**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss Hawk 75A-2 - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was under the impression that there was a canvas interior "bag" in the wheel well.

There was. That canvas cover was removable though, held on with snaps similar to the type used on canteen covers for instance, so either way could be correct.

Me again Paul, it could be that were both right mate. Trolling through the pics from Glenn and I came upon these and I've just noticed Glenn's post.

H-75A 5-2-2 Wheel Bay.jpg

H-75A 5-2-3 Wheel Bay.jpg

It's been one of those days……………………!

designation of this canvas was : wheel pocket , ref 75-03-712 and snap 75-03-269. (catalogue spare parts french Curtiss Hawk 75 A1 A2)

this pocket prevent grass, mud or dust enter in the wing

behind the seat, there was a hole, but in this hole was fixed an armor plate oval same form that the hole

armor plate.jpg

The inside of flap and wing was finished with aluminium enamel, no yellow zinchromat, no interior green or similar

The two plates on the floor...

are like here

manche03.jpg

Last edited:
designation of this canvas was : wheel pocket , ref 75-03-712 and snap 75-03-269. (catalogue spare parts french Curtiss Hawk 75 A1 A2)

this pocket prevent grass, mud or dust enter in the wing

behind the seat, there was a hole, but in this hole was fixed an armor plate oval same form that the hole

View attachment 247779

The inside of flap and wing was finished with aluminium enamel, no yellow zinchromat, no interior green or similar

The two plates on the floor...

are like here

manche03.jpg

Many thanks kind sir, I was all ready to do the spraying in cockpit green and I certainly didn't know about the cockpit armour plating.

Hello,
This engine(Wright R-1820) is for the A4 model (Mohawk)...not for A1, A2 A3

Thanks again,

Once again my details are sketchy on this front but what I have tells me that the H75A-2 were fitted with the Pratt and Whitney R1830-SC-G (900hp) or R1830-SC3-G (1050hp) engine which is not dissimilar to the one I've tried to replicate as best I can. I should point out that I have already removed the small cylinder part at the base of the engine, realising that this should not be there. Are you in a agreement with the engine type or have you other information and if so any pictures.

Edit.

I have just found an example and have realised that the R1830 on the H75A-2 is a double banked 14 cylinder engine. Is this correct. If so it's back to the drawing board and a new engine!

Last edited:
Not sure which engine is correct for the model you're building Vic, but I should have it in my references at home and will check tonight. It looks like you have the parts to go either way but you're better off if it turns out to be the double row radial because the fuselage plug you have to add for the single row engine is not a good fit. It took a lot of filling and sanding to make it look good on the Hawk 75N I did for the last Foreign Service GB

Many thanks again for your input Waroff, it is really appreciated. Once again you have highlighted another error in my build, namely the number of cannon, I should only have two in the nose and two in the wings, one each side. I am still inclined to stick with the 75A-2 designation as the serial number of No 125 indicates it was an aircraft supplied in the second batch which started at serial numbers No 101. The 75A-2 was generally accepted and portrayed as a six cannon version which is partly incorrect, for I have read that in the second batch of aircraft supplied the first 40 arrivals were still only fitted with the single cannon in each wing and the two on the nose with the 900hp engine*.

Anyway, I've started working on a new engine and will also modify the wing cannon to reflect one in each wing.

* IPMS Stockholm.com

Not sure which engine is correct for the model you're building Vic, but I should have it in my references at home and will check tonight. It looks like you have the parts to go either way but you're better off if it turns out to be the double row radial because the fuselage plug you have to add for the single row engine is not a good fit. It took a lot of filling and sanding to make it look good on the Hawk 75N I did for the last Foreign Service GB

Many thanks for the offer Glenn, but I think I'll be right for the moment. I managed to down load a book on the P-36 last night which is going to be a big help. Your also right about the double row radial, it is going to be a tight fit.

Hey Paul you old tosser (a form of endearment……..really), I think you could well be right as other pics I'm just looking at point to there being a canvas type wheel bay……………………..Damn, Blast and Bu@@er…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………Looks like I may have to do a bit of fiddling to rectify as I have now removed them both.

A quick fix is to use some tissue soaked in a white glue and water mix, form fitted into the wheel well, and then painted in your favorite canvas color.
Tosser.... A term of endearment..... Hmmm..... O.k., not too familiar with the Aussie version. I will take your word for it!
(I've probably been called worse. And deserved it too,...when it get's right down to it!)

The 75A-2 was generally accepted and portrayed as a six cannon version which is partly incorrect, for I have read that in the second batch of aircraft supplied the first 40 arrivals were still only fitted with the single cannon in each wing and the two on the nose with the 900hp engine*.

I don't know exactly for the A2 with 4 guns had a A1 wing, or A2 wing with only 1 gun, and the second place was empty.
Behind the hole in the leading edge there was a shutter which shut down when no gun.

In the catalogue photographic spare parts of french Hawk 75 A1 A2, the wing with 1 gun is for A1, and two guns for A2, as you can see below

ailes_10.jpg

riveting left wing, right is symetrical but no landing light.
rivets10.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for looking in folks and for all the help and advice, between you, you've all helped me get over a number of problems.

So to the engine that was totally wrong. Obviously as I've now determined, the aircraft has a Pratt and Whitney R1830 14 cylinder double row 'Wasp' engine. I've had to start from scratch and it took me a while to realised that the kit has provided the Wasp option on the sprue, but this is very basic and sadly lacking in any reasonable detail. As also explained earlier, the building instructions are somewhat lacking in detail and are more focused on the use of the resin parts provided. Fool me for following this track.

Anyway, a rummage through the spares box turned up a couple of options and with a bit of juggling, filing and sawing I've managed to come up with something reasonable which was worth improving with a bit of ignition lead, cam rod and other detail. The pics I hope will tell the story. Next venture is to start the painting process.

20131116-1b.jpg

20131116-1a.jpg

20131116-1d.jpg

20131116-1c.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back