**** DONE: 1/48 BF109F-2 "Hermännchen" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Mike. The exhaust stubs are in fact a dark steel and the block is black. The lighting does not distinguish between the two very well.

It looks like a colorized B&W photo(I think) so I don't know how accurate it is. Most of the other photos I have usually have a black-mans big fat head in the way. Caption says it an F-4...

andy.JPG

...I'll keep looking.

Geo

Thanks George. I've seen that pic before but unfortunately doesn't show the boxes. This one is the best I have that seem to show them in aluminum.

2507637330036857008S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow, the engine looks really good! I would vote for hollowing out the exhaust stacks being a personal stickler for that myself but how would you go about hollowing out square tubes?

With a square drill of course.

Kidding aside, this would be a major pain. Start with around drill and square the holes with a sharp blade - x12.

Question: when did the seat style change on the 109 from the full seat used on the E model to the bucket type with the back rest being effectively the rear bulkhead as on the G? Zvezda provides both but implies that the E-type seat should be used when not using the pilot figure.

Andy, this is from Brett Green's review on your kit. "The cockpit is generously equipped with separate parts for the throttle quadrant, switch and instrument panels, map case, fuel line, rudder and mount, and more. The seat is the pan style seen in most Bf 109 F, G and K variants. Some very early Bf 109 F-2s may have been fitted with the Bf 109 E-style full seat though, so check your references carefully."

Geo

Yeah, saw that. Problem is, most reference photos don't come anywhere close to showing the seat.

I built the pit using the early E-type (not Jaguar) seat but I have a mind to rip it out and replace it with the bucket. It just looks wrong.

Just picked this same kit up Andy. Not sure I'll be using if for this GB though. Still working on the Goose so I'll watch yours a wile before deciding. Looking real nice so far. Can't wait to see you tackle that camo.

Andy,

Nice stuff so far. I have been wanting to build an F-2, F-4 as well and might join in with a GB build as well.

I would definitely go with the late seat which Geo shows above. Most of the references I have show this seat.

When you say ammo boxes are you referring to the box the belts sit in or the feeder boxes fitted to the MG's?

Last edited:
Thanks Glenn. So far I'm very impressed with this kit and it's living up to its hype. I've been picking away at various assemblies and post where I'm at below.

First off, here's the cockpit tub assembly as it stood as of an hour ago. As in this case, I sometimes find myself caught up in the excitement of a build only to question whether or not I'm doing the right thing after I've gone ahead and done it. In this case, I followed the instructions as I interpreted them and, because I chose not to display the pilot figure (which is a bit of a shame because it's actually pretty good) I went with the E-style seat as instructed, not thinking that maybe the tub seat, which the instructions say to use with the pilot figure, was more appropriate. From what I've read, I guess technically the full seat is not wrong, since it's reported that some early model F's carried them, however it's more likely that the tub style would have been used.

14080601.jpg

At any rate, the seat has now been chopped off and relegated to the spares box as has the rear bulkhead. The rear bulkhead is now replaced with this jobbie:

14080609.jpg

..and the seat will be this guy. Note the cavernous ejector pin mark that is too large to be ignored.

14080604.jpg

We continue now with the starboard wall of the pit with all the nicely molded fiddly bits added. This is the start of the paint work here, with more details yet to be picked out. The only change I've made here was to cut out the solid plastic portion of the fuel line and replace it with a piece of clear sprue to more accurately reflect the sight glass in the real thing. I always get a kick out of thinking of these guys flying in combat with the fuel line squashed against their right shoulder.

14080602.jpg

The more sparse port side only gets a decent throttle. I'll need to add a few bits here.

14080603.jpg

Now the wheel well details are magnificent. Here, the walls and fairings for the struts have been added and painted with an initial splash of RLM 02. The openings outboard of the wheels come with beautifully molded ribs for the wings, which is a waste for me as these will be closed off. I've not installed all the ribbing here

14080605.jpg

14080606.jpg

For an added touch of realism, the kit comes with the hydraulic jacks for retracting the landing gear and these are glued to the inside of the upper wing halves. I neglected to add these and paint this area in 02 before realizing these parts were to be installed but I'll rectify this soon. Once the wings are assembled, you'll actually be able to see these jacks through the lightening holes in the strut fairings. What a neat touch!

14080608.jpg

Finally, I glued on the optional F-2 tail sections with the stiffening strips to the fuselage. The instrucitons would have you do this once the halves are together but, as with the Hasegawa P-40 with a similar detail, I chose to glue the piece to each half first to ensure a better fit.

14080607.jpg

As you can see, the fit is excellent and I'll just need to do some minor clean-up sanding here and rescribe of the panel line.

So that's where we stand at the moment. Thanks for watching!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back