**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss Hawk 75A-2 - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks a bunch guys. Next big hurdle is getting it to fit, a bit like a square peg in a round hole. I've thinned the cowling walls down some but will still have to file the top of about three pistons a touch.

Still a ways off Vic, but I thought I'd mention it before you got there. The Hobbycraft P-36 windscreen (and for that matter the early P-40) is molded with braces making for a 3 pane windscreen. This is incorrect for the P-36 and model of Hawk you're building as well as the early P-40's like the one I have in this GB. The wind screen was one piece of curved Plexiglas and there were brace rods inside the Plexiglas that went from the last fuselage frame before the cockpit opening to a horizontal bar at the top of the windscreen. These bars are many times mistaken for the separation between panes. I found that my not painting the lines on the plastic part it gives a good impression of the bars behind the glass

Attachments

• Hawk%2075%20Cockpit%2005.jpg
    Hawk%2075%20Cockpit%2005.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Hawk%2075%20Cockpit%2009.jpg
    Hawk%2075%20Cockpit%2009.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 138
Still a ways off Vic, but I thought I'd mention it before you got there. The Hobbycraft P-36 windscreen (and for that matter the early P-40) is molded with braces making for a 3 pane windscreen. This is incorrect for the P-36 and model of Hawk you're building as well as the early P-40's like the one I have in this GB. The wind screen was one piece of curved Plexiglas and there were brace rods inside the Plexiglas that went from the last fuselage frame before the cockpit opening to a horizontal bar at the top of the windscreen. These bars are many times mistaken for the separation between panes. I found that my not painting the lines on the plastic part it gives a good impression of the bars behind the glass

Thanks for this Glenn, you just had me scuttling upstairs to the hanger to check out the windscreen and the model provided two options, one of which will fit the bill just nicely, I may even have a go at fitting in the bit if rod and most certainly will do the upper brace.

As for current progress, worked some on the cockpit today, side walls are all but finished, the main colour is actually cockpit green.

20131118-1b.jpg

20131118-1c.jpg

Also put together the main wing flaps, I'll give them an undercoat spray in a couple of days and the when fitted colour them in aluminium.

20131118-1a.jpg

No pics yet but have also started on sprucing up the cockpit seat, armour plating and the engine detail. Should have something on that in a couple of days. Have to devote tomorrow to the better half and my dentist.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's beautiful

the twelve cartridges flare 1"cal. was on the left, 4 red, 4 green and 4 white. The colors was painted on the top of cartridges.
On the french H75 the throttle was push ahead when it is idle or cut off, and rear when full open

cock08.jpg

Thanks for looking in guys

It's beautiful

the twelve cartridges flare 1"cal. was on the left, 4 red, 4 green and 4 white. The colors was painted on the top of cartridges.
On the french H75 the throttle was push ahead when it is idle or cut off, and rear when full open

I did read somewhere waroff, that when the French assembled the aircraft following delivery, there were some changes made to the positioning of controls in the cockpit, but the only specific thing mentioned was the calibration of instrument to the metric system. On your model it would seem that you have the throttle controls on the starboard side where as mine are shown on the port, I'm now assuming this would have been one of the changes. As for the flare cartridges, thanks for showing, I will sort something out for these in the next couple of days.

Hello Vic
Hello Al,
when I shot the pic, the throttle was not installed. On my model, the throttle is US version I have not changed it ;)

French Curtiss:
G for gaz (admission pressure), ouvert(open) when rear
E for essence (mixture) off when rear
throttle.jpg

Hello Vic
Hello Al,
when I shot the pic, the throttle was not installed. On my model, the throttle is US version I have not changed it ;)

French Curtiss:
G for gaz (admission pressure), ouvert(open) when rear
E for essence (mixture) off when rear

I think I need to get this right waroff. If I have the throttle leaver (the one at the back closest to the cockpit wall) pushed forward (towards the nose), and the other mixture leaver pulled back (towards the tail) in the 'off' position, then that would be right for the aircraft sitting idle.

You have been such great help my friend, it would nice to know your name, drop me a PM if you wish.

So did you get drilled? And then went to see the dentist?

Lovely work you're doing on this one as usual.

Thanks Andy. From a master like yourself, it is truly appreciated.

As for drilling, SWMBO, changed plans and it's been a morning of rush to get things done, shopping and such and unlike Wayne I do not have a workshop in the car, but have to push the trolley around and pack the goods. I've now been drilled and capped, yet again, next dental visit in Dec hopefully will see me with the new tooth and a hell of a lot lighter on the bank balance.

Major plan change this morning which has left me this arvo which has given me time at the workbench.

Today's efforts have upgraded the cockpit walls to include the vary pistol cartridges and hopefully place the throttle and mixture leavers in the right place.

20131119-1a.jpg

20131119-1b.jpg

I've been tinkering with engine, painting and now feel it's finished.

20131119-1c.jpg

20131119-1cc.jpg

Have also been sorting out the pilots seat and surrounding gizmos. This is ready for fitment, but first I have to fix up the rudder bar that supports the instrument panel and the cannon breaches which fit either side of the panel.

20131119-1d.jpg

20131119-1e.jpg

20131119-1ef.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back