the meantime, I finished off the right side of the cockpit and glued the floor to it. I added an oxygen hose made of guitar string.

14081006.jpg

That's it for today. Thanks for looking in.

Thanks for providing a pictorial guide. That tool is very interesting and quite the opposite of what I envisioned would be used to make panel lines. May I ask what it is? It almost looks like a kitchen knife but is undoubtedly a more specialized tool. And I assume that you have different tool(s) if you need to scribe on concave pieces or hard to reach places? The results are very nice!

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for providing a pictorial guide. That tool is very interesting and quite the opposite of what I envisioned would be used to make panel lines. May I ask what it is? It almost looks like a kitchen knife but is undoubtedly a more specialized tool. And I assume that you have different tool(s) if you need to scribe on concave pieces or hard to reach places? The results are very nice!

John, I answered your question already - see post #45.

Just popped in after some time away and am impressed with your choice and progress Andy, going to be a nice paint job me thinks and thanks for the scribing hints, it's the same blade that I use. Nice to have it confirmed.

Last edited:
They are indeed.

Michael, no reason the straight one won't work. I've just found the curved one a bit easier to control. On a flat surface, the straight one will have more contact area and needs to be tracked correctly but on a curved surface there should be no difference.

Thanks Chris

Updates continue after some work this morning. The 109's tiny instrument panel was completed by scrounging for some instrument decals from old kits. Each was cut individually and placed on the molded bezels then dabbed in Future. I'm sure that most won't realize this 109 has instruments from a Corsair and P-40.

14081502.jpg

The sparse port side of the cockpit was completed by adding a strut from the throttle box down to the adjacent rib, a throttle linkage, a PE tail wheel lock, and a PE mixture control lever to the throttle box.

14081503.jpg

Wiring of the engine has started with the addition of the ignition harness and plug wires, all made from solder and lead wire. I've decided that only the port cowl will be shown open so I have only half the detail work to worry about!

14081504.jpg

14081506.jpg

With the cockpit and main engine assembly done, I set about gluing the fuselage halves together.

14081505.jpg

The wing uppers were also glued to the lower halves making for a nice view of the wheel well details. Bravo Zvezda!

14081507.jpg

Lots more to come on the engine and that will be next. Thanks for following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back