**** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Gannet AS.1 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys and as you say Terry, lots of bit, but we do have three cockpits, each one like a little black hole looking at the pics I've got.

Thank Jason.

Had a reasonably good day today with much doodling about in the hanger.

Spent a lot of yesterday hand cutting these dial face decals out with a sharp knife and trying to fit them to the instrument panel....
mad0235.gif

120826-1A.jpg

What a dumb cluck I was and what a mess I was making, but this morning, revitalised and with the brain cell overheating I realised that all I had to do was punch the damn decals out with my 'u beaut' punch set.

120826-1C.jpg

So having had that monumental though, I decided to clean out the messy decaling of yesterday, gently drilling out each dial face. Used a Dremel reamer in a pin-vice.

120826-1B.jpg

Then each depression was treated to a dab of white paint using a high tech toothpick and left to dry.

120826-1D.jpg

Meanwhile I stated picking out detail on the three black hole cockpits and a few other bits, again with the high tech tool.

Once I thought the paint was dry on the dials I again set to placing a wee decal in each, and then when all done I gently brushed on a coat of Future to help set the decals in. Most worked okay but, damn and blast it.....
b0407.gif
in 5 of those little devils holes the paint was not dry and the Future just gave the paint the opportunity to just run all over the place....
crying-022.gif

Well this was cleaned up as best I could by removing the decals and cleaning down with 'Q' tips. We then set about replacing the 5 dial faces but this time with the paint now dry I set each into the recess with a little dab of Future. This now where I'm at and though in the following pic, the instrument panel looks kind of yuky, come tomorrow we hope to rectify this.......
t2002.gif

Each of these following pics gives two shots of all the bits that go to making up each of the cockpits.

120826-1E.jpg

120826-1F.jpg

120826-1G.jpg

120826-1H.jpg

120826-1I.jpg

120826-1J.jpg

Last edited:
Looking goooood.

Black and red makes brown..... turns black when the red fades out.
Red and green makes brown, turns a pewey green when the red fades out.
Purple and orange makes brown, lasts muuuuuuch longer!
Learned this painting backgrounds when sign writing!

Thanks Andy and Karl.

Not a swivel seat Andy, it was just plonked in for effect during the photo shoot!!

I have to be honest, the instrument panel posted yesterday was not what I was looking for. Last night I applying some PVA to the dials only to find they were all milky this morning, which left me little option other than stripping everything back and starting again, though this time a little more slowly.

My feeling is that either the PVA is out of date or that it reacted with one of the other chemicals used on the panel i.e. decal solution, paint, thinners or the Future, who would know. So the first job of the day was to clean up the dial, drill them out again and then give them a new coat of black paint. Once this was truly dry, like this arvo, on went the dots of white to form the backing to the decals, this will dry overnight. I have also got a newer set of dial decals, less than 15 years old, which I will give a try.

120827-1A.jpg

120827-1B.jpg

120827-1C.jpg

In between repairs I also decided to smarten up the radar pod on the underbelly. The kit provides the option of fixing a suitable bulge over the solid plastic, but I want to make it look more like the movable component that it is, so I've cleaned out a hole and will fashion a scratch built dome later in the project.

120827-1D.jpg

The seats also received some attention today. The kit is somewhat lacking in this detail with the kit just providing the basics and no seat belts. Luck for me I've a few etched spares floating about so was able to add some realism.

120827-1E.jpg

I'm on a role so hopefully more tomorrow.

Badabing!!!!!!!!!!....................even Google don't know that one. In the words of one of our would like to have been immortals…….'Please Explain'

Oh, and thanks chappies.

Good stuff Vic. The 'milky' PVA is definitely a reaction, probably from the 'Future'. If any moisture touches the PVA, it will revert back tio it's original appearance, even if set. If this moisture is just water, once dry, the PVA will be clear again, but Future, for instance, will make it remain cloudy.
Just a point re the seat belts - the colour of British belts for that period would almost certainly be dark blue grey, possibly, but unlikely, silver grey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back