**** DONE: 1/48 F6F-5P VF-88 Yorktown - Jet/Recon/Transport GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In the photo at left, the numbers look like they might be white; there might be a 'RR' on the fin, but lost in the poor exposure and high contrast of the original shot.
The profile looks like it's had the numbers, and the star and bar, overlaid in grey, perhaps for ease of production when the 'artist' maybe used an existing profile to portray this machine, as the main part of the fuselage has a grey tinge over the blue, giving a blue-green appearance as a result.
The pic at right looks like there isn't a number on the fuselage, and might be the original subject for the profile.

Not an "RR" Bill but a VF-88 with the "R" in front of the star.

vf-882.JPG

(From the Squadron in Action Series)

Geo

Sorry for the confusion Terry.
The photo bottom left is off the web, as well as the photo on the right which is more common for Yorktown markings. Even at the high contrast, I don't think there was a fin marking on the bottom left photo.

The profile is overlaid with my artwork, which is at the top of the page. I overlaid it in gray just to show scale and placement. The RR in the profile, fin and underwing are the markings done on the profile artwork.

After looking at it for a long while, I am thinking the RR25 would not have been reversed for the starboard fuselage side. Now I wonder if the underwing port side and overwing starboard would have had the whole RR25, or just the RR painted which is the approach I may take. Star and bar would have been wingtop on port, and underwing starboard side.

I kinda like the uniqueness of the shipboard stenciling done on that RR25. The misshapen 25, and the odd placement of the cuts in the letters. I had found a photo of an aircraft marking, clearly done with a card cutout stencil with overspray white of the square of the stencil...

Bill

Geo, thanks for that photo, confirms my suspicions about the order of the RR25, and I took the photo into corel and there is a star and bar on the far port wing top, so there would be one on the underwing of the strbrd. Almost gives the appearance of a complete re-paint of the plane, no other detail service markings left. Very cool.

Yep Wurger, that was the usual marking of Yorktown A/C in 1945 at wars end. All Sqns had the dbl RR on the tails. F6F's, F4F's, the lot.

But me, being me, I'm after the unusual.......

Last edited:
As I pointed out, it's the unusual I am after.

Took my artwork to a sign shop, in a format they can cut from on their vinyl cutting plotters. After he gave me his minimum price, I set up my light box, top photo. ***BTW.... that Is an LED flash light taped to the edge of the table under the clear box!

With scalpel and steel straight edge, I saved myself a sh!tload of cash. I would rather spend it on model crap. I cut my stencils from a soft vinyl material used for sign masks and spray painting. Nicked it from my old job! I'll have to add some thin strips for the gaps in the letters as in the photo, no prob!

Picked it up with Tamiya tape and applied it to the sides, other side is applied. Strip the tape off and cover the rest of the 6 with Saran wrap and off I go, and I've got my Unusual!

Attachments

• GB17 F6F-5P 35a.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 35a.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 67
  • GB17 F6F-5P 35b.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 35b.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 71
  • GB17 F6F-5P 35c.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 35c.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Charles, this is the worst part for me. I do more vacillating during this process than any other part of my builds...... Painful.

It's turned out okay, I think. Some touch-up to do. Removing paint leaks at the recessed seams. I forgot the stencil lines???? Doh! Now I can progress to the polish coat and other decals. Sigh of relief.

***first time I've used cling wrap to cover! Whoever posted the tip, Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• GB17 F6F-5P 36a.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 36a.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 61
  • GB17 F6F-5P 36b.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 36b.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back