**** DONE: 1/48 EC Tiger ARH - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Vic, it's starting to take shape.
Geo, there are also various styles and gauges of mesh available from Eduard, and Plus Model also do two metal mesh sheets, and a silon mesh. Also, some household utensils can provide fine gauze, in both metal and silon (or plastic/nylon) - items such as tea strainers and seives, the fine, flexible type used in baking, and some filter materials also.

Good stuff Vic, it's starting to take shape.
Geo, there are also various styles and gauges of mesh available from Eduard, and Plus Model also do two metal mesh sheets, and a silon mesh. Also, some household utensils can provide fine gauze, in both metal and silon (or plastic/nylon) - items such as tea strainers and seives, the fine, flexible type used in baking, and some filter materials also.
And if you have a "head" shop near-by the screens sold there come in a variety of sizes and mesh, also brass or stainless.

Made some slow but productive progress today. Again working on the external air intakes and other areas that have mesh looking plastic.

This one I replaced before realising I'd forgotten to take a pic of the original.

120608-1A.jpg

I then attacked what is shown as a form of mesh on the model but in the Aussie Tiger looks to be an observation window and hatch on both sides of the chopper. So copying my Aussie reference pictures this was duly changed. I still have to make a template and add the hatch panel lines.

120608-1B.jpg

120608-1C.jpg

Next came a little bit of cockpit detail that I spotted on the reference pictures, a hand rail for the gunners position.

120608-1D.jpg

In the end I decided to install the air intake mesh that I made yesterday and you can see that I've blanked out the other intake that is not fitted to the Aussie machine.

120608-1E.jpg

The Tiger as it stands at the moment.

120608-1F.jpg

Many thanks guys.

Not me... I'm addicted to floatplanes..... One of these years I'm going to build a twin Beech (C-45) with floats...

Charles

Best get yourself a duck pond then Charles and don't forget your vote in the 'Next Generation Group Builds Listing' thread, it's got plenty of scope for float planes in it.

After an initial cleanup of the machine (sorting out join lines and such) I decided to attack the bun shaped dome over the gunners cockpit. At first I was going to copy Bill's Dremel idea, sticking several bits of plastic together and turning it into shape with a sanding stick. But NO, not this one.

Looking closely at some of the examples I realised that this bun thing was actually hollow and had a couple of bits of equipment inside that can be seen through a couple of slots, assumedly the laser and range finder. After racking the old brain cell on what and how to accomplish this, I came up with the following.

120609-1B.jpg

120609-1A.jpg

Some plastic coated paper, a template and some thickish plastic card.

120609-1C.jpg

Cut the coated paper to size and wrap round the template to form a ring. Glue the ring together and form a rough base for it.

120609-1D.jpg

120609-1E.jpg

File the base to shape, partition inside the ring and cut out the slots. I had a couple of bits lined up for the laser and range finder but in the end changed the clear bit for something that I though looked better. These were then housed in a couple of frames ready for painting.

120609-1F.jpg

120609-1G.jpg

After chores tomorrow I'll try to make the whole thing look a bit more like the real thing.

Nicely done Vic. It has the look of an upside down B-17G chin turret in the pics. Could have maybe carved a mould and moulded it in one piece, but it would still have needed shaping at one end at least, so your method is just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back