**** DONE: 1/48 Curtis P-36C Hawk – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Whoa...Charles is right. This group build is like an abandoned warehouse(That's ware..) over the holidays. Time to start back up again. The first coat of camo on the bottom is done. The problem is, the decal sheet is wrong. It shows the starboard wing tip as a light color and the photos show a dark color so I'm kinda winging it here.

001.JPG

Geo

Happy New Year all. The bottom camo is finished with inevitable touch ups to come. The white specks are from me grinding away at the landing gear parts.

001.JPG

Speaking of landing gear. Six parts(seven with my added break line to become all but invisible) and Hobbycraft's less than stellar instructions..."Here's your parts and you're done". I remembered Glenn built one in a GB so I went back to see how he dealt with it....SPATS. Half a night later and many trips away to cool down, the right side is done. I may get the other side done by dawn as I've kinda figured out a sequence.

002.JPG

Geo

Good job, slow and steady wins the race :D :) I'm not going to repeat it, but ya, Hobbycraft and I don't get along :D

What a great camo and love this plane. P-36/Hawk 75s I always thought were pretty cool. Doing a great job so far George!

Thanks for the remarks gentlemen. As I was getting ready to gloss coat for the decals, three things came to light. #1: Two antennae run from the tail to the wings. B: I opened the holes for the outboard guns instead of the inboard ones. Third: I painted underneath the rear quarter(?) windows in the camo colors. The photo of the starboard side of the aircraft shows that the very rear part of the cutout was not painted in the camo color. Not sure what color this is. The cockpit interior was left in aluminum if the aircraft, such as this one, were not camouflaged but that doesn't look aluminum to me. In the walkaround section on the ARC site, there are photos of an aircraft from the same squadron and the cutouts were painted in one of the camo colors. On the port side photos I posted, one shows the camo colors covering the back of the cutout but glare is obscuring the front part of the cutout. The second photo show a color similar to that starboard shot but seems to go farther back into the cutout than the first port side shot.(if that makes any sense. I spent many minutes trying to word that last sentence). Any thoughts?

Geo

O.k., it took some searching and from the picts I found it seems that some were painted and some had the NMF. So, again, anything you choose will be right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back