**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss Hawk 75A-2 - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Made a little progress today, a lot of scraping and fitting to not only make sure the resin parts go together well, but also fits into the cockpit area.

20131110-1a.jpg

Also put the resin engine parts together and sorted out some cam rods and HT leads, next step is a coat of paint and some detailing.

20131110-1b.jpg

Thanks for looking in and the kind words gents.

I spent time yesterday fiddling with the cockpit walls, just adding a bit of small detail before painting, not much to see so no pics on that score, but I also spent time sorting the cockpit floor and seat which are now just waiting for me to get the spray brush into action.

20131112-1h.jpg

20131112-1i.jpg

As for today, I've spent a good deal of the time in sugary, hacking bits off and either adding the resin and PE detail getting ready to do so.

The two wing gun muzzle ports and cartridge ejection slits, all of which had to be opened.

20131112-1a.jpg

20131112-1b.jpg

The engine vents at the back of the cowling needed removing ready for the PE and in this case there were some extra panel lines that needed to be filled. Also the two gun muzzle ports had to be added and drilled ready for a bit of the muzzle to show.

20131112-1c.jpg

I also decided to use the better detailed resin rudder and tail ailerons and have removed one of the small wheel bay's in favour of the PE part. The other will be sorted tomorrow.

20131112-1d.jpg

20131112-1e.jpg

20131112-1f.jpg

20131112-1g.jpg

If the weather is good, I'll have a go at spraying tomorrow, fingers crossed it will be a fine day as we have been almost flooded out these last two days with some very heavy falls.

Very nice work there Vic. I compiled quite a few reference photos when I did my Hawk 75 for the first Foreign Service GB. Some stuff you might find useful for the exterior detail, especially the underside fuselage under the wing which is totally wrong on that kit. Give me a yell and I'll email it to you.

Well done so far Pal. However judging by these stiffeners at the bay roof I got an impression you glued the PE wheel bay either conversely or it should have been attached to the starboard wing.

Thanks gentlemen, as always your comments are much appreciated.

Very nice work there Vic. I compiled quite a few reference photos when I did my Hawk 75 for the first Foreign Service GB. Some stuff you might find useful for the exterior detail, especially the underside fuselage under the wing which is totally wrong on that kit. Give me a yell and I'll email it to you.

Many thanks for the offer Glenn, any help would be great and to that effect I've just sent you an email.

Well done so far Pal. However judging by these stiffeners at the bay roof I got an impression you glued the PE wheel bay either conversely or it should have been attached to the starboard wing.

I've had a double check of the instructions Wojtek and think all is well, see the instructions below. I also did an over wing fit before gluing and that works okay.

20131113-1a.jpg

I was under the impression that there was a canvas interior "bag" in the wheel well.

That is a distinct possibility Paul as I have seen this on some of the photographs but these tended to be the P-36 rather than the exported H-75A to France. The kit certainly moulds a canvas back cover but I'm working from an H-75A conversion kit which tells a different story as well as an H-75A which admittedly is refurbished but I think also a good example of the original (I hope!!!!).

P-36 5-1-5.jpg

P-36 5-1-7.jpg

Last edited:
I was under the impression that there was a canvas interior "bag" in the wheel well.

Hey Paul you old tosser (a form of endearment……..really), I think you could well be right as other pics I'm just looking at point to there being a canvas type wheel bay……………………..Damn, Blast and Bu@@er…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………Looks like I may have to do a bit of fiddling to rectify as I have now removed them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back