**** DONE: 1/48 Curtis P-36C Hawk – From WW1 to WW2 GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To paraphrase something from a Seinfeld episode..."My seat is gone, my seat is gone." I vaguely remember moving it into a secure place where it wouldn't get bumped around and lost. I'll keep looking but in the meantime I've ordered some resin seats with belts from Ultracast and should be here within a fortnight. I think I recall reading that the early P-40 seats were the same as the P-36. I hope so because these seats look way cool. The decals are on(all 4 of them). The silver around them represents the bare metal that was left after the temporary paint was applied. I added some antenna wire using 2lb fly-fishing tippet line. As you can see in the photo, just as the crazy glue set, I snagged a line and pulled some slack into it. I heated up the handle of one of my files and it pulled it a little tighter but not quite there.

004.JPG
seats.JPG

Geo

Good stuff Geo. I never got that hot metal trick to work for me and my P-40 as saggy antenna wires to this day, waiting for a future fix that may never come.

Thanks Igor and Andy. I passed the hot file handle under the antenna again, closer this time and it got a little tighter. This is going to be as good as it gets as this is quite nerve wracking and i feel if I get any closer the fishing line will melt through. As per Stona's advice in another forum, I painted the antenna flat silver. I also noticed more touch ups are needed.

005.JPG

Geo

Thanks Dr. Gnomey and I may have to purchase on of the soldering iron things, Paul. Sad when you're looking for reference material on-line and your thread is part of the reference material...pretty disconcerting.

me4.JPG

Anyhoo, I'm as far as I can go until the seats arrive from Ultracast so no updates until next Thorsday unless I step on the missing seat by Tuesday night.

Geo

That's coming on nicely Geo, amazing paint work and know what you mean about finding your own work when looking for info. You find something, get all excited that you have and then realize it's your own work.

Thank you Evan and le steph. My seats are in, my seats are in. This is my first foray into the wonderful world of resin.(Actually second but the part launched into sub-orbit, never to be seen again) Very impressed with Ultracast. Just waiting for the part to dry, do some clean-up and then add the paint. Is it necessary to add primer as I really don't want to add too much paint and lose all the detail.

007.JPG

Geo

Fantastic looking seat George, I should have bought one instead of messing around modifying the kit one. I usually don't use primer and a part like that won't be touched once its installed so there's little chance of the paint rubbing off. Just make sure you clean it off good before painting. I use dish soap water and a soft tooth brush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back